Bowling Shoe Advice

John_Velo

Hi All,

Been a while since I have had the time to be on here.

Getting close to the end of my third year back in bowling. Since being back I have had two sets of Dexter SST8's and worn the toe, velcro side, of the two pairs causing the soles to lift. But oddly it is the slide foot I am wearing out.

So this got me thinking, another set of SST8's or something else?

What experience are other bowlers having with shoes like the 3G Tour Ultras or the Etonic Tour Master with three piece soles?

How are they lasting for you? Is 18 months about the mileage everybody is finding to be normal?

Are the soles easy to find?

I have one friend that swears by the 3G's and another that swears by the Etonic's.

Look forward to hearing you thoughts.

As you know John I've got etonics. The body of the shoes has served me very well with little wear anywhere but the slide sole (obviously)

The replacement soles aren't as easy to find as the dexters are but I can get them from Michael at ballistic revs.

Also they are easy to clean to increase their lifespan.

Linds are still the best shoe made for the bowling industry. Not unusual to have a pair last 10 years or longer.

Hi Guys,

Linds were great, I gave my original set away to a fellow bowler about six months ago, got them when I was about 18, stopped bowling at 20 and the bloody things bearly had a mark on them. Unlike me, I got bigger and they no longer fit. I did try to find some of the adjustable sole ones but they have been out of production a while from what I have seen on the WEB.

What has really surprised me is how abrassive the synthetic approaches are, they really tear up a pair of shoes. Is that normal?

G'Day

Having a read last night and found a thread on another forum that mention Etonic are discontinuing their bowling shoes. Has anybody else heard of that?

G'Day

Having a read last night and found a thread on another forum that mention Etonic are discontinuing their bowling shoes. Has anybody else heard of that?

Yeah, I read something about that a few months ago when they withdrew their PBA product registration.

The SST 8's are shocking! I am on my second pair of SST 8's and its only been three years. My first pair split on both shoes just where the velcro finishes. Now my second pair (on my non slide foot), the velcro is coming off and have worn at the toe.
I am going to try the Women's pair this time because I havent heard many problems with those ones.

John,
From what I gather etonic was bought out by lotto (soccer boots) then they canned manufacturing the bowling shoe as it wasn't a huge $$ maker.. There are still some proshops and online sales mobs that have what's left

In regards to sst8's, when I put a new sole on my slide foot, I don't cut it flush with the shoe, I oversize it a bit at the front so I don't ruin the Velcro part.. The new blue/black/grey ones are the bomb..

I've had Dexters, Linds, Etonics, and other shoes over the very long time I've been bowling. Wayne is right, Linds are still great shoes (and so deliciously retro!) I haven't used their new products, so can't comment. My last Linds were a pair of Brown and Tan PS's from around 1987. They are still fine to use, but a bit hard underfoot.

My personal choice these days are ABS shoes. ABS (American Bowling Supply) ironically come out of Japan and have also been sold in the US and here as Dynorooz and 3G. Just go the extra few dollars and get the top of the line pair. They are kangaroo leather, like Nike leather shoes, which is light and flexible. The feel underfoot is softer than Linds and firmer than Dexter. So a nice balance of comfort and control.

Aesthetically (for all you fashion slaves), they're a bit flashy. Mine are white, silver and black. Got a bit of an Asian "bling" feel to them, which makes sense. Personally, I think they're a bit of fun, but it's 'eye of the beholder" stuff. I like them enough that I'd wear a pair in pink and orange. (Once I'd tried them!)

The slide sole is enclosed by a stitched leather perimeter, so they cannot be detached unintentionally. This makes changing them a bit fiddly, but worth it for the security they provide. (Unlike the Etonics I had, which were fabulous until the velcro packed it in after a few months.) The pivot sole is fixed (and I can't say I've ever wanted to change that.) They come with various soles and heels, including a cleat template sole, that you can put various different plugs of material into. The heels have a keyed system of fitting, so changing them is a cinch.

The sole velcro is crazy strong, so much so that they include a "cleat pick" to be able to remove those little critters, as you can't do it with mere human fingers! I use an accessory heel (not included), that has an interchangeable strip of leather across the front edge. I don't stick anywhere near as much on slow approaches now.

But best of all, the recent models have stainless mesh covered vents in the soles, so they pump a little puff of air through as you walk in them. A bit of a weird sensation at first, but Asics have been doing this with running shoes for decades, so why not? It's not like you've got puddles to worry about. As more and more centres run their air-con too hot (Roy Menachemsen, are you listening?), this is becoming my favourite feature of these shoes! You truly, just don't get as hot or sweaty, foot-wise.

My last pair took 5 years before I wore through the inner lining on one heel, but otherwise, the shoes are still perfectly serviceable. I used this as the excuse to get the ventilated ones and go up half a size. No more scrunched toes! They are long lived, if you look after them.

In some years, when this pair wears out, I'll probably get another pair of ABS shoes.

I'm wearing them here... http://bowlersedge.com.au/2013/08/radical-reax-pearl/

I have to agree with Jason, I bought some dyna-thanes in 2004 and they are still strong as ever.

The cleats are fantastic, you can really fine tune your slide with these.

The only downside I found with my dynas is they are a bit narrower than the sst's (this may have changed since 04 tho), as I've found my balance is more consistent with the wider footprint

Thanks for all of the great advice guys and gals.

Mick, that is a good bit of advice on the soles for dexters, may very well save a few SST8 users.

Jason, you know i am a sucker for retro, maybe some Linds in brown and gold...now that would be stylin'. The 3G look like a great option. Just spent some time looking for the ABS NV-4 being the newer model. Very nice and very pricey, around $240Euro. ouch.

Still a few old linds adjustable sole models around.

The Etonic Tour Masters are great value, but not wonderful if soles are not going to be vailable in a few years time.

Again, thanks to every one for their advice.

Hi John i totally agree with Jason i have Dyno rooz most comfortable bowling shoe i have worn. I have just ordered a new pair to carry with me. Bought hubby black shuffler and he thinks their great. worth trying

Hi Guys,

Of those of you that have tried both Dexter and 3G/Dyna-Rooz, how do the sizes compare. Are they the same between the Dexters and Dyna's as my dexters are actual one size smaller than my Nike or Acics runners. Shouldn't really call them runners as I am never in that much of a hurry.

Just checked 4 pairs of shoes / boots against the 3G's...
Asics Cross Trainers -US 11
Reebok Basketball Boots - US 10½
Salomon Rogaining Boots - US 11
Puma Canvas Shoes - US 11
3G Bowling Shoes - US 10½

My foot measures 28cm (and a smidge), heel to toe.

In regards to sst8's, when I put a new sole on my slide foot, I don't cut it flush with the shoe, I oversize it a bit at the front so I don't ruin the Velcro part.. The new blue/black/grey ones are the bomb..

Just to add to this Dexter do mention when changing soles to remove from the back of the foot first so as not to potentially pull away the velcro at the toe of the shoe.

Back
Top Bottom