Another bowl closes.

l marsden

I received a phone call from the owner of the cosy little 6 lane centre at Stanthorpe on Monday telling me that after much deliberation they were going to have to close the centre. Due to the economic downturn in business around the Stanthorpe district over the past 3 - 4 months it was not viable to keep the doors open. The centre has been operating for about 18 months and was built and run by a local couple who wanted to inject some "life" into the Stanthorpe area.
It is believed that part of the reason for the downturn in the town is due to the ongoing roadworks on the Cunningham Gap section of the highway since the January floods washed a lot of the road away.
I know it is only a 6 lane centre, but it had a great atomosphere and friendly country hospitality.
Shane and Melissa had plans for several other small centres dotted around S.E.Qld and I hope that this doesn't dampen their enthusiasm for the industry.
The centre will close its doors on October 31.

Oh Dear,
I am so sorry to hear that. Was going to call in there next time up that way. Try Warwick ?? 10 or 12 surely would be supported there? Plus it's closer to Toowoomba - might be able to get some exchange visits going??

I'm saddened to hear of any bowl closing. And the demise of the Stanthorpe centre hurts our sport more than many of you realise. But here's some advice for anyone out there who is even remotely considering building a new bowl anywhere in this country. Do not..and I repeat DO NOT open a centre with less than 16 lanes. In this instance the Stanthorpe centre was doomed to fail. A six lane bowl isn't going to work because the operational costs aren't much less than those of a 16 lane bowl, but expected income that can be generated with just six lanes is far far less a larger centre.

Yes, Wayne's right. It's like many things ( say a Motel ) there is a minimum economic number. There are a few 12 lane centres which will survive, through the right location and good management, but another 2 or4 lanes would be safer.

I'm saddened to hear of any bowl closing. And the demise of the Stanthorpe centre hurts our sport more than many of you realise. But here's some advice for anyone out there who is even remotely considering building a new bowl anywhere in this country. Do not..and I repeat DO NOT open a centre with less than 16 lanes. In this instance the Stanthorpe centre was doomed to fail. A six lane bowl isn't going to work because the operational costs aren't much less than those of a 16 lane bowl, but expected income that can be generated with just six lanes is far far less a larger centre.

Essentially the message here is correct however, the number of operational lane beds should not be based alone on operating costs. Population density is the number one criteria when calculating the number of lane beds that a viable bowling centre can successfully operate. The last time I looked at the Australian statistics, less than .1% of the population bowls on a regular weekly basis. Stanthorpe has, in round figures a population of 4200. If you were to include the population from surrounding areas that this centre could draw on for patronage, whatever that figure might be. I'm certain that a 16 lane centre is not and never will be a viable business venture with such a small customer base.

Commiserations to the owners.

the amount of lanes has nothing to do with it you need people spending money i am a bowling orhan grown up in a centre in gladstone we have 16 lanes should only have 12 the other 4 hardly get used and in this town people earn 3k a week and we are down 15% so its a sign of the times you can have 32 lanes but if you dont have people coming in the door its not worth it.
carbon tax is going to hurt the bowling industry

well said dom. totally agree.

you have to get people in the door, regardless of population. it is allabout getting that disposable income and traffic into your doors. shrewd advertising and word of mouth works best. shame about the closure. last thing the sport needs, regardless of locality or lanes.

Back
Top Bottom