Belmo's two-word epitaph to 5th Brunswick Euro Challenge

elsie

Paris, France: “’Oh dear’..... That’s about the only two words I can say without 'bleeping' the text…. plain and simple, I bowled bad….” This was the epitaph to a disappointing outing at the 5th Brunswick Euro Challenge in Paris posted by Jason Belmonte on his personal website overnight.

After rolling a 279 game in the fifth and a 1398 6-game series in qualifying last week, Belmonte briefly held top-placing, only to be overtaken by Sweden’s Martin Larsen on 1448. The pair maintained its lead going into the final rounds of this prestigious tournament that attracted more than 400 bowlers from 36 countries.

Fate intervened, however, and all but one of the top three seeds was eliminated in the second Final round.

”I shot 170 something my first game, missed a single pin and was basically spray painting the lane with my ball. I could see where I had to throw it but my hands decided that it would be better if they did what they wanted,” Belmonte stated candidly.

Another near-perfect 279 in the second of best-of-three match was the high game of the round, but a lapse in the decider enabled his opponent, Olli Hossi from Finland to progress to the next stage.

The popular tournament was won by Sweden’s Peter Ljung, with US bowlers Mike Fagan and Ronnie Russell in second and third place. Defending champion, Osku Palermaa from Finland finished fourth.

Nevertheless, the irrepressible Aussie was excited by the prospect of his next adventure. “I’m off to the States tomorrow and going to bowl the US OPEN…..it’s the last tournament of the PBA calendar year and a lot of people are really hitting their straps …. careers are on the line and one thing I’ve learned about the pro bowlers, when they need it, they produce their best bowling,” he added.

Full scores and further details of the 2008 Brunswick Euro Challenge can be found on the official tournament website – www.brunswickeurochallenge.com

ends

For further details, please contact Lynne Clay on +61 419 444 280 or by email [email protected]

Back
Top Bottom