Country Cup 2006

Woza said:
Winners on debut - in either mens or ladies
Nicky was debut winner for LV back in 96 plus got overall, Motta debut that year too.
Longy Debut for LV 2004 win and overall take out.
Just to get you sta:rolleyes: rted

Thanks for that Kevin - i can update my records now.
Happy to hear that you are enjoying the stats. I think some of the names from the past bring back memories for a lot of people.
I personally think Woza may be trying to take the p*** out of me a little, but i can't resist a challenge lol

I hope everybody has had a chance to check out Gary's website with the links he provided. It's a fantastic effort the detail in the site is huge!! I'm really impressed every bowler from every association listed thats unreal!!

This thread is a great read, our trials are this weekend so we'll have some teams for you shortly!

ps Gary do you have too much time on your hands or what? lol :p

Gatsby said:
Happy to hear that you are enjoying the stats. I think some of the names from the past bring back memories for a lot of people.
I personally think Woza may be trying to take the p*** out of me a little, but i can't resist a challenge lol
I never take the p*** out of you Gary. Kevin with his 17 starts and no mens win was a big suprise
I think that it makes for some interesting reading and you can see stats that otherwise would never be seen. Anyone that hasnt been to Garys web site it is definetly worth a look and a credit to Gary with the information that is on there.
And I havent even gotten around to ask him what lane I was on in game 3 1999 and what I scored in the 3rd frame;) - And no I dont expect an answer.
By the way been it was pointed out to me tonight at the bowl from other people who have been caught up in the CCup stats topic that there were two more guys David Mumford and Glenn Robinson both Latrobe Valley and both Left Handed.

No Gary I wasnt yanking your chain - (have just been flicking through he stuff that you posted today) Although I did try and give it a little tug in the previous post.

Definetly some interesting results in there and some many people on debut.

I knew that there was a few that would have all three in a year and the fact that no-one has bowled everyl game and been undefeated will take a mamoth effort to pull that off but somthing to aim towards.

Might be worth posing what results you dont have Gary and see if we can get the blanks filled in

Woza said:
And I havent even gotten around to ask him what lane I was on in game 3 1999 and what I scored in the 3rd frame;) - And no I dont expect an answer.
Game 3 1999 - Lanes 9 & 10 -- Latrobe Valley 928 (6 pts) Geelong 830 (1 pt) -- Don't have individual scores for that game though... lol

Purple_Tweety said:
ps Gary do you have too much time on your hands or what? lol :p
It doesn't take that long to work out everything now because i have all the info in a database and just run the right query and it gives me most of the answers. It took a hell of a long time to set up though - i was single then and i think i did have WAY too much time on my hands!
The website i have also been working on for quite a few years and it has been online for three or four years but i did not tell anyone the address so noone knew about it - until this year at Geelong when they printed out all the results from my site and put it on their display boards. It is pretty amateur and the popups are annoying but it does contain an awful lot of data - which is the main thing.
There is a huge amount of interest in the results and i just wanted to try to get as much info as possible before it was too late. Maureen Way gave me a stack of info from the eighties and early nineties that i did not have (my records started in 1992) and Kathy Smith, Di Ryan and Niaomi Chettleburgh were also very helpful. As per Woza's suggestion i will post what i have and what i don't in the coming days and see if we can fill some more gaps

ok mr stat man (mr gatsby)

i want to know the point winners, cause at the end of the day, its not how many pins you knock over thats important, its how many points you win

how about the top 10 winning percentages over say 5 cups or 50 games, cause at the end of the day, these are the guys i want to bowl with

and for curiosity sakes who has the top 10 losing percentages, for those that like a free ride or an excuse to bench someone

geelong has doubled everyone in shooting 1000's yet won well under half the tournaments

Gatsby said:
Game 3 1999 - Lanes 9 & 10 -- Latrobe Valley 928 (6 pts) Geelong 830 (1 pt) -- Don't have individual scores for that game though... lol
At least I picked one when we won;)

Gatsby said:

I'm enjoying he read as well.
I tried a little tongue-in-cheek p*** taking earlier on but realized that I was batting (bowling) out of my league in about 5 seconds.
Gary, are there any other gaps in your records that we can help with? Perhaps we can put a call out across the state to try and fill in the holes.

Didn't think it would take long for Craig to begin to weigh in on some of the discussions.

PS I think Ian Irving bowled for Ballarat in about '92. He bowls on the wrong side of the lane as well

Graeme

granat said:
PS I think Ian Irving bowled for Ballarat in about '92. He bowls on the wrong side of the lane as well
Graeme
Can't find any record of Ian Irving in Ballarat Country Cup side for any year.
Was Neil Hardy a leftie?

