AMF Australian Masters overview

elsie

Sydney, Saturday 22 October 2011: The cream of Australian bowlers pitted their skills against some of the world’s top tenpin talent at this year’s AMF Australian Masters, a highlight of the sport’s 50th Adult National Championships.

It was standing room only at AMF Rooty Hill bowling centre this morning as the top 16 men and women who had advanced from Round 2 and 3 confidently strode onto the approaches. A prize purse of $100,000 beckoned.

Just three Aussie males – Jason Walsh, Christian Purdue and Jason Belmonte – advanced to Round 4 while six ladies – Lexi Nicoll, Sharon Rigney, Emma Walsh, Rebecca Whiting, Jacinta Gilliland and Bec Voukolos – flew the flag for Australia after the 6-game Stage 3. Defending champion, Sam Cooley from Wollongong NSW missed the cut to advance to the quarters by just 12 pins.

US pro-bowler Mike Fagan shot a stunning 299 in Game 4 of Round 3 on his way to top seeding with an average of 235.67 and Lexi Nicoll from Gosford on the NSW Central Coast top-scored in the female division with a 218.17 average.

In the best-of-three game Round 4 matches, top seed Nicoll lined up against #8 qualifier, Darwin’s Bec Voukolos, and stormed into the semi finals with a convincing win. Queensland’s Jacinta Gilliland, who will represent Australia at the Qubica/AMF Bowling World Cup in Johannesburg next month, overcame Central Coast’s Sharon Rigney, and US star Shannon Pluhowsky put paid to Melbourne’s Rebecca Whiting’s aspirations for the title. 20 year old Sandra Andersson of Sweden advanced to the women’s semi’s with a comfortable win against Emma Walsh from Grafton.

At the other end of the house, the capacity crowd was treated to a thrilling spectacle as Belmo won the second game against top seed Mike Fagan by a single pin, but was then eliminated in the deciding third game with a split in the final frame, allowing Fagan to advance to the Round 5 semi final. Grafton’s Jason Walsh and Christian Purdue from Gosford were also defeated in Round 4 despite Walsh coming within 3 pins of ousting Hong Kong’s Siu Hong Wu.

Professional internationals from the USA dominated the men’s semi finals and Sandra Andersson and Shannon Pluhowsky eliminated remaining local bowlers Lexi Nicoll and Jacinta Gilliland to set up a US vs Sweden ladies final.

With an impressive four gold medals to her credit from the recent World Women’s Championships, Pluhowsky made sure her first visit to Australia was equally memorable, taking the women’s title and $15,000 top prizemoney with 236 and 210 wins against the Swede’s 181 score in both games.

“When Sandra opened in the sixth and eighth frames, I said to myself ‘keep it close, stay clean’ … the TV pair was tighter and less hook and this also let me feel a little more comfortable”, said Pluhowski.

After a short visit back to her home town in Dayton, Ohio Shannon will fly back to Asia to defend the title she won on the LBO tour in Japan last year, and is already planning to return to Australia for another tilt at the AMF Australian Masters in 2012.

Both matches of the men’s semi final went to three games, with US pros Fagan and Rash battling neck to neck in the third game, and Rash defeated by a mere two pins 268-266. Wu came back strongly from a loss in the first game to advance to the finals with a 290-247 win against PBA Bowler of the Year, Mika Koivuniemi.

The men’s final was a thrilling finale to this year’s Masters. A seven-bagger in the second game sealed Mike Fagan’s fate as Wu stormed to a 226-207 and 259 to 243 win and $25,000 in prizemoney.

“He won Gold in the All Events and Silver in Singles at the ABF Championships in Abu Dhabi in January, but this is his best performance in international tournaments this year after finishing in the top three in Macau, Malaysia, Thailand etc.,” said Coach Purvis Grainger. “The win is a great way to celebrate his 26th birthday today,” he added, smiling.

The AMF Australian Masters is the eighth and final leg of the 2011 WTBA World Bowling Tour. Players earn points based on how they finish in each event, with the top three men and women invited to compete in the WBT Finals presented by the Professional Bowlers Association next month.

ends

lc

The following was taken from Big Pond Sports;

Hong Kong bowler Siu Hong Wu celebrated his 26th birthday with an impressive victory in the men's final of the $100,000 Australian Masters Tenpin Bowling Championships at Rooty Hill on Saturday.

It was a change of luck for Wu, who had finished in the top three of qualifying in other tournaments around the world, but failed to fire in the finals.

'It's my first international title this year, although I won gold and silver at the Asian Championships earlier this year,' he said.

Wu won the first game of the best-of-three final 243-207 against American Mike Fagan, but the American threw down a challenge in the second game with four strikes.

However Wu matched Fagan and maintained his accuracy with seven successive strikes to take the second game and the title 259-225.

Rooty Hill was the final stop in a worldwide eight-city tournament, staged by the World Tenpin Bowling Association.

The US gained some prestige when 29-year-old Ohio leftie Shannon Pluhowsky outshot Sweden's Sandra Andersson 235-181, 210-181 in the women's final.

'This is my first attempt in the world tournament and my first visit to Australia,' said Pluhowsky.

'I've been bowling since I was five and my previous best effort was winning four gold medals at the women's World Championships in Hong Kong last month.

'I'm planning to come back to defend the title next year, and in fact my parents are already making preparations to come.'

The best Australians were Lexi Nicholl (NSW), who finished third in the women's tournament, and Jason Walsh (NSW), who was sixth in the men's division.

It was great to see bowling being mentioned amongs the more "main stream" sports.

Also a huge congratulations to my good mate Christian Purdue who along with Jason Walsh, and Lexi Nicholl displayed some amazing bowling against some of the best players in the world.

Thanks so much Michelle ... I've just adjusted the Release and I'll also let Ian Nicholls know too so that the correct details are placed on the TBA website ...
Sorry Jason and Emma, and congratulations to all the Aussies who certainly did us proud!!

cheers,
lynne

Delighted to advise that the story being run on Big Pond Sports was filed by veteran AAP journalist, and former TBA Board member, Ted Simmons. After a sterling job as MC for Monday night's Hall of Fame induction, Ted returned to Rooty Hill this afternoon to see the Masters finals and filed results, and this report, direct to AAP.

I'd like to take this opportunity to publicly thank Ted for the invaluable support he's given to the sport of tenpin over many, many years.

cheers,
lynne

to melbournes rebecca whiting great job to get as far as you did.Would be great to have the masters here in melbourne

to melbournes rebecca whiting great job to get as far as you did.Would be great to have the masters here in melbourne

I think they will probably make the decision shortly as to where the Nationals will be in future years. The set up on principle is good with Rooty Hill, shame the accomodation at the Novotel was expensive and not discounted somehow and the service, staff and food average on occasions at the RSL.

I think this will be the key to future Nationals bids, having similar set ups in other states, a bowl with 30 odd lanes, next to accomodation and decent food.

I agree with Michael's statement, I went to the 2010 Nationals and found food etc at Novotel average. I don't see the point of holding Nationals at the same location for sequential years. To me, travelling to different locations is one of the big draws to the Nationals and one of the primary reasons for not going this year was it was going to be a replica and nothing new and exciting.

Delighted to advise that the story being run on Big Pond Sports was filed by veteran AAP journalist, and former TBA Board member, Ted Simmons. After a sterling job as MC for Monday night's Hall of Fame induction, Ted returned to Rooty Hill this afternoon to see the Masters finals and filed results, and this report, direct to AAP.

I'd like to take this opportunity to publicly thank Ted for the invaluable support he's given to the sport of tenpin over many, many years.

cheers,
lynne

Cheers indeed, Lynne. I feel sure, through modesty, you failed to mention the part I know you must have played in this " Outside the Sport" publicity.

Without you, over many years ( going well back into ATBC days), we would have had little or no coverage in the general or sporting media. I doubt if many people are aware of this.
Thanks,
Jim

Asphyxiation, did I spell that right? Anyhow that's what you'll perish from, holding your breath for a change of venue, unless Rooty Hill decides that it does'nt want the Nats.

In polite company,it's called commercial reality. Remind me,what was the total Masters prizemoney?

First sponsor to add, say, $50,000 to that can choose the venue.

Well surely AMF have other locations around the country with the necessary lanes where the Nationals could be held? It was an AMF prizefund, not a Rooty Hill prizefund.

