Best Leauge ever in your centre

AdrianS

This is the future!!!
Going on the from best centres and food its time for best leauge ever in your home centre

At Mt Gambier it was the the Petersen Leauge(when we had enough decent bowlers) About 20 was a good number only 15 yr ago!!!

Logan City it was the Scratch Singles from a couple yrs back, it never quite going(and it hasnt yet, wait a couple of yrs!!!) but add the house shot, scratch only points and some of Brizzies best bowlers and it was amazing(maybe it can can put on Wednesday night)

Brunswick Trios from the old Shellharbour/New StrikeZone. The format was great, the team selection process avoided stacked teams, and it was a scratch trios league. Great fun, Great prizes, Great Bowlers.

Cheers, Cow.

Sponsors League - Wednesday nights at 6:30pm at Moonah during the 1980's and early to mid 90's was my all-time favourite.

Fantastic league back in those days, the level of competition was absolutely amazing.
It started in 1963 and really caught on during the late 1970's to have 24 x 5-person teams by then, it still had 22 x 5 as late as 1992, but slowly started dropping in number after that but still had around 16 or 17 teams as late as 1997/98, it was still the biggest league in the State at that stage.

Had a magnificent atmosphere, big crowds watching and all the city's best players played in it which really spurred me on to join when I was about 14 or something.
The League started to become blighted through politics and petty bickering in the late 90's and that kinda got a lot of players offside and when the players started wanting more money for prizefunds during the late 90's there was an exodus of players to Centre League, at the end of 1999 AMF management decided to drop the 5-man team format back to 4's in order to get the later league on earlier to free up the lanes for cosmic bowling.
And that pretty much killed it. It just wasn't the same anymore.
It was only about a month or so later that more than half the league had left to either join Centre League or had quit altogether and a meeting was held to discuss whether to fold it or keep going.
It still exists today but isn't a patch on what it was as other leagues' have grown bigger and with stronger competition.
Only Centre League during the early to mid 2000's rivalled what Sponsors used to be like, but ironically that also went downhill in the end through politics.
I count myself lucky that I was able to play in it during its strongest period and being the first righty in 39 years to shoot 300 in it (the only other one at the time was by lefty Paul Lucock) was something I'll always look back on happily.
Great days :)

Then - Friday night singles at Clayfield or Monday Night singles at Greenslopes. Some of Brisbane's and Australia's best bowlers (Kury, Richmond, Alan Atkins, Tony Roderick, Ken Sheehan to name a few). Also Thursday Night 5 man team league at Clayfield, a great league, people who loved to bowl 5 man teams...good times..
Now - Wednesday night Singles at Logan, who needs a house pattern 4 different sports patterns in one year, come & challenge yourself, has some of the countries best bowlers (Carl, George, Pilko, Bee to name a few).

For me it would be from 10 years ago, the Pro Doubles @ Mt Gravatt (scratch) when I had the chance to bowl with Glenn Fryer (a great guy) and now it would be the Money Makers @ Mt Warren on Tuesday nights (scratch & h/cap).

QLDER!!!

Grant

Milton in its hay day had by far the most talented bowlers in Brisbane on any given night...

Monday Singles...

Friday Night Singles (and cards in the bar after wards till sometimes 4 am) and who could ever forget the Wednesday night triples league...It was dripping with talent and the place had some of the strongest Leagues...If you won a high game award or won he Leagues their you sure as hell deserved them...

Anyone who was anyone bowled at Milton...

International Doubles at Dandenong :)
Got the likes of Paul Trotter & Mac Stewart and everyone is just so friendly and welcoming!

Rockdale had two scratch singles leagues on Tuesday night that were second to none. Great bowlers, great people.

Scratch Singles at 7:00 was Pederson points and the Classic Singles at 9:00 was a 10 point basis.

You could have picked an FIQ team out them. Then a varying bunch of us would go out drinking and dancing or maybe for just a hamburger afterwards. Great days.

Have to agree with the Cow, that Triples league was good and very close, the way the teams were developed was like a draft system, i cant remember the ave cap but i think it was like 590 or 600, and then it was scratch bowling.

Also Friday night singles at Warrawong, in its heyday about 40 bowlers of all levels and descriptions bowling 4 games scratch. Was pederson points to start then just a normal points.

Bring back more scratch leagues

grand prix league at burleigh heads, 22 teams of 4, and you got fined points, if your team members didn't wear the appropriate uniform

had an team average ceiling, head to head, with the lowest average bowling at 1, and the highest at 4

Under 21's Scratch Singles at Central Park Lanes (Central Coast), centre is no longer there but it was a great league.

Also can't go past High-Roller League (Juniors) 10-15 years ago, think it started at Rockdale and then move to Manhatten (Mascot). Had all the great junior bowlers in it from the Sydney region and was always full...acutally think had to be invited to bowl in it when it was at its prime.

AWA Doubles League at St Leonards on a Tuesday night. It started at 10pm with some of the greats of bowling in Australia. Mackie, Hoskins, Peel, Froebel,Batson and quiet a few more. After we finished, we were up to the mezzanene floor for beers and cards till all hours of the morning. Mackie used to give me the keys to lock up when we finished.
Those were the days when bowling was fun. What has happened to all that!!!!!!!
Cheers Lovey

Under 21's Scratch Singles at Central Park Lanes (Central Coast), centre is no longer there but it was a great league.

Also can't go past High-Roller League (Juniors) 10-15 years ago, think it started at Rockdale and then move to Manhatten (Mascot). Had all the great junior bowlers in it from the Sydney region and was always full...acutally think had to be invited to bowl in it when it was at its prime.

Thanks Jarrod, you just reminded me! The predecessor to the High Rollers at Rockdale was the Classic Singles at Leichhardt. I think it started in about 1982. It was a junior scratch singles league on Saturday afternoons. 32 bowlers from all over Sydney and as far as Cambelltown, Penrith, Wollongong and the Central Coast (before any convenient motorways in Sydney) with a waiting list to be invited. It was the gateway to bowling President's Shield. Even better, it was a blast!

David and Jenny Hamilton managed Leichhardt and were avid supporters of the junior league program. After some practice, then a kebab up the road (we were kids discovering this fancy foreign food back then...), We'd rock into Leichhardt for Dr Ed Kee's coaching earlier in the day and on a good day, you practiced with Fred Allsopp, Jenaette Baker, Jenny Burton, Gary Kee, Steve Hedrick, Andrew Frawley and us mere mortal kids at the time. And that was before league!

I used to really hang out for Saturdays and still see some guys from that league. Saw Mark Walton at Sport Series yesterday, in fact! Many, many happy memories. Thanks again Jarrod! :)

Brunswick Trios from the old Shellharbour/New StrikeZone. The format was great, the team selection process avoided stacked teams, and it was a scratch trios league. Great fun, Great prizes, Great Bowlers.

Cheers, Cow.

Agreed.
As far as Junior leagues went...our Legends league was great.
Right now, I think our Scratch Singles league is it. Best league the centre has had in a few years now.

Western Suburban tenpin league Sunshine Victoria.In it's heyday it filled 28 lanes of 5 man teams.Oh what wonderful memories, now the league is just a shadow of its former glory days.

Amflite at Moorabbin. When my son, Matthew, and I joined there were 28 five person teams plus a waiting list. Some excellent bowlers including Ian Bradford, Mark Malloy, Warren Stewart, Katrrina Willeme, Dena Buxton, Dave Rogers, Frank Ryan and a host of others (who I hope won't be offended by my failing memory).
Brackets every night of bowling and a great atmosphere.

The thoroughbred league in Melton is a doubles league (hdcp) and always has at least 14 teams every season (which isn't bad considering Melton only has 16 lanes).

Everyone in the league gets along well, people are friendly and most of the time, people bowl because they enjoy it.

Cheers

Bigsy...

Back
Top Bottom