Drivers foot rests - Love them or hate them

Do you love or hate driver's footrests in cars?

• Love Them!

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Hate Them!

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I dont have one

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Thinking about them makes me want to kill something!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MinusZero

>LOAD "Something",8,1
Drivers foot rests - Love them or hate them?

The last two cars i have had have had drivers foot rests. I hate them so much, i find they just get in the way or are just in the wrong place, particularly if you have big feet.

I had one in my AU Falcon and it was too far left which meant you had to spread your legs wide open to use it.

My new Lancer is the same but not quite as bad.

I learned to drive in a manual Falcon and got use to putting my foot under the clutch pedal.

I still prefer to have my foot in that position in an automatic, but it seems impossible to have my legs straight ahead because of these annoying foot rests.

Does anyone else feel the same?

Frank Gardeners 'drive to survive' book had some instructions on how to make one for next to the clutch pedal, the late 70's was a different time!

Hmmm... My Audi and Volvo are both manuals and have comfortable footrests. The Audi even has a carpeted bulkhead on the RHS that's at the right distance to rest my right foot when I'm on cruise control. My size 10 feet don't have any problems fitting in either. Maybe the answer is to get a European car? ;-)

Jim, I have just spent a fews days "driving" (read "enduring the intolerable mess") around the Sydney CBD. I now have a new found respect for automatic transmissions and even garbage truck sized 4WD's (almost). You need the extra length of suspension to cope with the appalling roads in central Sydney. The TT's tight set up was getting hammered by pot holes or worse, service accesses with 80mm drops in the road surface everywhere and I must have made a thousand gear changes in three days! Sometimes even getting to 3rd or 4th with the occasional brief run in 5th or 6th on the "freeways" before shifting down again.

"Freeways" that are neither free from charge or offering freedom of motion. I changed speed so many times on the M5 carpark, I wasn't sure if I was driving my car or riding a swing! So glad to be home again.

Back
Top Bottom