Dunn Sheild/ Rachuig Clash

R

REDRUM

:confused: Can anyone enliten me on the date clash for these events. Originally i thought it was silly that the powers to be could not find alternative dates for these 2 top events. I have been informed by a person who has been involved in bowling for a long while that Dunn sheild was conceived so that bowlers who maybe couldn't quite make the state team could have the next best thing in bowling against all other AMF centres in there state.:confused:

Sometimes it clashes (this year and 2003), sometimes it doesn't and they are a week apart (2002 and 2004). Probably affects 8 bowlers or so.

Having the clash might even the playing field for D.S. and make the competition closer.

What matters is not who is missing. What does matter is that the bowlers you do have representing your centre are committed, will work as a team and will enjoy themselves.

Sumo

:p I have only had the pleasure of bowling Dunn sheild once and enjoyed the weekend immensely. I would imagine anyone representing there centre would give 100 %.

would still be nice to bowl in both though as they are both great tournaments.

a couple of years ago the clash was kind of understandable with the rugby world cup and all but reasons for future clashings I can only put down to poor management on the decision making of Rachuig dates as Dunn Shield is always on the same weekend each year.

the idea of these events are you not only have fun and enjoy yourselves but be able to put your best team forward and unfortunately a couple of centres were not capable of doing this in 2005 due to the clash.

but life must go on. can't dwell on the little things.

cos if you do all you will achieve is a great big chip on your shoulder.

Is there a reason why TBA cannot prepare there calender of events for next year now.If not could anyone explain why. Each sanctioned bowler pays them to provide a profesional service to Tenpin bowling Australia wide.Maybe they could acknowledge that events like the Dunn sheild are played on the same weekend each year as is the Melbourne cup ,Sth Australian cup etc.:cool:

TBA announced the 2005 National dates nearly 2 years ago and the 2006 National Dates back in March this year (October 11th to October 28th, 2006).

Plenty of time for the Dunn Shield organisers to avoid a clash I would have thought.

I can understand clashes in the host state for Nationals should be avoided but it would be impossible to avoid clashes of all sorts in 8 states and territories.

After all, these are the National Championships, I can't imagine that the organisers should be looking to avoid a date clash with a local non-accredited tournament outside of the host state.

The Nationals are in their 44th year and should take precedence.

Bugs is right,
Dunn shield is a great tournament but it is only a state tournament that involves only 12 centres (the AMF ones). That's less than a third of the centres in the state which rates it probably behind Emerson Shield and on an equal footing with Country Cup. If there is a clash of dates and it is seen as detrimental to Dunn shield (and I don't believe it is) then the Dunn shield organisers (not TBA) should consider a change in dates

Graeme

I here what your saying guys but Dunnshield has a set weekend every year.

why does Rachuig and the Nationals threrefore come up with different dates each and every year, if they came up with a date that said the nationals and rachuig always fall under the same dated criteria then other non important tournaments as you put them can move around it. Surely then other centres around Australia would not plan many semi elite tournaments as everybody (being the majority of tournament bowlers) would be at nationals so it would be silly to hold such an event on the same dates.

does this not then increase the chance of having bigger numbers at Nationals. its not only the fact that alright several of us will be missing out on DunnShield but how many people that did not realise at the start of Dunnshield and Rachuig trials that many people would be missing out on the Nationals. I know I wouldn't go to the Nationals if I have already made a Dunnshield team. again would have been nice to be given better oportunities to enter both. work it out how many people bowl Dunnshield that are not getting the chance to bowl at the Nationals because of the clash.

Fair?

I say no. Improvements can still be made whether i am right or wrong.

quite a lot of talent not bowling in the nationals this year from victoria alone. bet you no one will be saying boo hoo about that one!!!!!!

just ignore my second part :rolleyes: in last post
don't know what I was thinking at the time.
but still I wouldn't be travelling to the nationals if I had a Dunn Shield meet to prepare for being so close.

Buzzer

The dates for Nationals can not be locked in to the same dates every year. Unlike Dunn Shield the Nationals move from state to state and as previously mentioned I'm sure TBA try to avoid clashes in the host state.

You are right, in 2003, they were delayed to avoid the Rugby World Cup.

This year, they are at Illawarra and have been delayed in order to avoid the NSW school holidays and a shortage of accommodation in this area over this period.

Additionally, the ATBSO Championship occupies the first week pushing the Australian Nationals back one week.

I was wondering how many Dunn Shield teams or bowlers competed in the Nationals last year when it was in your home state?

don't know personally,

maybe somebody could post a poll and ask the question how many people bowled both Dunn Shield and Nationals last year.

obviously we wouldn't get acurate enough figures but i'm just saying without the clash the chances of larger numbers of Nationals would/should be greater.

it just seems that Rachuig/Nationals is getting pushed further and further back on the calendar - just thought it would be a good idea to maybe create some kind of criteria where it always fell in to roughly the same time so no one would take these dates for semi to major tournaments.

But hey - instead of thinking creatively from now on i'll just put it in the too hard basket like most of the people on this site do.

:rolleyes: What seems to be a problem is that nothing has changed in the views by State and Australian organising bodies is still at arms length.:mad:

A possibilty to avoid the clash in future may be to move Dunn Shield to an earlier month. Nationals now seems to held throughout October and into November.

I know emerson Shield moved its date to the last weekend of November to avoid future clashes, due to clashing on the odd years that Dunn Shield did not.

Perhaps move dunn Shield to 2nd weekend of September perhaps, would not clash with Nationals or ECCC l think.

1st weekend is out with SPC, 3rd with ECCC l think, last with Grand Final
maybe go as far back as end of August.

Just ideas as the Nationals will continue to move around that time of year, due to constraints within the host state. Next years dates are known perhaps AMF could look at the dates for Next Year prior to this years event.

I know of a few bowlers who would have bowled, but not know due to nationals duties.

It was stated to me many years that it being dunn sheild was not ment for the elite bowlers thus they made them clash.....renta

The elite don't alway tryout/make Rachuig,

does this mean the elite are not welcome to bowl Dunnshield.

Not directing this towards you Mickey as I too have heard this statement and just think its narrow minded as there are quite a lot of elite bowlers in Melbourne that don't bowl rachuig and just think its a shame that the belief from amf that their are only ever up to 7 elite men and woman at any one time in the year in vic. Although it is nice to be placed in that cetegory:D

Surely AMF would love to show off as many as possible of their elite bowlers to the crowds in their biggest teams event in victoria:rolleyes:

maybe not.

And what about Dunnshield 2006 - Are we going to see the face of a new centre to the list or are we going to lose another centre to keep it even;)

The Elite
u must be now talking about the Knox Dunn Shield Team...........2005
Ha Ha

The best bowler's can not alway's try out for Rachuig as the cost's can hold people back don't u think:rolleyes:

Gary.......................................:cool:

:eek: Gary you are correct in the cost factor, fund raising seems to go on forever for some who make the team.Thats not the fault of the person who wishes to represent their state it's just a fact.
Renta that was part of my original question and you have heard the same as me about why Dunn sheild and Rochuig clash.

Back
Top Bottom