AMF Australian Masters overview

I believe maybe in regards to the format that we should do what asia does and have a local pool, overseas pool and then mixed pool?
At least then we will have some aussies in the mix, if the event does get a lot of international bowlers.

Assuming all bowlers had a go at masters then 70 entries were from rachuig. I'd say if that was the case then 80 odd bowlers flew in for it...

Take out at least another 1/3 possibly more of the bowlers who live in Sydney & the numbers under 50

Ask the Internationals to put a team in Rachuig as well...Maybe might get all the big guns back playing for there state also...

Michelle where are you LOL

Gagged perhaps? lol

It isn't such a bad idea, except that there is no money in Rachuig and they all received appearance fees to bowl the challenge, therefore hardly likely to bowl a teams event for 3 days with no opportunity of reward.

I think regardless of whether internationals were involved in Rachuig or not, unless there is a decent amount of money involved in prize fund, you aren't going to get the best of the best there competing, sad state of affairs, but it is reality and is not meant to be a slight on anyone who does regularly compete. :surrender:

@ Rob, I think regardless of wherever the Nationals are held, you will always have a stronger contingent of local players, if one third or so of the 90 additional bowlers were from within the state, and the remaining 2/3s were from interstate, this is probably a fair representation, and would probably occur regardless of whether held in another state or not.

@ Bec, I think in a few years when the tournament is close to reaching its potential and there is likely to be a big influx of international players then this is always a good option to help protect Australian players a little more and assist them to make the finals. There were limited international players this year, which was fine to a degree, but I would be expecting more next year.

And as per my comment re AMF sponsorship agreement, this tournament has been copping some flak on the PBA forum for both its format and prize money, as realistically outside of the top 8, the prize money is very low to warrant an international player coming out to play, which is probably a good thing ATM lol. If this was ever to run as a stand alone event, and AMF were to keep their sponsorship money intact and the entry and re entry money plus tournament entry fee were added to the prize pool, this would make it the countries best ever paying tournament and probably one of the higher paying events around the world.

If 150 qualifiers had on average say 4 attempts at $50 a go = $200 minus bowling fees, say $72 @ $6 a game, that is $128 x 150 extra into the prize pool or $19200 just for the guys, then add in entry fees for the top 40 minus however many games played during whatever format is used, and this is potentially another 5k or so in additional prizemoney and would help bump up mid range prize money.

I think regardless of whether internationals were involved in Rachuig or not, unless there is a decent amount of money involved in prize fund, you aren't going to get the best of the best there competing, sad state of affairs, but it is reality and is not meant to be a slight on anyone who does regularly compete.

[/QUOTE

Thank you Michael, some of us have been saying this for years but all we seem to do is create more barriers which in turn create added expense.

For example we now have the additional requirement of attendance at a State Training Squad for State Team Bowlers. Close to another $200 to add to the cost.

If the AMF sponsorship remains in place for next year might it not be a reasonable idea to transfer some of the Masters qualifying money to a Rachuig prize fund?

G'day All
The staff at Rooty Hill RSL were a pack of pigs 40 years ago and i was a member there. Good to nothing's changed. Food was also crap then too.
Cheers
Mick

G'day All
The staff at Rooty Hill RSL were a pack of pigs 40 years ago and i was a member there. Good to nothing's changed. Food was also crap then too.
Cheers
Mick
Hey Mick, dont be shy, tell us wat you really think :rofl:

johnnyb

... but I would be expecting more next year. ...

Would the above statement rely on the Masters remaining a WBT event?
When do they readjust the events that make up the WBT? Yearly?

Would be interested in the WTBA opinions on the success of the event.

I wouldn't read too much into the PBA forum, most seem to be a bunch of flamebait kiddies.

Fitzy

Pretty sure it was already announced that the AMF Aus Masters was going to be a WBT event again next year.

Australian Masters was included on 2012 WTBA and WBT list, AMF acknowledged support again - centre not confirmed.

Format for all events including seniors, open and restricted can be adjusted for the best operation of ALL the events, and the TBA tournament team has the actuals for this. If the centre is smaller than Rooty Hill there will be a lot to think about with Rachuig event taking up 20 lanes.

The number of spectators for team events in seniors and restricted was more than the rachuig. The international bowlers brought many spectators to watch, as did the australian masters.

It was great to see the increase of numbers, interest and world acknowledgement. Expanding our international exposure, with teams and events, gives us better position with Aust Sports Com and funding.

Leanne

Would the above statement rely on the Masters remaining a WBT event?
When do they readjust the events that make up the WBT? Yearly?

Would be interested in the WTBA opinions on the success of the event.

I wouldn't read too much into the PBA forum, most seem to be a bunch of flamebait kiddies.

I think the Masters will remain a part of the WBT as long as the WBT exists. They have extended it to 14 events next year, the Masters still included. You can see the release on the Bowling Digital website

As for the PBA forum, you are right, it is usualy spent filled with wannabe knobs who wouldn't know what rational was, let alone be able to spell it.

Re the last poster, wasn't at the dinner so no idea on that one, can only assume it will be back at Rooty Hill for at least another year, I think that was probably the plan all along.

