Country Cup 2006

Impressive!!
Can you break it down into left and right handers and what brand of equipment they were using?

Graeme

could probably do right handed versus left handed at a push (had not actually thought of that one) but as for equipment etc no
PS don't be a smarta***! lol

Thanks Gary
Have to think of somthing abit harder next time
I knew that Webby had been in a few before we won in 2004 as he missed 1999 but who would have thought Big Kev 17 starts and Rowey with 19 for no cigar - you dont realise until you said the other week top 5 in the last 7 years. Hey Kev if you do manage to pull one off in the future it is your shout
Greg Clark 5 wins from 7 outings everyone ould love a racehouse that has hat sor of return - you would have to give him automatic selection wouldnt you

I did qualify the Rowey statement by saying that i don't have the team members for Shepparton in 1982 when they won -- he may have been in the team (and probably was).
Kev has also been in three overall wins - just no winning Men's (although they were equal first in 2002 before losing the 1 game playoff). Also stats are not the be all and end all. We won in 1994 with a guy in our team that averaged 156. In 2004 we had two bowlers in the allstars and finished 28 points behind the winners. It is not about individuals it is about the whole team firing.
For graeme (Men stats only)
2005 -- Geelong -- Righties ave 189.68 -- Lefties 185.46
2004 -- Morwell -- Righties ave 180.79 -- Lefties 176.64
2003 -- Colac -- Righties ave 169.68 -- Lefties 181.25
Who said Colac was a lefties ditch! (everyone)

Woza said:
Greg Clark 5 wins from 7 outings everyone ould love a racehouse that has hat sor of return - you would have to give him automatic selection wouldnt you
He would certainly get a game with us!
Very good return - but no real surprise. He has a 197 average for his 120 games bowled.
4 of the 5 wins A. Flynn was also in the team and P Campbell was in three. The fifth year (the one that Flynny missed) Carmers, Dean King and Warren Hinchliffe made allstars.
(Flynny has 4 from 7)

hi all will there are a lot of big names not bowling it year why??????
so graeme why did this guy from last year team not trile thes year
Woody, Meyer, Burns Mattai, may be i should come back to ballarat and bowl? what where the ave to make the team?
macca;)

Hey Gatsby

I am really impressed you've done well to collate and put up all that imformation, a fair effort I must say.....Rowey Was in the 1982 team and I wathced that win as a junior at the great age off 14 .....lol ahhh memories

Woza when we crack it for that elusive Mens Team Win I will certainly shout you a...Hmmmm got to think about this Bourbon was it,I can also guarrentee after 17 with no win the celebration will be BIG..VERY BIG

Cheerz
Kevin

this is what cheeses me off

the key thing for the leaders of our sport, be association, centre, state, national or international, is to foster and promote the sport.

yet, we find on so many occasions the people running these things are doing nothing but fostering and promoting themselves.

the only diff now is, that we never really noticed until they put themselves up for self fostering and promotion.

there should be 1 stipulation for country cup eligiblity

you reside in the town

if you want people to bowl, make it as easy as possible for them to bowl, promote the concept and foster the needs of the tournament, that being to make it the most competitive event it can be.

who cares if you dont bowl league, or championships, sell raffle tickets, wash cars, this is purely about bowling ability.

Gatsby, your stats are tad off.

2000 - Sunraysia, Geelong had three Allstars, Peter Flynn, Warren Hinchliffe and myself.

Dean King bowled in 2002 in Shepparton for us but did not make All Stars to my knowledge.

Cheers

Gatsby said:
2003 -- Colac -- Righties ave 169.68 -- Lefties 181.25
Who said Colac was a lefties ditch! (everyone)
We didnt need stats to prove that;)

36 hours old and 31 posts at this rate we will might even break 100 pages before the start of CCup

Carmers said:
2000 - Sunraysia, Geelong had three Allstars, Peter Flynn, Warren Hinchliffe and myself.
Dean King bowled in 2002 in Shepparton for us but did not make All Stars to my knowledge.
Cheers

Dean King bowled for Latrobe Valley in 2000 at Sunraysia so if he made the allstars (I cant remember if he did or not after celebrating another milestone that I wont mention on someones request and their physical wellbeing;) it was for Latrobe Valley not Geelong

Carmers said:
Cheers
Stats are correct - it is my memory that is off lol. That is the last time i quote something from my aging memory :(
You are correct in that it was Peter Flynn and not Dean King in the 2000 allstars. You are also correct that Dean bowled with Geelong in 2002 and did not make allstars. He did, however also bowl with Geelong in 2001 where he had high average for the allstars with a 199.0. Good to see you are all awake.

