Shoe Maintenance

I bought a secondhand pair of shoe some years ago and they have served me well.
A some time ago I notice they started to lose there slip (I rely in a lot of slide (not sure if this in normal or not??))
My coach at the time went and got a small wire brush and said rough the sole with this it will help (now I'm not sure it did any good Cannot remember)
But I would have thought roughing the sole up would have given me more grip not slip????
I then discovered a product called EZY SLIDE and this seemed to help but its seems to be hard to get (Our local Pro shop don't have it any more) the last one I bought via a mail order from Bowlers World in Melbourne If I remember correctly.
Ive never seen anyone else use this product!!
At league last night I applied the EZY SLIDE at the start of the night (as I usually do) and found I half way thought the 3 game I had lost my slide altogether and had to apply it again ( I could hear the squeak as the sole gripped the boards)
So I'm wondering what can I do to rectify the problem - new shoes,resole,Wire Brush????
Its seem to be a thing here that bowlers buy ordinary sports type shoes and take them to a local boot maker for him to sew leather soles on (this usually works out a lot cheaper that a pair of new bowling shoes)
Is this a normal practice???
I notice on the World Masters Video that one bowler had shoes with VELCRO patches on the sole he could remove and replace sections of the sole depending on how much slip or grip he wanted.
Ive never seen such a thing here are they something exclusive for the PROS??
(seems a bit of an extreme)
Ive search the net for info but there doesn't seem to be much on care for shoes
I welcome your comments

Hello Nev25,

I rely on slide as well & I just hate it when I stick.
So I use a shoe slide that you just pull over your shoe & it works everytime.

A few people make there own, but you can buy them from some pro shops if they stock them.
If not, I'm sure Max of Bowling Balls Australia will be able to help you.

As for those removable velcro patches that Chris Bairns wears, I think they do the same thing as the removable soles. But I'm not sure.

Hope this helps.

Jenny ;)

Im sure max has some sorta sale on Dexter sst6's atm...

The great thing about them, is when the soles and heels wear out, you can just buy new ones and stick em on ;)

Check out www.bowlingballsaustralia.com.au or send me a pm to follow it up furthur with you :D

Good luck!

I bought a secondhand pair of shoe some years ago and they have served me well.
A some time ago I notice they started to lose there slip (I rely in a lot of slide (not sure if this in normal or not??))
My coach at the time went and got a small wire brush and said rough the sole with this it will help (now I'm not sure it did any good Cannot remember)
But I would have thought roughing the sole up would have given me more grip not slip????

Brushing your sole WITH the nap/grain will increase slide. Brushing against the nap/grain or crosswise wiLL hinder sliding ability.

I then discovered a product called EZY SLIDE and this seemed to help but its seems to be hard to get (Our local Pro shop don't have it any more) the last one I bought via a mail order from Bowlers World in Melbourne If I remember correctly.
Ive never seen anyone else use this product!!
AND I HOPE YOU NEVER SEE IT AGAIN! The use of EZY SLIDE on your shoe is not only against ABC/TBA rules but it's probably the worst thing you can do to your fellow bowlers. This stuff is so slick that even though you may be able to slide forever, so will your fellow bowlers and I can guarantee you, they WON"T be happy about it. Nothing quite like slipping on the approach that was perfect a minute ago and twisting your knee or worse.

just to clarify...The product referred to in the above post is actually called Easy Slide and it's slicker than snot. I would've typed **** but it's not allowed.

It's the worst thing ever to hit a bowling alley!! It can upset your team-mate's, your opponents, and the next 5 people that bowl on that lane!! If it's not illegal it should be... As always, this is my opinion only!

My apologies yes the product is called EASY SLIDE manufactured by Master-Industries.
The interesting thing is I have been using this product for maybe 6 or 7 years including many leagues and tournaments including partnering our local TBA rep and nothing had ever been said?
I just found rule number 125 in the TBA Rule Book that states
-APPROACHES MUST NOT BE DEFACED
The use of such substances as aristol, talcum powder, pumice, resin, etc, on shoes; the use of soft rubber soles and heels that rub off, and in any manner alter the normal conditions of the approach are strictly prohibited

I could argue that the easy slide doesn't alter the approach just the sole of my shoes!!!!!
(By the time I walk to the approach area any excess powder would have fallen off)(no-one has ever complained about the slippery surface after I have bowled!!!!!!!!!!!)
Anyway beside all this my Question still exists HOW DO I INCREASE THE SLIDE OF MY SHOES.
Now that I now know I am possible doing something illegal I need a solution.
I'm afraid I don't subscribe to the concept of if I have a problem throw money at it.
In other words most of the answers I'm receiving is to buy new shoes
Is this the only solution?.
The Problem still may exist

Someone suggested brushing with the Nap/Grain ?????
Some explanation please?

You could try putting a sock over the front of your shoe.

You change the slide then by the material. If you want to slide hard core find some sort of silk sock!

I know Robbie Buckley loves bowling with a sock on his shoe.

Talcum powder in player's areas is one thing I can't stand. Like Caboolture on a Wednesday night.. it's usually a white christmas. More often than not it gets on the floor (much of it from the league before ours) and on a couple of occasions I've checked out my sole, and it's basically been mostly white on brown.

People just don't seem to get the message. I don't know how many people I've seen slip over because of the stuff.

Hey Nev - The brush thing is something that I have done in the past. I find that the direction of my foot in the slide is the key to which way to brush. You can tell which way your foot faces in the slide by looking at the sole. You should notice some lines on the sole of your shoe that will run (basically) from toe to heel. Imagine a line that runs from the middle of the toe part of your shoe to the middle of the heel part. The direction of your slide might be on some angle to this.
So...once you have determined the direction that you foot faces in your slide then if you brush along this line from front to back your should increase the slide, if you brush across this line you should increase the stick.
I have used a tiny bit of talcum power on the sole and, in the days of smoking in centres, the best thing was cigarette ash....but of course this is probably not legal.
Let us know if you find a solution.

You could try putting a sock over the front of your shoe.
You change the slide then by the material. If you want to slide hard core find some sort of silk sock!
I know Robbie Buckley loves bowling with a sock on his shoe.
Former PBA touring pro (now deceased) Jim Johnson Jnr used to do that.
Made a telecast at the PBA National on ABC Sports bowling with the sock over the shoe.
Had about 40-something 300's to his name back in the late 80's.

Talcum powder in player's areas is one thing I can't stand. Like Caboolture on a Wednesday night.. it's usually a white christmas. More often than not it gets on the floor (much of it from the league before ours) and on a couple of occasions I've checked out my sole, and it's basically been mostly white on brown.
People just don't seem to get the message. I don't know how many people I've seen slip over because of the stuff.
The one that I don't like is bowlers walking outside to have a dart or get some fresh air while wearing uncovered bowling shoes.
The cement would have ash, spit, snot, rain, cordial and whatever else on it, and that would end up on the bottom of shoes and get onto approaches. Not good.

Reminds me of the time I copped off a couple of social bowlers who were standing around in the rain in puddles wearing house shoes outside the door.
I told them if they went to bowl with wet shoes they'd end up chin first onto the lane so it might be a good idea to change them.
From talking to these two, I surmised that they seemed as dumb as a dog's bottom biscuits, I watched them change their shoes, then about half an hour later I walk out of the pro shop to go and have a cigarette outside, and there's the same two outside having a smoke, in house shoes, dancing in the puddles this time! :confused:

Shook me head and walked off this time.

Back
Top Bottom