Re the last poster, wasn't at the dinner so no idea on that one, can only assume it will be back at Rooty Hill for at least another year, I think that was probably the plan all along.[/QUOTE]

I sorely hope not - this is really starting to show the lack of thinking amongst TBA etc, surely a country the size of Australia would have at least one more option than to repeat and just go with what sort of worked before. Enough people are now appearing to complain so why in gods name are we all just going with it? It is an expensive trip for most of us - not everyone can drive up from NSW and a lot of us are starting to sit there and think how can we better spend the almost $2K it costs to go there and bowl for a week. I know I am. I am seriously considering what other tournaments I can travel to. Whereas before I was all for Rachuig and the Nationals. So what if the officials get a hotel room. There are so many other locations in our country and not just the same one over and over. Surely AMF can allocate the tournament to another one of its monopoly it has ?

Sheree,

While I agree with you. Unfortunately the days of the Nationals being in Adelaide or Perth are long gone. As long as AMF are putting $100,000 into the Australian Masters I believe they have choice on where the Nationals will be held. And with nearly 1/2 the population of Australia living within 1,000kms of Sydney it makes sense for them to hold them there.

Maybe its about time TBA started sibsidising some States that havent seen the Nationals in over a decade & probably wont see them in the next decade. Seems to be the same States forking out sh!tloads of money to field teams in Seniors, Rachuig, Restricted etc while the other teams get to stay at home with minimal costs.

Sheree,

While I agree with you. Unfortunately the days of the Nationals being in Adelaide or Perth are long gone. As long as AMF are putting $100,000 into the Australian Masters I believe they have choice on where the Nationals will be held. And with nearly 1/2 the population of Australia living within 1,000kms of Sydney it makes sense for them to hold them there.

Maybe its about time TBA started sibsidising some States that havent seen the Nationals in over a decade & probably wont see them in the next decade. Seems to be the same States forking out sh!tloads of money to field teams in Seniors, Rachuig, Restricted etc while the other teams get to stay at home with minimal costs.

As long as AMF are putting up the sponsorship, then we still have a half decent tournament to play in that can represent us on the international stage. And Robbie is right, I would bank on the majority of bowlers being from within NSW that attend.

I think that subsidizing bowlers from other states, that compete in Rachuig and other team events etc, has some merit to a degree especially if the event is likely to continue to be held in the one location for a while. How and when is another matter and deciding what is fair or not etc etc.

Is it really necessary to encourage overseas competition to enter Australian Masters???. Our Bowlers deserve to have the opportunity of competing for the Big Money,don"t think they can beat PBA members or even overseas Women as has been proved these past two years. Dockers

Answer to that Dockers is We have to be better! I really enjoyed competing against the Internationals and I know I need to be better. The 3 Aussies that made the QF only just missed getting through to the SF, just a couple of frames got away. The Internationals have to be here! We have to be better! An Aussie will win the Masters within the next 2 years....

My argument was not to bring the Nationals to Perth or closer to Perth - I am well aware of reasons why it wont happen here anytime soon, although it would be nice. My argument is simply to just move it around. I am well aware of politics involved to keep it on the east coast. I just dont think it warrants giving it a permanent home because 1 year went well. Look at what happens now for Youth. They expect to go to Werribee every year because it was done well and I hear continue to do it well. No bowler gets their arms twisted behind their back to go - we go of our own free will, but it would be nice to spend our dollars slightly differently each year by spending them in a slightly different economy and getting a different experience each time.

In relation to Dockers' comment re encouraging overseas competition, I would never discourage it. So what if our bowlers cant win? It forces them to lift their game to match the visitor's game. It gives them a chance to prepare for FIQ competition standards on their own soil. If you discourage overseas players you knock out all sorts of things. How many people said they were going to nationals just to see the overseas people in action - a lot, that pumps a lot of money into the local economy and nationals entries. I would have gone myself but I already have a holiday booked for Melbourne for November and finances dictate I cant afford two east coast trips within a month of each other.

We are allowed to travel to different countries and compete in there tournaments so why should we stop them coming to ours?
Getting the international bowlers over here to bowl in our tournament is only going to make bowling better in Australia. If kids see the pros bowling, they may want to start taking it up themselves.

Is it really necessary to encourage overseas competition to enter Australian Masters???. Our Bowlers deserve to have the opportunity of competing for the Big Money,don"t think they can beat PBA members or even overseas Women as has been proved these past two years. Dockers

I'd say yes it is... Our bowlers have the opportunity to compete for big money in tournaments other than the Australian masters. The difference is it would cost us more to get there to do it. As I write this I'm sure there are a few Aussies boarding flights to back themselves in the P.B.A World series of bowling.

During the masters final I had the opportunity to have a chat with Mike Quitter who was responsible for getting team ebonite out here for the Masters tournament. He said that there are quite a few talented bowlers here in Australia and we along with bowlers from all around the world who are bridging the gap between themselves and the pro's on tour. I don't think it will be long before an Aussie wins the masters. As for beating the Pro's... There were some of the P.B.A bowlers who didn't make the top 8 where there were 3 Aussies in there so we have shown that we can do it. Not to mention the pro's who missed out were no slouches either with the likes of Tommy Jones, Osku Palermaa and Robert Smith missing out...

Back
Top Bottom