craig said:
how about the top 10 winning percentages over say 5 cups or 50 games, cause at the end of the day, these are the guys i want to bowl with
and for curiosity sakes who has the top 10 losing percentages, for those that like a free ride or an excuse to bench someone
This will not be 100% accurate because some years do not have points won on the standing sheets (years missing points are 2005, 2002, 1997, 1996, 1992, 1990)
So using your suggestion of 50 games minimum the top dozen are:
Dean McKinnon.... Sunraysia.... 73.68% …...(76 games)
Jamie Lloyd.... Ballarat.... 70.00% …...(50gms)
Anthony Flynn.... Geelong.... 68.10% …...(58)
Phil Noad.... Ballarat.... 67.21% …...(61)
Garry Rowe.... Albury / Ovens & Murray.... 66.35% …...(52)
Greg Clark.... Geelong.... 65.48% …...(84)
Graeme Osborn.... Warrnambool.... 64.00% …...(50gm)
Merv Billing.... Colac.... 63.61% …...(294)
Harry Johannsen.... Ballarat.... 63.41% …...(82)
Brad Lay.... Sunraysia.... 63.16% …...(95)
Paul Hrynyszyn.... Latrobe Valley.... 62.79% …...'(86)
Bryan Woszczeiko.... Latrobe Valley.... 61.70% …...'(94)

Flynny's percentage would go up after this year where he bowled 21 games and did not lose too many (i saw two losses there may be been more though)

Worst 10 -- again i stress some years are missing. Some of these people could have had blinder in the years that i don't have points for.
Frank Bowen.... Sunraysia.... 32.00%.... (50games)
Paul Stanton.... LV & Cent Gipps.... 34.31%.... (51)
Robert Boxshall.... Bendigo.... 35.82%.... (67)
Graeme Green.... Ovens & Murray.... 35.94%.... (64)
Max Dwyer.... Bendigo.... 36.79%.... (53)
Jason McConkey.... Shepparton.... 38.89%.... (63)
Peter McKane.... Warrnambool.... 40.00%.... (50gm)
Michael Kellow.... Ben/Sun/Warrn.... 41.82%.... (55)
Peter Gallagher.... Ballarat.... 42.13%.... (89)
Adam Bagg.... Warrnambool.... 43.57%.... (70gm)

craig said:
geelong has doubled everyone in shooting 1000's yet won well under half the tournaments
Here is a breakdown of Geelong Men's 1000's (again i don't have all years - but this is what i do have)
2005 - 18 - Won
2000 - 9 - Won
1993 - 8 - Won
1998 - 7 - Won
2002 - 5 - Won
2004 - 4 - 2nd
This covers 51 of the 63 that i have. They probably bowled quite a few in 1995 when they finished 2nd because they averaged 994. I only have records of two of them 1103 (high series on standing sheet) and 1006 - bowled against Colac. It seems they bowl well and score lots above 1000 and win or finish close - or they bowl low scores and finish well down
2003 - 0 - 6th
1999 - 0 - 7th

Gatsby said:
Here is a breakdown of Geelong Men's 1000's (again i don't have all years - but this is what i do have)
2003 - 0 - 6th

1000's in 2003 were as rare as diamonds

If my memory serves me right there were only 3 in the mens division for the whole weekend. The teams were Colac and Latrobe Valley and I think it was 1 to Colac 2 to us (no doubt Gary will confirm).

Actually we did not bowl a 1000 in 2003 (981 was our best)
1005 to Latrobe Valley
1032 and 1001 Warrnambool
1000 Shepparton
It has only been the last 10 years or so that 1000's have become common. A lot of the early years there was usually only a couple per year. Mildura in 1990 there were none (anyone who was there would not be suprised to hear that)

Intersting fact -
That apart from the top 10 and bottom 10 there is less than 20% difference win/loss ratio for everyone else over 50 games.
Also to Merv 294 games with a 63.6% strike rate=D>

Woza said:
Intersting fact -
That apart from the top 10 and bottom 10 there is less than 20% difference win/loss ratio for everyone else over 50 games.
I think it is also due to the fact that if you are good enough to have bowled over 50 games you are probably going to win a reasonable amount of points. If you look at some of the people who have only bowled once or twice some of their % points are quite low
Six people have bowled a year without winning a point (bowled between 2 and 6 games)

Woza said:
Also to Merv 294 games with a 63.6% strike rate=D>
And especially when you consider he bowls 99% of his games either in first spot or anchor - not many easy games in either of those two spots - he is a pretty special bowler (though having seen him bowl for the past 25 years i am probably a little biased). First allstars team 1983 and most recent allstars 2004.

To follow on from low points talk. If you narrow it to 30 games minimum there is a few of low %.
Daryl Ogilvie.... Sale........ 16.13%.... (31)
John Hagley.... Bendigo.... 23.33%.... (45)
Leonard Waight.... Bendigo.... 23.33%.... (30gm)
Jo Scicluna.... Sale & District.... 25.00%.... (34)
Peter Dedourek.... Ovens & Murray.... 26.53%.... (49)
Eddie Petersen.... Shepparton.... 27.27%.... (33)
Stephen Wines.... Warrnambool.... 28.13%.... (32)
Allan Charles.... Sunraysia.... 29.17%.... (48gm)
Luke Hall.... Sale........ 30.00%.... (30gm)
David Portelli.... Ovens & Murray.... 31.25%.... (32)
Paul Robinson.... Geelong.... 32.89%.... (38gn)
Luke Roberts.... Sunraysia.... 33.33%.... (30gm)
Steve Ovenden.... Sunraysia.... 33.87%.... (31)

Hi Gatsby,
Will have a look in the archives and see if we can dig up some individual win/loss results from 1990 for you.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom