AMF Australian Masters overview

Michael, the Rachuig bowlers are already committing to a full week at least with the current timing as it is - to extend that by another 2 or 3 days just for the convenience of those who choose to focus on the Masters is simply unfair. Moving Rachuig to AFTER the Masters could work though, IMO, and could substantially reduce costs for those who don't want to bowl the Masters.

Doubt AMF would want to do that, only because moving Rachuig to after the Masters, will possibly reduce the numbers or competitors in the Masters.

IMO, Rachuig has to move to after the Masters as it is stopping the Masters from growing any bigger. If you look at the format there is no room for more bowlers. I don't believe moving rachuig will reduce the numbers of competitors in the Masters, if anything it would increase, and increase the number of international bowlers coming too as they won't have to be here for so long to qualify. If you don't have rachuig going for 3 of the days of qualifying, then you don't have to have as many qualifying days as there will be more lanes...... its time for bowling in australia to start looking outside the circle its been operating in..

The money that AMF is putting into the masters is a massive opportunity for bowling in Australia, so they need to come up with a format so its potential can be reached.

I would like to make a slight correction as to where Sharon Rigney is from and that is Newcastle. After 16 years out of action she was a member of the NSW Rachuig Ladies team and did herself proud. Her maiden name was Sharon McLeish, (rings a bell to anyone?) She bowled FIQ with Cara Honeychurch. Well done Shaz.

Sharon Rigney is a legend and a super nice person to go with it

Michael, the Rachuig bowlers are already committing to a full week at least with the current timing as it is - to extend that by another 2 or 3 days just for the convenience of those who choose to focus on the Masters is simply unfair. Moving Rachuig to AFTER the Masters could work though, IMO, and could substantially reduce costs for those who don't want to bowl the Masters.

Robbie, I am merely suggesting moving Rachuig to a few days earlier, no real difference in time frame from when Rachuig bowlers get there IMO, most of you guys tend to arrive Saturday or Sunday, so if Rachuig was to start Sunday and finish Tuesday, then that allows a full 2 n a half days of qualifying plus the limited squads available during Rachuig, however players can arrive later in the week and not have to arrive early, wait, then go again if they need to qualify. This is merely my suggestion if all of this is required to stay within a weekly timeframe. If time is not a problem, then I believe as do others, that the Masters is now the premier event at Nationals and should receive dedicated qualifying and perhaps this means Rachuig follows it.

IMO having to wait until full squads were available in the evening made a big difference especially to lane conditions, the lanes were massive on the backend from the start and 3 wash n oils during the day only increased this. Not good.

I agree that having a venue with close access to accommodation is a great thing.. However, if that accommodation is quite pricey, and you can source quite a good price per day for a 13 seater bus... Financially speaking, the cost to stay a bit further away and travel in becomes more of an option. Especially if it's done in a group. Heck, even hiring a 5 seater is quite cheap these days.

These days you can fly in and have a car waiting for you to drive off in, all at a fairly low cost.

Having accommodation/transport etc all close to the centre is great, but if the service/pricing isn't there, then the whole point is sort of moot, and the 'attraction' of other places should hopefully come front and centre.

The SA Team stayed at a caravan park in Parklea. This was my first Rachuig and I was a bit sceptical, but it was a really good location. Our team coach got his licence to drive a 23-seater bus, and we just got the bus to the bowl everyday, which took about 15 minutes. We stayed in cabins, which had 3 double bedrooms, so the mens team all stayed together, which was really good for morale (and gave some of us newbies a chance to get to know the others). There is also a 20 person spa and a pool, which we made good use of after a tough slog at Rachuig.

And for meals, because we had the bus, we went to different shopping centres and got lunch, and used the big BBQ area at the caravan park for dinners. We went out for a few dinners too.

This is a difficult one. There is no other venue in Australia that has the bowl and the hotel / restaurant / dinner function and conference venues all in a short walk of each other. Saves a lot of teams and groups a lot of mucking about with buses, etc. I agree it should move around, but this proximity to facilities makes it a much more attractive venue for teams, people attending more than the event and international players.

So Club Med Rooty Hill holds the upper hand for now. Even with it's long queues for 2 star food at 3½ star prices. There is a really good kebab/pide/pizza shop in Rooty Hill Nth and a great (if a bit dingy) Chinese restaurant called Shanghai in Rooty Hill Sth for cheaper eats, btw. I went for a bit of a look when I went bowl-crazy and the local shops, while a bit the worse for wear, are worth a wander.

I remember talk of a new centre in Panthers 20 years ago. Is that one still doing the rounds or is it actually likely this time?

Dude you used to bowl in a place everyweek that does...how quickly you've blocked tuggers out of your mind. ;-p

To be fair I was referring to a different Nationals event, though the principle applies.
Sure while submitting preferences for squads, internationals should get preference over locals (unless of course their name starts with a George and ends with a Frilingos) as it is a long way to go with a lot of money on the line, though 'creating' new squads?? changing the format of the event?? changing the rules? because they are an international? No way George!

Again assuming what was posted above is correct ... I left for Brisbane long before this 'incident' occurred, the rudeness of a particular TBA official turned me off the Nationals long before this.

I don't have anything to gain by making false statements! I only was stating what I heard - what was said to me! Not what I heard through a gossip circle.... Whatever excuse TBA uses as to why they added extra squads is up to them... I'm not saying it was a bad thing to put the extra squads on, I agree it was needed due to the Internationals V Australia TV show being done and the lanes used up with rachuig. It must just be very coincidental that it only happened after Mika went in there :)

For your info, the PBA forum is going off about how silly the Masters qualifying format is - but I wouldn't take anything they say too seriously!!! LOL

I wasn't doubting you Michele, I was just saying that I did not hear it personally, so cannot personally say that it did in fact occur. After witnessing the conduct of a particular TBA official, I personally have NO DOUBT that what you did say occurred, did in fact occur.

I suppose I am just a little bitter at how a particular TBA official talked about me in front of a group of other TBA officials, bowlers, parents and the CEO of TBA (with NO basis of TRUTH in his words). I observed another TBA official notice that what was said was out of line and tried to stop the other from continuing on with his 'speech'.

I am not bitter in what occurred and accept all decisions that were made and in fact did not even question the decision. Purely disappointed with the disrespect of a TBA official when he assumed I was no longer present in the room.

After reading this thread maybe a review of the full Nationals format is required.

Getting back to the suggestion of moving Rachuig, there are only 2 ways i can think of scheduling it so as people who want to bowl both are still only taking a week off work. Michael mentioned these options before but here is what my interpretation would be.

Option 1

Sat - Squads
Sun - Squads
Mon - Squads
Tue - Squads & Masters Round 1 & 2
Wed - Masters
Thur - D1 Rachuig
Fri - D2 Rachuig
Sat - D3 Rachuig & Dinner

Option 2

Sat - Squads & Teams Arrive (maybe an official practice session in the afternoon for rachuig teams who cant bowl squads)
Sun - D1 Rachuig
Mon - D2 Rachuig
Tue - D3 Rachuig
Wed - Squads
Thur - Squads
Fri - Squads & Masters R 1 & 2
Sat - Masters & Dinner

Both options have positives and negatives. It really depends what you want the highlight of the tournament to be.

Discuss!

Option 1 sounds good rob it would be better to bowl masters before we bowl rachuing. We did it in youth why not in adults?

Option 1 sounds good rob it would be better to bowl masters before we bowl rachuing. We did it in youth why not in adults?

The 2nd option is actually the better one for the majority of people who are not involved in Rachuig. It does not require those only travelling to compete in championship events and Masters the need to be there the whole week, whereas the bowlers bowling Rachuig are there the whole week regardless as they generally bowl events prior to Rachuig, bowl Rachuig, then bowl Masters, now they are just doing it in a different order. There are 60 bowlers in each division of Rachuig of which not all will want to qualify for Masters, yet there were 150 men attempt qualifying and only 60 women.

Until the Masters becomes a stand alone event in its own right in some way, it will be the premier event of these Nationals now over Rachuig.

Why would they need to be there the whole week if they are just going for Masters? Rachuig bowlers have to bowl an allevents BEFORE Rachuig - option 2 adds two more days to the Rachuig bowlers, and both options mean the same stay for the others.

Why would they need to be there the whole week if they are just going for Masters? Rachuig bowlers have to bowl an allevents BEFORE Rachuig - option 2 adds two more days to the Rachuig bowlers, and both options mean the same stay for the others.

Purely because there is very limited lane availability once Rachuig is on, unless you can hang around each night to get on when the whole house opens up, I know I would personally prefer to bowl 2 full days and a half day of qualifying as opposed to running a chook raffle to get in first for limited squads during the day or waiting until the house opens up and only being able to bowl at night?

When did all the bowlers for Rachuig get there this year? Was it not Saturday or Sunday, or did everyone arrive there Monday only, not sure how option 2 adds 2 extra days to Rachuig bowlers unless it is the requirement to bowl all events prior?

Personally for me, I came down the Sunday and Monday to bowl prior because, I wasn't going to hang around during the week to try and get into limited squads or waste a day waiting until the full house opened up for only two maybe 3 squads at night.

And in regards to Rachuig bowlers having to bowl an all events prior to Rachuig, I wasn't aware of this, but I would presume this rule could be adjusted as long as entries were in for events somewhere during the week. Or maybe we just need to scrap the whole idea of having to do an all events period to be eligible for other events like Rachuig and Masters and bowlers can bowl their events whenever they see fit?

If you weren't bowling Rachuig, would you prefer to travel down the weekend prior, be there the whole week to qualify for Masters, hang around for limited lane availability during the week if you need extra attempts, or would you prefer to travel down a few days prior to Masters, maybe bowl a night squad and then have a couple of days dedicated purely to qualifying, cut down your accomodation, food, and other costs. As I said it might increase Rachuig bowlers stay an extra day if that. For locals it doesnt really matter, and I count myself in that regard as I can come down and go as I please, but for those travelling from interstate purely for the Masters, remember in the guys, 60 bowlers for Rachuig only but 150 qualifiers for Masters.

For those Rachuig lovers, IMHO I believe the Masters is now the premier event. Just have a look at the coverage it brought. In the long run, I think that one particular week will just become to small to host two large events and they will probably be held seperately.

For those Rachuig lovers, IMHO I believe the Masters is now the premier event. Just have a look at the coverage it brought. In the long run, I think that one particular week will just become to small to host two large events and they will probably be held seperately.

There will probably be some automatic reactions against that, but after the "but, the championships have always.............." have died down a bit, that idea has REAL merit.

Purely because there is very limited lane availability once Rachuig is on, unless you can hang around each night to get on when the whole house opens up, I know I would personally prefer to bowl 2 full days and a half day of qualifying as opposed to running a chook raffle to get in first for limited squads during the day or waiting until the house opens up and only being able to bowl at night?

When did all the bowlers for Rachuig get there this year? Was it not Saturday or Sunday, or did everyone arrive there Monday only, not sure how option 2 adds 2 extra days to Rachuig bowlers unless it is the requirement to bowl all events prior?

Personally for me, I came down the Sunday and Monday to bowl prior because, I wasn't going to hang around during the week to try and get into limited squads or waste a day waiting until the full house opened up for only two maybe 3 squads at night.

And in regards to Rachuig bowlers having to bowl an all events prior to Rachuig, I wasn't aware of this, but I would presume this rule could be adjusted as long as entries were in for events somewhere during the week. Or maybe we just need to scrap the whole idea of having to do an all events period to be eligible for other events like Rachuig and Masters and bowlers can bowl their events whenever they see fit?

If you weren't bowling Rachuig, would you prefer to travel down the weekend prior, be there the whole week to qualify for Masters, hang around for limited lane availability during the week if you need extra attempts, or would you prefer to travel down a few days prior to Masters, maybe bowl a night squad and then have a couple of days dedicated purely to qualifying, cut down your accomodation, food, and other costs. As I said it might increase Rachuig bowlers stay an extra day if that. For locals it doesnt really matter, and I count myself in that regard as I can come down and go as I please, but for those travelling from interstate purely for the Masters, remember in the guys, 60 bowlers for Rachuig only but 150 qualifiers for Masters.

Not that I disagree with what you have said Mick, but if this becomes 2 separate events you may lose entries. Given that a vast majority of Rachuig bowlers would have bowled Masters purley for the comvenience of already being there. (That is assuming you mean not having it at the same time)

How many bowlers that attempted Masters Qualifying werent Rachuig or local bowlers. How many specifically flew in just for Masters.

How many bowlers that attempted Masters Qualifying werent Rachuig or local bowlers. How many specifically flew in just for Masters.

At least 90 guys, if not a few more, there are only 60 Rachuig bowlers each gender, so maybe 10-15 women outside of Rachuig attempted to qualify, as I doubt all women bowlers that competed in Rachuig would have attempted a masters qualification.

I understand the convenience and that the event may lose some entries if both events are not within a week of each other. But IMO, the Masters will soon outstrip Rachuig if it hasn't already and ultimately become a stand alone event. My other personal thoughts on this is that perhaps the stand alone event, doesn't always have to be the Australian Masters or have that title, perhaps that can return back within the Nationals fold of events and this current Masters tournament with a new name can be the massive stand alone event we all know it can be. My other reasoning on this is that the Australian Masters should be reserved for people competing in the Nationals with Australian citizenship and maybe, just maybe even be used as a qualifier for the World Cup as this would most likely ensure the representatives are at least in some semblance of form not too far away from the World Cup.

I don't know the ins and outs of what AMF agree too sponsorship wise, whether it must remain as part of the nationals etc etc. I still just think that this one particular week won't be big enough to hold both events, especially if the international guys keep coming and the event continues to gain true international status, and the schedule in the week before the masters is very convoluted to say the least.

Assuming all bowlers had a go at masters then 70 entries were from rachuig. I'd say if that was the case then 80 odd bowlers flew in for it...

Ask the Internationals to put a team in Rachuig as well...Maybe might get all the big guns back playing for there state also...

Michelle where are you LOL

Back
Top Bottom