Bankstown Bowl Closes

Chez

An end of an era.....Bankstown Bowl closes it's doors on November 25th.
I have, in my possesion most of the 300 plaques, so if those that are interested, want them, please get in touch with me.
I believe there is going to be a "fun" day on the Sunday of closing...if your doing nothing, come down and say goodbye to the grand lady of tournaments.
Yet another move for me.......
Cheers,
Cheryl Munson

Certainly the end of an era.

I recall bowling at Bankstown in 1973 SPC as the rep. for Tassie (it was such a big tournament in those days), my first big tournament (bowling less than 2 yrs) and I had never seen above lane ball returns before. Was such a great experience.

The centre was completely decked out with pacific island decorations and I was greeted at the door by a young lady who placed a floral lei around my neck.

What a lasting impression for an inexperienced bowler.

Bankstown Bowl will always be in my bowling memories.

Sad to see another great center close its doors. Fond memories of Sth Pacific, TV coverage and Steve Mackie running a fantastic tournament.
Is Bankstown closing or relocating:confused:
Cheers
Joe T:cool:

I have fond memories of Bankstown Bowl.

As a Leichhardt junior, we had a fierce, yet friendly rivalry with the Bankstown boys. It was always great to beat them on their home turf. Probably happened as much to us, but who remembers now?

It was where you went to watch the NSW Open and the South Pacific Classic and see the best players in the country strut their stuff. You saw a lot of eye-opening things at the SPC compared to bowling league in Parramatta. It widened your horizons.

It was where I won the SPC. It was a big deal. ABC TV, 500+ plus people cheering from stands that were 8 rows high. As a junior, I used to scale the stands from behind and hang off to watch the final, as all the good seats were gone before lunchtime and I wanted to get around the house to see and hear what was going on. Then there was the SPC Victory Banquet. Bowling's night of nights without a doubt.

I remember pulling both grips out of a Blue Dot in a shot practicing there one night. Back when you could lift the ball. (John Ford witnessed it!) And those annoying ball returns that you'd kick for every 10 pin spare!

I once went out with the cutest girl who worked on the desk too. (She broke my heart, alas!)

Bankstown was also the last place I saw Carol Shephard, one of the loveliest people I have ever had the privilege to meet.

Valé Bankstown.

Bankstown Bowl has many memories for me. Too many infact to list here but it comes to mind that I had my first ever game in the centre way back in the early 1960's.

As a result I got 'hooked' and some forty-five years or so later am still at it. I've often thought what my life would have been like if a friend hadn't dragged me in there one night after a Squash match.

Afterall I met my wife through bowling. My wife and all three of my kids bowled and at one time or other worked in bowling centres. Two of the three met their patners in bowling centers.

I for one will definately be sad to see Bankstown Bowl go..

Hi Chez, What's happening to Enfield? I hear it is staying open. I visited Sydney on wednesday and did a tour around the new cemtres and I was very disappointed.
Kingpin at Darling Harbor will struggle without major outside selling to corporates etc,
and Strike at DH is to far away from the tourist area. Strathfield for what was spent on it is boring, just another bowling centre! To all the interior designers out there, please start putting ceilings back in. This black exposed everything style just doesn't work for me. Take a look at Hornsby, solid plaster ceiling down to the approach area, fantastic. What a great job they've done with the tired old Hornsby. After many tries to make it look good they've finally cracked it. Pity it still doesn't have players area seating 4 months after the official re-opening. Somethings never change, if you know what I mean!We also called in at Manhattan Superbowl, now that is looking very tired, sad for what was a good and innovative venue.

Metro Bowl Bankstown! My home centre. Bowled my first ball there in 1965. All of my junior life was spent at Bankstown Bowl. My first place of employment. Ah such fond memories.

Rest In Peace Bankstown Bowl

Metro Bowl Bankstown! My home centre. Bowled my first ball there in 1965. All of my junior life was spent at Bankstown Bowl. My first place of employment. Ah such fond memories.
Rest In Peace Bankstown Bowl

Wow, I didn't know one of our state's (and nations) top bowlers came from Bankstown.

1965? Sue, you sure you were even born then? :p You look great today! ;)

Wow, I didn't know one of our state's (and nations) top bowlers came from Bankstown.
1965? Sue, you sure you were even born then? :p You look great today! ;)
She was 1. ;)

Bankstown used to be a hotbed of good players. Right after Rockdale, it was where you found the best action. I'd forgotten it was called Metro Bowl. Thanks Sue!

Remember when it had 34 lanes and you still couldn't get one on a Sunday? When that generous concourse was about 1.2 metres up from the players area? You could watch 5 or six matches easily from that bird's eye view.

I remember Bankstown,watching this blonde headed girl bowl,That was you Sue .Somebody said Lovey she is only 3, but what a great friendship we have had over the years of bowling. Bankstown will be sadly missed.
Lovey

Sad too see another bowl close. Fond memories of bowling at Bankstown during the ECCC in 1991. As a bonus that week saw Chris Batson bowl a very nice 279 game forget what pin it was that denied the perfect game. Magic to watch him on his home domain he owned those lanes. I wonder if one is going to go under his arm when the door closes for that final time. Sad that I can't make it there for the farewell. Yes Bankstown RIP.

SPC (the duck's guts of tournaments) was the highlight of my early bowling life at Bankstown - the trip away in those far-away days was sooooooo good and the drinkie poos at the Sports Club led to some big hangovers and aftermaths we will not mention (just ask Graham Smith!). The atmosphere with the smoke up high in the bleachers (when we could puff away inside!) so thick that we could hardly see the pins, holes kicked in the walls beside the stairs (that part has not changed with the years), Steve Mackie and his professionalism, Trish and Carol (RIP), Sue who was a baby !! AND the boys having to wear white long trousers when coloured jocks started to become fashionable !!!!!!! Vale Bankstown.

Flower

That is so sad. I haven't been to Bankstown since the last junior nationals.

Despite ever only going there a few times, it was the place of many firsts for me. My first 150 game and 400 series (when I was 9) and then a few years later, my first 200 game.

Such a shame to see another great centre close.

Bec Mueller.

Back
Top Bottom