Bowler's Edge Tournament Preview-TBA National Championships & AMF Australian Masters

jason_doust

The Bowling Geek
G'Day Bowling Fans,

I normally post previews up in the NSW Sport Series forum, but as the next event is at Rooty Hill on the Nationals pattern, it made sense to put it up here and link in.

Here's a little insight into what to expect at Rooty Hill. Enjoy!

Tournament Previews :: Bowler’s Edge – Your Competitive Edge

Cheers,
Jason

p.s. Please read the fine print! This pattern can play a lot of ways. This is just the way I see it scoring the highest.
p.p.s. And please watch out of the loud audio at the intro and exit. Too much on and not enough time to clean it all up.
p.p.p.s. For some reason, Word Press has decided to slot into the middle of the previews. Please scroll down until I sort this out...

Re: Bowler's Edge Tournament Preview-TBA National Championships & AMF Australian Mast

Hi Jason,

Good review, and pretty much the way we saw it play last weekend.

Well done Jason.

Re: Bowler's Edge Tournament Preview-TBA National Championships & AMF Australian Mast

Jase,

This is the first one of these I have seen and you have done a really good job. I recommend people to have a look at the link and take notice.

As John mention it is pretty much on the money as to how the pattern played last week down in Wollongong....oh and people please take notice and dont use dull gear and play through the middle of the lane, the pattern is hard enough without it been trashed up! :)

Great vid Jason,

That answers some of the queries i had about that pattern i see why i was able to throw some good games, but then not continue with it.

Jase,

This is the first one of these I have seen and you have done a really good job. I recommend people to have a look at the link and take notice.

As John mention it is pretty much on the money as to how the pattern played last week down in Wollongong....oh and people please take notice and dont use dull gear and play through the middle of the lane, the pattern is hard enough without it been trashed up! :)
Thanks Jarrod, It's not as refined as some of the others, but time is of the essence lately. Regarding your point about the sandpaper squad, I agree completely and offer the following reason why, so folks can perhaps learn a bit about lane play.

To anyone considering the sanded ball up 10 board approach (and there's always a bunch of guys and gals doing it!) The way to play this pattern is to move your feet and eyes. If you are going to use a sanded ball, use it in practice outside the break to create a bump spot. i.e. Practice 5-6-7 board with sandpaper, then move into 8-9-ish when that spot develops. On a 39ft pattern, you should be working on a breakpoint around 8 board for most players. SO you want hold inside and hook outside 8 board to score well.
SANDED BALL ON 10 BOARD = DEATH either because you've just burned up the wrong spot, leaving a big oil patch outside your line, giving you hook inside and hang outside, or because if I follow you onto the pair, I'll bloody kill you!

Great vid Jason,

That answers some of the queries i had about that pattern i see why i was able to throw some good games, but then not continue with it.
Thanks Daryl,
Like I say in the vid, keep your eyes peeled. So much of the pattern transition happen within the pattern, as opposed to carrydown into the backend. So head oil gets dragged into midlane oil and the break can move out to begin with, then head and midlane oil gets depleted as you attack it from a straighter angle where there is less volume and you have to chase it in again.

But there's only so far you can chase it in before your angle opens up too far in the front of the lane and you either need to change ball to a weaker shell (down-shell) or get in and really hook it. But I suspect that we won't see this on a grand scale, as there is a lot of volume up front and the surface is still new (read: smooth).

Because the pattern doesn't provide absolute dependability of hook, keep your bowling balls clean too.

Great job Jase... Thanks for posting this.

Now, just wait for all the guys to throw super-soaker balls that have been rolled around in the carpark ;)

From an amateur's point of view, i find this type of information very helpful and interesting. Your work is certainly appreciated jason. :)

Great job Jase... Thanks for posting this.

Now, just wait for all the guys to throw super-soaker balls that have been rolled around in the carpark ;)
You're welcome Andrew!

I've got a friend watching the Seniors this week and guess what..? :p From what he tells me, apparently rubbing Abralon on one's ball is easier than opening one's eyes, moving one's feet or God forbid, actually thinking and changing lines. Says he's never seen so many 160 games in a final from so many guys just playing it wrong. (I think I made a subtle reference to 10 board and a sanded ball earlier..?) I trust we will eventually see people willing to learn and experiment. The moral to the story?; When you have nothing, you also have nothing to lose, so go look for something! Surface changes are an advanced technique once you have fished around and found the right part of the lane to play. Using surface to overcome a poor line choice will usually do more harm than good.

For what it's worth, Sport Series hooked a lot more than we all expected. Didn't really look like 24.7ml. (A lot like the recent SS at Nth Strathfield didn't look like 43ft.) Then again, it's only 39ft long, and multiple washes each day will see Kegelitis kick in, so the backends will have plenty of time to spark pretty hard. I suspect that players should expect the pattern to burn faster than the preview says if what we see next week is like NSW Sport Series was.

Remember this aspiring Nationals Competitors - Bowlers have ears and bowling lanes do not. So when the lanes tell you where to play and where not to play, you'd be very wise to listen!

Let's see what comes and go bowl our brains out on it!

Cheers,
Jason

Hi Jason,

Any updates to your post now you have had a throw on the condition?

Bongiorno Alberto, as pollies say outside parliament, that's a very good question and thanks for asking!

An update..? Yes. I am much less sure of anything now!

I've seen plenty of folks do quite well with strategies similar to what I have suggested in the preview. Just wish I was one of them. I can't get much of a read throwing it as poorly as I have the last few days, alas. Let's see how Friday goes. It'll come back, I'm sure. (He said, knowing that the alternative to hope is despair!)

I've had two blocks where I managed to pry it off my hand OK. One was 639 (lousy game 1) and I played through 9 to about 6-7 and kept it up the boards with a straight hand and a symmetric ball (Motiv QZ-2). The other block was 685 and I had 29 closed frames. (Damned blower 7-10...) I hooked it quite a bit in that block going through 20 out to about 6-7 with my handup the back of the ball big time using an asymmetric ball (900G Bank).

Who goes before you can make a difference, but execution is the key. I was on a pair with Jason Belmonte when he shot 760-something to my 560-something. The difference? I threw it like crap, he threw it like gold. In about a ka-zillion strikes, I think he rolled one 4-pin late. Everything else was just precision placement, machine-like speed control and thermonuclear-like impact. Pretty basic really. He threw it 200 pins better than me. Oh yeah, he had a ball change in there too, just to keep it interesting.

There's a lot of volume, but the length of oil is short and the blend width and buff length is medium. So the change in direction is getting stronger and stronger with every lane wash and that's 3 times a day. Not exactly my ideal scenario, but hey... There's plenty of guys loving all that friction. I've gotta nut out a way to be one of 'em.

Cheers,
Jason

Back
Top Bottom