Woody said:
one word POLITICS and enough is enough:confused:
Very sad to hear that Woody. The Ballarat team was very strong this year and whilst i am sure the team that is bowling in 2006 will do their very best, it is disappointing when the best bowlers are not in the team.

Assassin_300 said:
I can also guarrentee after 17 with no win the celebration will be BIG..VERY BIG
Cheerz
Kevin
Looking forward to the celebration Kev, i reckon you now have a team that is definitely capable of winning :)

If anybody cares Sale has not even started qualys yet, as for a roll off date who knows. I dont think dizzy and myself will be trying out.Dont take this as trouble down here because its not(that i know of anyway).The onlything i'll say is that since i have left working in the centre my average has gone up 15 pins and i'm enjoying bowing the seniors tournies,my puppies and looking forward to senior shield in Ballarat.Hope to see some of you in November:D :D
I think Craig is right in some ways that the country association needs to promote more,because what i'm seeing is that only 50% of the die hard country cup bowlers seem to be trying out for thier respective teams and this is not good for bowling in general. If the centres and association were doing the right thing there would be at leased 20 men and 15 ladies trying out for each team and then you would have only the best from each centre bowling. Not lets make up a team and hope for the best. Sorry to be a little hard on some but for bowling to get bigger things need to happen not stand still!!!!
Lets not loose the top bowlers to other events,make them want to bowl Country Cup.

Gatsby said:
Very sad to hear that Woody. The Ballarat team was very strong this year and whilst i am sure the team that is bowling in 2006 will do their very best, it is disappointing when the best bowlers are not in the team.

Soapbox time (bummer) I shall try to be diplomatic.
I don't know what it's like for other associations but here in Ballarat the Country Cup process is quite an investment in time, effort and money. When bowlers jump through all the hoops so they can qualify to qualify for country cup, then make the team the hard work should end there but often this is not the case.
With no set direction from the association regarding the obligations of bowlers within the team (regarding training, fund-raising etc) the work seems to be left to the few and it is a constant battle against others who appear to pushing their own agenda.
Being manager of the 2005 team was one of the most enjoyable experiences in my time in bowling once we got to Geelong, but it was hard work getting there and until we sort out some of these issues I don't believe that Ballarat will ever field it's strongest team again.
That being said the 2006 team is still a good one and will be very competitive. This year we already have the shirts sorted out and accommodation booked so half the battle is over.
I love bowling team events and Country Cup is one the best going around so IMHO it's all worth it in the end.

Graeme

PS Gatsby, I didn't mean to be a smarta**e but in the end I couldn't resist.
I was serious about the impressive comment though, you truly are bowling's Eddie Maguire (maybe in blue and white hoops though)

Country Cup is also quite a costly venture for us in Colac.
Whilst we don't have roll offs, our qualification criteria includes All Events in Colac Championships, Masters attempt, bowling a minimum of three of the five nominated tournaments held throughout the year, and bowling at least 50 league games for the year.
In addition, we have to pay for accomodation, travel (often a bus) and until the last year or so, we had to also pay for our shirts.
All up (excluding league which we would bowl anyway) the cost can range from $500 - $750 per year. We have a very loyal group of bowlers who practically live for Country Cup (in a bowling sense) and we are lucky that our best 7 men always go and usually our top 7 women also represent.
Most of our team also bowl Senior shield and a lot of the seniors tournaments as well (and this is why most of them are not in our Emerson team).
Our association has done a great job with fundraising over the past 2-3 years and this has helped reduce costs.

PS - Graeme - i did not take offence to your comments - i assumed you were being tongue in cheek re equipment etc.. hence the "lol" afterwards -- and i feel much more comfortable in the blue and white hoops

Country Cup is expensive (shirts, accomodation, travel, lineage, and etc) and we are lucky at Latrobe Valley where through fundraising which is run all year all of our Associations representative teams - Country Cup, Senior Shield and Junior Country Cup are heavily subidised therefore making it affordable to all bowlers. On top of that most of the regular bowlers pay extra funds on top of their league costs ($5-$10 a week approx) and this money is banked and used for these occasions. By the time an event comes round you have paid 70 -100% of your bill

I just hope that Kev is not a blue and white hoop fan since their last win was in 1963 - Now that would make it an extremely long time between drinks

Back
Top Bottom