Cliff-hanger Final Decides 2012 AMF Australian Masters

elsie

Cliff-hanger Final Decides 2012 AMF Australian Masters

Shouts of Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi almost lifted the roof at AMF Rooty Hill RSL bowling centre this afternoon as local hero Jason Belmonte stormed home to clinch the title of AMF AUSTRALIAN MASTERS title over American Sean Rash in what was billed as a battle of the titans.

An unusually low-scoring start to the best-of-three grand final match saw Belmo take the initial lead 174-172, but Rash bounced back with six strikes in the second game and equalled the scorecard with a 255-223 win.

In the decider, Rash again came out of the blocks with a six bagger but was unable to maintain the momentum, and in a sensationally close contest that came down to the final frames, Belmo struck out to a heart-stopping 256-243 victory.

“This is one of the biggest tournaments in the world - $25,000 pays more than many PBA titles and is testament to Cara (Honeychurch) and her (TBA) team, and AMF Australia,” Belmonte said at the trophy presentation. “I couldn’t have done this without Aussie support – I’ve bowled here plenty of times but never in such a great tournament as this, and it’s one of my proudest moments,” he added.

Earlier, an all-American final saw Chicago’s Diandra Asbaty take the Women’s title in two matches, 204-200, 221-192, from Californian Missy Parkin who leads the 2012 WTBA World Bowling Tour rankings.

The win was emotionally-charged for Asbaty, dedicating the victory to her grandmother Betty who passed away recently. “I was choking back my tears because this was the first time I couldn’t call her after the match. “She put a bowling ball in my hands for the first time and the reason why I bowl …. Grandma was my biggest fan and my inspiration,” she said at the presentation ceremony.

The thrilling final matches were live-streamed to a worldwide audience and full scores are posted on Tenpin Bowling Australia’s official website … www.tenpinevents.org.au/2012_Adult_Nationals/Masters

ends

Attachments

• 2012 AMF Australian Masters champions Jason Belmonte & Diandra Asbaty Pic Jacqueline Heldoorn.jpg
    2012 AMF Australian Masters champions Jason Belmonte & Diandra Asbaty Pic Jacqueline Heldoorn.jpg
    592.8 KB · Views: 25
Back
Top Bottom