Hows a Bowling Ball Made?

KriDdLe

Ok... this probably sounds really stupid.. but ive been bowling for ten years and i dont even know how a bowling ball is made?

can anyone tell me a site where i could find out?

wouldnt mind to know hey?

I dont know a site but i know a bit about it
from what i know is they first construct the core and then hang that core in a mould using a pin, they then pour in the covestock around the core and when its finished they remove the pin and then fill the hole there with filler material.

Re: How's a Bowling Ball Made?

G'Day!

Storm53 is basically on the money, although you could make the pin out of a urethane compound and just cut and grind it off like a plug. The tricky part is in working out the geometry of weight blocks to get the volumes right for whatever weight resin you intend to use for the weight block, cover stock and any fill material. (Not too difficult these days if you can drive a 3D CAD system. Hell, some of them can simulate the ball on a lane condition for you, if you've got a spare couple of months!) Also, if the block shifts a tiny amount (like 1/64") in the casting process, you'll get something like a 4" pin out ball. Back in the days of symmetrical cores and no reactive resin, these were quite good to use, but I'm not so sure with today's Frankenstein balls.

There are also some deceptively simple rules with complicated results regarding radius of centroidal gyration (how far the real centre of gravity -not the one marked on the surface - is from the centre of the ball), coefficient of restitution (how much force is "reflected" by the ball on impact) et cetera.

I investigated this some 10 years ago, while a partner in pro-shop crime investigated urethanes. On the subject of urethanes, RUN AWAY! Lots of people he spoke to in the urethane manufacturing industry had horrendous skin disorders and lung trouble as a result of prolonged exposure to these emitting substances. It scared the bejeesus out of us! These are not materials to be played with lightly.

Ball construction is fascinating, but it's a rabbit hole that goes a looong way down Alice!

Cheers,
Jason

Back
Top Bottom