Dunn Sheild Quals

No reason why a re-oil can not be done.

Afterall the Emerson Shield does it, and they bowl 10 games in a day, of 5 man teams.

They stop after 5 for an hour, re-oil, every gets a bite to eat, recharges the batteries, and away you go after that.

With the start time of dunn shield (Emerson Start time 9am) no reason why not possible......except cost to AMF

In the way of qualifying......

As Buzz pointed out:

if you bowl 3 leagues per week, and you have 3 weeks of qualifying, thats a possible 9 tries to make the top 12.

If you bowl 1 league per week, over the same period of time, you only get 3 tries to make the top 12.

Maybe open the league qualifying up to 6 or 8 weeks, and you must nominate the league your scores will come from. Only allow the bowlers to choose 1 league they can enter scores from. This can not be changed throughout the qualifying period.

This way the bowlers who bowl less often still have the same chances.

You can also still have the weekend qualifying sessions, over the same 3 games. If bowlers feel that they will not make it in through the 8 weeks of league. (charge the practice game rate, and add in top of that the qualifying attempt charged to league scores - whatever that is)

Just my thougths

Makes a lot of sense Lance, If they did it that way then everyone SHOULD be happy so it wouldn't matter if you prefer the weekend trials or league trials, only thing is that it would also give the people who bowl 9 league games the advantage of bowling another 3 attempts, geez I think even I might have a 15% chance of making the playoffs then, HMMMMMM still maybe not

Well i had a talk to Phil (the great one) and he thinks it is a good idea to stop
and have some lunch and a RE-OIL after 3 maybe 4 games
but we are only thinking about it at the moment
jason

Cant hold back anymore the main reason for having the roll offs this way is that out of 16 bowlers who make the team over the last 4 years i have been involved we would be lucky to get 8 people to help with the main fund raiser why should it be left to so few and others come along for the ride.This way the more times bowlers try to qualify the more funds we get together, All the suggetions are great but why dont you put it in writing and give it to Jim for him to look at and he in turn will chat to you to find a way of doing it better next year. I for one think if you make the team and dont want to do fundraising thats fine then you pay a nomination fee ie $60.00 towards shirt and linage and buy your own food and drinks on the day,as again its the same bowlers who help prepare the food and drinks for the weekend if i am wrong please tell me. Lets hope we get a great team together at Dandenong and bring home the Trophy. Bastie

come on Rusty - carry down shouldn't bother you. you can wack it up with the best of them.:showoff:

Hawka, Hawka, Hawka. You need to CALM down. lol
We at FRANKSTON don't have problems like this. If we don't wish
to participate in fundraising, it costs us $100. So either you pay,
fundraise or get kicked out of the team. Easy as that !!!

Look guys i did get some further info on this and i did hear that the try outs would be held over a couple of months not over 3 weekends as we first thought...so i guess that kinda opens it up somewhat for some decent attempts and it should get a few $$$$$ together as well...i guess at the moment it's all speculation until we get the word from Jim...but it's great to see the ideas floating around...some of them are really great.

Thanx Jason for having a word to Phil about a lunch break and re-oil i too will have a chat tonite about it with him and see if we cant push hard enough to get the desired result...

cheers Mary

Hey guys, I rang Phil tonight and it looks like oiling the lanes after 3 or 4 games and having a lunch break is gonna happen, so a warm heartfelt thanks will suffice when you all start bowling the house down after lunch. And you won't have so much time after bowling to go out for dinner (hey Mary)
Cheers
Russell

Can someone please tell me the actual date of Dunn Shield this year?

I'm pretty sure it's 10 & 11 November but I'm not positive...

Except for last year shield has always been the weekend after Melbourne Cup. In reference to a lunch break, the first year I made a shield team we had a lunch break & the lanes were re-done. That was in the late '80s & why it changed to no lunch break has always puzzled me. As for fundraising I think it's a case of whatever works, 'cause if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dunn Shield weekend has not changed since 2004 at least (i was not involved and have no idea previously) and is the first weekend in November this year according to the staff at Dandy last night, Melbourne Cup as always is the first Tuesday and Dunn shield appears to be the first weekend so there will be clashes occasionally.
Cheryl

I understand Dunn Shield to be on the 10th & 11th November as the Warnambool Cup is being held on the 3rd & 4th November which is the Melb Cup weekend. I was told about Warnambool by Patrick Birtig then again i have been wrong before. And Dunn Shield has definatley been on the Melb Cup weekend since 2004.

Back
Top Bottom