Belmo's track

Brendan S

Hi guys i was wondering if anybody, (even you belmo if you reads this) has a picture of where belmo's track is on his ball, i seem to have most of what he does but can't hook the lane or anything close like he does. I'd just like a pic to see if its similar to mine coz im guessing the reason is in my roll.

P.S i didn't really know where to ask this but where better to look then in the main forum.

I'd probably email Chris Schlemer or Jason himself. Chris was Belmo's ball tech for a long time so he will have an idea!

Hi Brendan,

I had the pleasure of bowling with Belmo out at Orange. The first thing you do is spend the first two games shaking your head in amazement as to what he can do with a bowling ball.

If memory serves me correctly his first track ring is fairly high and would be in around the 11 inch diameter mark.

That was the bit that stood out most, not only does he have such a high rev rate, but the forward roll is way over anything else I have ever seen from other high rev bowlers. You find a lot of high rev bowlers have a tighter first track ring, say 10 inch diameter or lower.

Belmo's is just plain brutal.

Some of the other tournament bowlers may have taken a look at his kit, so please correct me if my memory is wrong.

Since a ball's maximum diameter is something like 8.6", I'm hoping you're taking a wild stab in the dark there, John. That, or Belmo flares over more of the ball then there is ball... Which could explain quite a lot really, but I don't like that explanation.
Also, a high first flare ring doesn't equate to a large circumference, it may be much more likely, but is not by itself enough information. You'd need to know the first flare and probably his PAP to know for sure how far away you are from his roll.

I'd recommend experimenting by yourself. Find what works for you and do it, don't bang your head against the wall trying to emulate Belmo's roll, when it may not work for you. It just may do, and if it does, then you'll probably get there yourself anyway.

Cheers, Cow

Brendan, the nationals are next month. Mark said you guys were thinking of going. Just go! It's not a real long drive for you. Then you can ask him in person. It is definatley worth going and seeing how these guys do their job.

Thanks Cow,

Poor explanation late at night on my behalf. Happy to be corrected always as that is how we learn.

Measuring 1st track ring to 1st track ring is what I was referring too. The measurement directly across the surface of the ball not through the ball.

Typically,

zero degree axis tilt would be = 13.5 inch edge to edge across the surface of the ball.
ten degree axis tilt would be = 12.0 inch

And so on as seen in the chart below.

Examples taken from the following site: http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index.php?title=File:Axistiltchart.JPG

I came across this article a while back about two handed bowlers by Bill Spigner, might be a good read: http://www.billspigner.com/pdf/1011_Bill_BJI.pdf

Other interesting information found through the wonders of Google:

Belmo's spec's:
Favorite Layout: PAP: 5" x 1" up - Pin above the bridge, CG kicked to the right about 1/2", with the thumb offset from the gripline 1" to the right.

Found here:http://www.stormbowling.com/athlete/national/jbelmonte

thanks again for the correction Cow.

Back
Top Bottom