I watched the live feed on the net and i would like to say that the two comentating, one being Sue Cassell and the other a gentleman i don't know did an absolutley great job Please book them for future events, truly a great job by both of you / well chosen TBA

Be nice if they took some of the prizefund and invested it in decent air conditioning.

I agree with Michael's statement, I went to the 2010 Nationals and found food etc at Novotel average. I don't see the point of holding Nationals at the same location for sequential years. To me, travelling to different locations is one of the big draws to the Nationals and one of the primary reasons for not going this year was it was going to be a replica and nothing new and exciting.
I remember walking into that Novotel/RSL last year with another bowler to get a meal wearing jeans and bowling shirt and was refused entry no less on one particular afternoon by some clipboard Nazi on the front door despite having a guest's sign in pass!
I actually found them to be quite rude at times which I was quite surprised with given the amount of bowlers that were utilising their facilities and pumping money into their coffers and it certainly influenced my decision not to jump on a plane and come up this year just to watch the Rachuig and the Masters. I'm glad I wasn't the only person to notice that.
The food was ok and the bowling centre staff were great though.

I would like to make a slight correction as to where Sharon Rigney is from and that is Newcastle. After 16 years out of action she was a member of the NSW Rachuig Ladies team and did herself proud. Her maiden name was Sharon McLeish, (rings a bell to anyone?) She bowled FIQ with Cara Honeychurch. Well done Shaz.

I remember walking into that Novotel/RSL last year with another bowler to get a meal wearing jeans and bowling shirt and was refused entry no less on one particular afternoon by some clipboard Nazi on the front door despite having a guest's sign in pass!
I actually found them to be quite rude at times which I was quite surprised with given the amount of bowlers that were utilising their facilities and pumping money into their coffers and it certainly influenced my decision not to jump on a plane and come up this year just to watch the Rachuig and the Masters. I'm glad I wasn't the only person to notice that.
The food was ok and the bowling centre staff were great though.

Totally agree with the rudeness from the staff at the RSL...

I understand that AMF puts the money in, therefore they have the right to say where the event is to be held. But honestly, isn't there another AMF centre that we can go to - the nationals always used to be at a different centre/state every year, its fair, now the sydney-siders never have to travel and every other state has to cough up the money to travel every year. It's just not fair.

Now to the RSL/Novotel... well the staff at the RSL seriously need to get their heads outta their ..... For those who didn't hear about an incident that happened during the week, one of the staff members, a lady who just sits behind the counter making sure people sign in decided she had the right to call a wife of one of the bowlers an irresponsible mother because she had her child out late one night. Who do they think they are!!! Yes, unfortunately sometimes when we are travelling to watch our husbands bowl our kids have to stay out late sometimes, doesn't mean they aren't asleep in their pram, just means they aren't asleep in their beds. It doesn't happen every night and it definitely doesn't make you a bad mother!!! They aren't professional and have no right to make personal comment on other people, not knowing our situations.

Not only that, but they commented on items of clothing people wore and in general were rude to people everytime they walked in. A few times people were told they weren't allowed to come in as they were wearing "thongs.." well thongs are flip flops not what the girls were wearing trying to get in...

And to top it off, the food wasn't all that great and a lot of people I heard were getting upset tummies after eating there!

My main biff, is that we have to go to Rooty Hill every year - but yet we have to put up with being badly treated and judged because we have kids and want to support our husbands from the club.

While i'm on my rant... Why does the TBA feel the need to suck up to the Internationals and treat them better then their own countries bowlers, players who are there EVERY year and not just when their is money involved!!! An example, if Jason walked into the tournament room and blew up about not bowling well and the squads were full and he couldn't make the masters - would anything be changed? I think not... BUT, Mika walks into the tournament room blowing up because he didn't bowl well enough to make the Masters and he couldn't get into another squad that day, threatening to leave and questioning why no-one booked his squads for him as he didn't know the format and what happens... Ohh, they put on extra squads for him. Because he flew in late.... this is our problem, why??? Who goes to tournaments and don't read what the format is. I'm sure Tiger Woods looks at the golf course of a tournament he is in especially when its a different country....

