Deoiling bowling balls

15carrty

hey guys just wondering what the best way to deoil bowling is as i really need to do it, i have heard of a few ways but please tell me your ideas thanks

There are numerous ways; which one is the best probably comes down to personal preference and how much you trust yourself...

I've used the oven (LOL) on an old crappy ball and it seemed to work okay....
Most success I have had is the warm bucket of water and submerging the ball; once you get a nice buildup of oil on the top of the water; i change the water, and start again... I keep doing this until I hardly get any oil out; then a good clean on a ball spinner.. :)

Hope that helped!

The Immersion Method that Ryan_E mentions is the one widely recognised by all the MAJOR ball companies.

15carrty, as I worked in Pro-Shops for many years, I found Ebonites Hook Again as the best and most reliable method to invigorate the Ball, I did it in conjunction with a re-surface and had 100% results.

willey

I find that it also helps to minimise the oil absorbtion in the first place. Wipe it properly clean after EVERY shot with a good cloth, e.g. Microfibre. Then when you get home, or as soon as practical, sponge wash it with warm to hot water with a dash of dishwashing detergent added. ( Rinse that off with clean hot water ). Doing that, I find that it is a long, long time before you get a build-up in the ball.

Scuff with 500 grit pad.... Bucket of hot water, with some Simple Green...

Rinse and repeat...

Deep Clean (Hot Water Bath method)

This procedure helps to make sure that the ball is not subjected to any extreme temperature changes that could cause the cover to crack or separate from the core.

Though the process is easy, don't rush the steps!

1. Have the ball wet sanded to about 400-grit to open the cover's pores.
2. Fill a tub or bucket (15L buckets work well) with hot tap water and about 2-3 teaspoons of Dawn dish detergent (any is fine).
3. Wash the ball using a washcloth or a scotch brite pad (burgundy or green) for a few minutes.
4. Remove the ball from the soapy water and rinse the tub (or bucket) clean and refill it with hot water (no soap).
5. Place the ball in the water and wash it clean with a clean cloth or new scotch brite pad. You will probably notice that a soapy film will appear in the water. This is residue that was trapped in the coverstock (much like the oil and dirt was).
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until no soapy residue remains, this make 2 or3 times to achieve, depending upon the amount of soap that was used. You don't want to use too much soap, but you need enough to cut through the oil and dirt.
7. After the soap has been completely removed from the coverstock, allow the ball to air dry at room temperature.
8. Have the ball wet sanded with 400-grit paper and then follow the steps to bring it back to its factory finish as described by the manufacturer (below)

Storm / Roto Factory Finishing Procedures

1000-grit Factory Finish
1. 500-grit Abralon pad - Sand for 15 seconds on all four sides of the ball
2. 2000-grit Abralon pad - Sand for 30 seconds on all four sides
Storm suggests repeating Step 2 from above every 20 or 30 games and both Steps every 60 to 80 games

2000-grit Factory Finish
1. 500-grit Abralon pad - Sand for 15 seconds on all four sides
2. 2000-grit Abralon pad - Sand for 50 seconds on all four sides
Storm suggests repeating Step 2 from above every 20 to 30 games and both Steps every 60 to 80 games

4000-grit Factory Finish
2. 4000-grit Abralon pad - Sand for 60 seconds on all four sides
Storm suggests repeating Step 2 from above every 20 to 30 games and both Steps every 60 to 80 games

1500-grit Polished Factory Finish
2. Grey Scotch-Brite pad - Sand for 40 seconds on all four sides
3. Storm Step Two - Polish lightly for 15 seconds on two sides
Storm suggests repeating Steps 2 and 3 from above every 20 to 30 games or repeating all steps 60-to 80 games

3500-grit Polished Factory Finish
2. 1000-grit Abalon pad - Sand for 20 seconds on all four sides
3. 2000-grit Abralon pad - Sand for 25 seconds on all four sides
4. 4000-grit Abralon pad - Sand for 30 seconds on all four sides
5. Storm Xtra Shine - Polish for 30 seconds on two sides
Storm suggests repeating Steps 3 to 5 every 40 to 60 games and utilizing all Steps when a track becomes noticeable

These five Steps to restore Storm bowling balls to original factory finishes will be very useful in maintaining a controllable ball reaction and preserving the life of the coverstock on your equipment. Of course, you can modify the techniques to prepare the ball surfaces to any degree of texture you wish for specific lane conditions.

I can guarantee there is not one person on this forum that knows ball surfaces and the limitations of sandpaper like George Frilingos.

As like most bowlers I do not de-oil my balls far enough. I have used the dish washer (much to wife's displeasure) once. Read about it on web. Secret is not too hot and allow to cool slowly in dish washer. Then use ball spinner to resurface. I was very happy with results.

Just wrap your gear up in microfiber towels and leave them in the boot of your car on a hot day, then just run a cleaner over them, with a clean rag, works every time..

Just wrap your gear up in microfiber towels and leave them in the boot of your car on a hot day, then just run a cleaner over them, with a clean rag, works every time..

Yeah and when you go to get them out of the boot ( wow there is a big crack in the ball now ) lol.

Back
Top Bottom