Dunn Sheild Quals

scooby sue

Widower
Hi all,
Just wondering on your opinion on the best method of choosing the Dunn Sheild team! The current rumors at Dandenong is that the qualifying will be held in league. To me, this is just a money spinner for the centre, as you will get every tom, dick and harry trying out. Last year was a 4 game qualifying, with the choice of playing over 4 weekends (just in case you needed to!!) with the top 12 playing off head to head. I still don't believe this is enough - 6 games would be better, keeping the top 12 play off!!
I would like to hear how it was done in different centres, and where they finished as a reflection!!
Sue

Sunshine Has $2.00 with your league scores then the top 12 i think play off head to head and then top scores become the team for the year.
$2.00 is nothing and then if someone happens to bowl better than you, you have another chance to make it. If any tom, dick or harry want to try then the chances are that they may not even make the cut.. so you dont really need to worry and if they do then you try to knock them out during play off. Its scratch scores so their handicaps arn't going to help them here.

League qualifying in my opinion is unfair.

league patterns especially at Dandenong vary somewhat, giving different qualifying standards for all. also there should be a set limit on qualifying.

in the past you had 3 weekends to qualify. everyone has a chance to qualify up to 6 times or so if they wished. i myself only bowl 1 league at the moment and I know several bowlers who bowl up to 4 nights a week at Dandenong. The amount of qualifying should be equal to all. If it were held over 3 weeks as history has shown i would only get 3 attempts if it were to be held in league. where as others could get as many as 12. I don't see that a fair field.

I don't think I will be trying out for Shield again this year however just giving some examples of how I belive league qualifying can be viewed as unfair to some players.

Problems at Dandy already.
So this year we could have more
people making the team by default.
lol:argue:

I think a good idea is over 3 roll offs, on varying patterns,with some kind of an incentive scheme to try out more than once. That way you will find a more consistent bowler and thus have a better team.

I think a good idea is over 3 roll offs, on varying patterns,with some kind of an incentive scheme to try out more than once. That way you will find a more consistent bowler and thus have a better team.

Forest Hill is doing this having 3 little tournaments over 3 days 1 each month on 3 different patterns. the guys will be bowling on 3 patterns, Short Oil - Long Oil - and another for the 3rd roll off with incentives at the first to roll off's and the women are over 2 days on Short or Long and the other on a normal pattern and the juniors also over 2 days.

Chris

Buzz's statement is viable, especially at Dandy as they only really service one league, and the rest can struggle!! The only problem with having to turn up to 3 roll off's is that you need to be available for all 3!! Not saying it's a bad thing, but just a little inconvenient!

Sue

Forest Hill is doing this having 3 little tournaments over 3 days 1 each month on 3 different patterns. the guys will be bowling on 3 patterns, Short Oil - Long Oil - and another for the 3rd roll off with incentives at the first to roll off's and the women are over 2 days on Short or Long and the other on a normal pattern and the juniors also over 2 days.
Chris

When is the roll off for FH?

Vi

The 3 Roll Off's don't think set in stone but in the meeting thinking about the last weekend June, July & August. but don't think there set in stone and trials are $60 dollars each but there are incentives at each trial.

Chris

Having Dunn Shield qualifying over a certain time during league is the best way to get fundraising, & also allows everyone to have a go. There is no expense for game rates, whereas all the monies raised goes towards the team.

After last years fundraising attempt at Dandenong, where there was only a few certain people that could make time for the sausage sizzle, this way it may eliminate having to do fundraising this way.

My previous experiences at other centres we never had to do fundraising due to qualifying during league & I believe this is the best way to do it.

This is my opinion on the subject.

Alan

I definitely have to agree with Al on this one...It gets tiresome and some what annoying when certain people year in year out seem to put in 100% with fundraising and others just reap the benefits of their hard work....If this system eliminates the need for fundraising then i'm all for it...I believe that it
also has been suggested that for those that make the team if they are still required to do fundraising and for whatever reasons cannot.... they will be asked to pay a certain fee upfront to cover their cost of e.i. shirts, lineage & Meals.

I really dont think it matters if you bowl in 1 league or 10 just to qualify, ( although i do understand what you are saying Buzz about the different lane conditions) but I do feel the 12 games matchplay will make the difference and the cream will always rise to the top.

Cheers Mary

all i'm saying is equal qualification time should be given to all.

whether you fix this by allowing people to go down on a sunday arvo
and pay practice rates for these games then the dunn shield fee on top of that is fine but you can't, in my opinion lock it in for just league unless it is run for a substantial amount of time. 3 weeks is not long enough. with the amount of post bowls being asked for of late on a thursday night is beyond the joke and wouldn't take much for some people to be limited or even miss out.

as stated earlier I don't think i'll be bowling anyway but just needs to be thought out a little bit more clearly and not made up last minute as it appears to be here as Dandenong normally have a structure well before now.

Dandenong have had a winning & Competitive formula for years. Why change it. The message has been loud and clear previuosly. If your not willing to fundraise don't bother trying out. Maybe this just needs enforcement if that is all the problem really is.

however they end up doing it. I don't see how runnig qualifying in league whether it cost $2 or even $10 per person is going to stop us from having to fundraise. most monies raised for shield qualifying is mostly given to the junior teams to help them. so I don't see anyone getting away from having to Fundraise. Sorry Guys its a fact of Shield. at dandy anyway

Hey Mary
I think you're right on both counts... Fundraising should be shared by all, not just the few and
Whatever way is used to get the qualifying list together is unimportant, the cream will rise to the top in the matchplay.
As an aside, not only does cream rise to the top of the milk, scum also rises to the top of the pond, lol..
Sumo

Fundraising done through the bowl will only go towards the shirts and lineage. In the many years I have been bowling Dunn Shield a big part of being a team is fundraising together, with monies going towards the lunches and maybe a bbq a couple of weeks before hand and a drink afterward. This always brings a bigger sense of support of each other. We know one of the biggest advantages as a team is support and togetherness.

Anyway, getting back to the point of qualifying, in the end I will be trying out no matter how the bowl wants to run it.

Sue

Something i'm wondering about is during the 2 days of Dunn Shield why is it necessary to try to eat sandwiches or whatever while your trying to bowl, Why cant they stop for a lunch break for an hour and re oil the lanes instead of continuing to bowl the entire day in worsening conditions, Surely it's not a huge problem to finish at 4.30-5.00 instead of 3.30-4.00 anyone got any opinions on this and if so who could you raise them with

I've never understood that Russ, why cant we have a break and a bite to eat so that they can re-oil...it just makes so much sense..I recall the year we bowled at Frankston just how dry the lanes got and how many injuries we had at the end of it....we start so early and finish at a time where if the team should want to get together afterwards for dinner you either have to go home first ( which isn't always viable if the tourny is held across town ) or you have to try and kill afew hours so most of the time we give it a miss.
but so much more importantly...a re-oil would be fantastic!

Hi Russ & Mary
I will talk to Phil at Moorabbin about it tonight as i am working there.
I think it is a great idea nothing worst than trying to eat while trying to bowl.
you get crumbs all over the lane. lol
Jason

A re-oil would be great - last year at Sunshine bowling the last 3 games were atrocious, especially on the positional round where our team had to bowl on the lanes that the guys had been on all day - OMG they can suck the oil out of the lanes!!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom