My SPC Sportsperson award - Belmo???

Beanie

Hi All,

First of all congrats to George Frilingos and Claire Johnson for winning the South Pacific Classic held at the weekend at AMF Moorabin, from what I could see it was a very tough condition. Well done to both of you.

But I just want to make a special mention of something that happened during the mens title match, when Jason Walsh pulled up on a shot because of some distracting noise. The noise was caused by a couple of young girls that had turned up for a birthday party and had started playing some video games. Jason Belmonte walked over to the girls and had a chat to them about keeping quiet until the tournament was finished, even though he had just been knocked out by Jason Walsh.

What was more impressive was the manner in which Belmo talked to these young girls. From what I could see from the grandstand, it wasn't a telling off by any means. Judging by the body language of all involved, it was a nice friendly face-to-face chat saying something along the lines of "Hey, there's a tournament on at the moment. Do you mind being just a bit quieter till it's finished." It was done in such a way that the girls didn't get scared about what they'd done, and they certainly weren't scared of Jason when he was talking to them.

For those of you who know Belmo well, this will no doubt come as no surprise at all. But for the rest of us who don't know him that well at a personal level, this is yet another example of why he is so well respected around the world - not just as a bowler but as a person as well - and why he is becoming such a wonderful ambassador for the sport of bowling, not just in Australia but world-wide.

If I was judging a sportsperson award for the SPC tournament, I'd give it to Belmo for this alone. But since I am not judging any awards, I'd just like to say well done Belmo, you are a good man.

David.

That's very impressive. Not only did Belmo take it in such a good way, but he also showed extremely good sportsmanship :D Well done :D

Bubyee

Rowey :p

always a gentlmen on and of the lanes, top shelf belmo, top shelf

yes! he is cool, professional, mature and alround good guy, the sport needs more like him, it's ashame alot are not like him,he does show that country boy attitute that he has

I have not done this 'talking on the site' thing before...so be gentle....and no funny jokes please!

For what it is worth, I was sitting a cuppla seats away from Jason when
he asked the girls to 'quiten down'. He actually did this by 'including them' in the action...very clever. Jas sat them down and explained what was going-on, and further explained what a strike was...and that they should clap when this happens....and otherwise be veerrryyy quiet.

It almost backfired because as Walsh was stepping-off to bowl a bit later,
one of the girls in the ladies-event struck....the little girls heard the clapping, so they clapped too...you had to be there!

Still....very impressive & respectful Jas....a true world champ bowler and
a very impressive human.

Brian Loader

Back
Top Bottom