Ball company scouts

Jase

Admin
Staff member
I have a question for all to think about.

What if Storm had of picked up Belmo when he was say 14 years old?
What if Hammer had of done something similar with Walshy?
And Track with George?

Just using examples there nothing else.

I suppose what i am asking is, did these Great bowlers stand out when they were younger? Do bowling company scouts get out there and look at bowlers at a younger age then say 18? I know it happens in other sports, League, Soccer and the likes, does it happen in the sport of Tenpin Bowling? What if it did, and these three bowlers were to have been picked up at an early age by different sponsors then the ones they hold now, would they still be with them? Or would they be with someone else?

What I’m trying to say at the end of the day, I am sure that there are sponsors out there that would love to have there companies equipment in the hands of some of these top line bowlers, and was wondering do we think this will ever happen in our sport like it does in others?

I mean the three guys mentioned and Bottomley for that matter all must have been above and beyond there competition then, and shown that yes they were going to be greats as they are now with there talent and maybe, there path may have been different if these scouts were out there then.

I spent a day with about 10 Juniors on the weekend and out of those 10, 2 of them ( 1 Boy and 1 Girl ) stood out above and beyond anything i had seen in there age groups before, the young fellow had only been bowling 4 weeks which shocked me even more. It got me to thinking, what would it really cost some ball companies out there to say donate a bowling ball and towel to one or two of these young kids. I mean at the end of the day i bet there are a few company that wish Belmo was throwing there gear.

Just my thoughts, what are yours?

Please understand that this post is in no way an attack on any names mentioned nor an attack on any one who is or isn’t sponsored. I want to clear that up straight away as sponsorship topics seem to get hot under the collar of late.

Jase,

I think that, in Australia anyway, it is probably incumbent upon the sponsored players to notify the parent companies of anyone who is "The Next Big Thing". I say that because there are no real company representatives in Australia other than the distributors. This begs the question, however, as to whether those sponsored players are prepared to share the spoils as it were, thus possibly, in the future, placing their own sponsorship under increased pressure.

Bowlers, like most sportspersons, are selfish and egotistic. It is that selfishness and ego that most times goes a long way towards what makes a top player just that? If so, I would suggest they are less likely to assist someone else in obtaining sponsorship. Not saying everyone is like that, but plenty are.

Are distributors likely to start doing this? Some already do, in order to get their product out in the market place, however they are more likely to target established players, rather than take a risk with untried talent.

Just my thought.

Brenton_Davy said:
This begs the question, however, as to whether those sponsored players are prepared to share the spoils as it were, thus possibly, in the future, placing their own sponsorship under increased pressure.
Bowlers, like most sportspersons, are selfish and egotistic. It is that selfishness and ego that most times goes a long way towards what makes a top player just that? If so, I would suggest they are less likely to assist someone else in obtaining sponsorship. Not saying everyone is like that, but plenty are.

Brenton,

Big call.... i disagree.

Storm picked me up when i was 18, but i started throwing Storm a year earlier. With the help of my performances and the help of Andrew Frawley and Tim Mack, Storm gave me the opportunity that i have today.
Those 2 storms staffers told the parent company (Storm USA) that i could be something the company was looking for.
There was no scout involved. So without the 2 guys above, who konws what i might be bowling with today.
Australia is such a small country in terms of bowling, and the selling of equipment your right in saying that we do not have as many "SCOUTS" like many other larger sports.
But......
To say that the majority of sponsored players feel like they have to defend their "worth" to the company and not sell the talent of another bowler is absurd.
The players sponsored have a job to do. Thats to bowl great, give advice when ever asked and display the brand they are signed with to the best of their ability on and off the lanes.
That includes "looking" for the next big thing.
If you have signed to a company, then that company feels that you have the potenital to do the "JOB" of a sponsored player well and their is no reason to feel that "sharing your spoils" would reduce your chance of signing again.
Again, the majority of sponsorships in this country are for bowling balls, shirts and bags, not million dollar deals. Cant see a ball company dropping a player only to save the equipment costs....i would assume there would be a greater reason.

plus today there are more sponsored bowlers than ever.....i wonder who is telling the parent company who to sign??

Jason Belmonte

I know that this may shock you all..but i agree with Belmo :)

I have been with Track coming up to 4 years now so i was 20 when they signed me. Track picked me up thru Hertiage Bay as Track was looking to sign someone else up to include to their staff with George....I know George had told them about me and said that i was worth looking at and i also know Steve Lovell advise Hertiage Bay that they should put me on. So things fell into place and as they say the rest is history.

I know that part of my "job" for Track is to feed them information back advising them of the market over here and this includes opinions on certain matters such as signing people up. Kyle Burns was just out here 2 months ago and myself and George both spoke to him about future prospects.

I do agree with Jase (Pearson) in the fact that there could be a outstanding junior bowler out there and it could be worth a company throwing them a few balls like a deposit if u like for the future, just in case they turn out great, but this can be hard to too as Aust isnt a huge market and alot of our younger bowlers show great potential and then fall away at the age of 17,18,19 which is a shame.

Also just wanted to clear up something.. Jase P said something like i am sure the 3 guys he refered to were great younger players (or something like that) just for the record George will tell you himself...he was not a great Junior not very good at all...he says he couldnt budge the ball..but he was a late bloomer...worked hard at his game and look at him now..still cant budge a ball but wins alot :) You know i love ya mate :)

Yeah Jarrod is right,

George was one of the most talent challenged juniors imaginable (Go the Brown Edge II), but through amazing dedication and plain hard work on all facets of his game he became what he is today (Imagine how good you would be if you bowled with Hammer :D :D )

Carl on the other hand was one of the most amazing juniors to come through the ranks, and was setting scores with urethane balls most could only dream of (I think he threw 1900+ for national all-events at Fairlanes in 1985 - if I recall right this was with Brunswick GTB).

Very interesting topic

Cheers

Steve :D

Great Topic.
As a distributor for Columbia 300, we have arranged contracts for Mac Stewart, Glen Loader and Matt O'Brien. Our focus is definitely on youth and junior development (except Mac cause he's old - but I'm older so I can say that).

Maybe we're lucky, but I can tell you that all three guys have their eyes wide open looking for talent for the future as they travel, each one has come back to me with mutliple names to look at or talents to watch. They also realise that 'representing the company interests' is a large part of fulfilling their commitments to their sponsor(s). In my opinion, if you look after your sponsor, your sponsor will look after you - I guess anyone seeking sposnorship should ask what a sponsor expects, open communication seems to work. Sponsorship is a form of employment and if it is viewed as a partnership it shouldn't go wrong.

We have a plan where the sponsored bowlers equipment is given back for donation to our Junior Development Program where balls, etc, are donated to junior development programs or sold to raise money for junior development donations. All our staff (including our own contracted players - non Columbia staffers) are very enthusiastic about this and hand over equipment with no questions or regrets. We have even received balls from people who have just heard about our deal and want to donate.

Our program is to develop bowlers and get equipment out there, but as Jarrod said, to give new equipment in a small market can seem restrictive. The majority would not do it. Our solution, give used equipment, Juniors can receive recent, modern equipment, it's in good condition, turns up plugged and re-surfaced, ready to drill. Hopefully, this is an investment in the future bowlers for Australia and might make a few stay in the game in the late teen years rather than dropping out due to lack of funds and interest. If they happen to like the gear we send them and buy a few balls over time, that's great but there is no obligation to do so.

Before I get a ton of PM's, there are conditions and rules to our junior development program - that being said, I invite people who run Junior development squads to contact us with your details, we will happily send you our information package.

And by the way - I saw Carl Bottomley bowl in Perth in 85, he was and still is a major talent. If Carl version 2006 popped up tomorrow, companies could only benefit from the investment - and a 15 year lock-in contract of course.

Again, great topic, food for thought.

David McEwan

Back
Top Bottom