Then, Rash (it hurts me to even say his name) is completely disrespectful to the female bowlers whilst they are trying to make the cut for the masters by walking through their lanes constantly - a complaint is made and what happens???? Nothing... Then again, when Jason Walsh and Wui Su Hong were bowling there final game to see who would make it to the top 4, what does that disrespectful player do again - continually walked through their lanes moving his bowling balls to his next pair. Because he had finished. He had no respect for both those players and what is said.. Once again, nothing. No other bowler did that - nor would they.

Then, 300 games are announced and plaques given ....hang on a minute - the international bowlers 300 games were announced but where were the Australian bowlers???????? Their names weren't announced??? Oh, thats because they are told that if they want a plaque for bowling it they have to pay a fee...!!!!! Go figure..

If, as is likely, the same venue is used for a number of years, and no matter the reasons, good or bad, or whichever opinions on the matter you favour,you can't get away from the truth of this following quote from Michelle.
" now the sydney-siders never have to travel and every other state has to cough up the money to travel every year. It's just not fair."

If, as is likely, the same venue is used for a number of years, and no matter the reasons, good or bad, or whichever opinions on the matter you favour,you can't get away from the truth of this following quote from Michelle.
" now the sydney-siders never have to travel and every other state has to cough up the money to travel every year. It's just not fair."

Unfortunately, Jim, you are right from a previous post, commercial reasons dictate the location and venue, however, I think it was worked out last year, that even with the injection of prizemoney from AMF, they certainly aren't losing money from this 3 week tournament.

The idea on principle is great, a decent size bowl, walking proximity to a decent hotel, supposedly decent club with supposed food options (just don't eat the seafood! lol). Where it falls down are the small things and most of these are outside of the TBA and AMFs control, because on a whole, both the TBA and AMF put a massive effort into running this event. Where it has fallen down is the sour impressions left from RSL Club, the rudeness of its staff, and the expensive aspect of the Novotel.

These ideas are nothing new, that I am about to write, but surely we can organise this event in a similar location based in another state if need be, or if destined to be at Rooty Hill for some time to come, perhaps the TBA can explore avenues to make accomodation and travel cheaper from those out of state. At $165 a night for the Novotel, and about 6-7 nights of accomodation on average, that is $1000 just in living requirements, add $100 a day for food for the average couple/family, no cooking facilities in rooms, there is another 6-700 minimum, add travel costs to and from airports if there, or petrol from driving, then add up entry fee costs etc etc, probably around 300 thereabout minimum, plus another 200 for making Masters, you are looking at probably $2500 for just one week, and this is for basic expenses.

Now look at the most expensive cost, accomodation, the TBA should be trying its hardest where possible to bring a deal towards any suitable hotel for bulk discount rates for the entire 3 weeks, surely 3 weeks at full occupancy is worth something? Trying to create subsidised meal plans/deal with the local club for food, ie setting up temp memberships to get local club discounts valid only for the 3 week period, this keeps the hotel and the club full, busy and a solid 3 weeks of revenue. A similar discount could also actually be provided to all bowlers upon checking in for their first event, an AMF hospitality pack so to speak valid again, only for the 3 week period.

Myself personally, having the Nationals in the same state means I can travel to and from as I please, this has helped with my current circumstances. I bowled the Sunday and Monday, came back for the Friday and Saturday only requiring two nights accomodation.

Next thing is a possible suggestion on the timing of squads and where Rachuig sits during the weeks calendar. IMO, Rachuig should be brought forward earlier in the week, possibly even starting as early as the Saturday or Sunday at latest. My reasoning behind this is that Rachuig is on currently Tues, Wed and Thurs, with the Masters commencing Friday. Due to the lanes required for Rachuig, this leaves very little time and squad availability on the Tues, Wed, Thurs to qualify for Masters, hence requiring the need to attend the previous weekend or Monday. My suggestion would be to have Rachuig earlier as pretty much all Rachuig bowlers are there by Sunday at least to bowl there squads beforehand. With Rachuig finishing by either Monday or Tuesday, this would open up at least 2-3 full days of qualifying and other event squads each day, prevent the need for extra squads being put on Wed and Thurs night and probably make the tournament room staff lives a little easier. The Masters is pretty much the premier event for the Nationals, over Rachuig now, so priority should really be given to it.

Back
Top Bottom