Just Curious - A Sponsorship Question

Shadows Fall

Prince of Darkness
I was always of the opinion that if you were sponsored by a ball company then you had to exclusively use their gear. Is this right or have I got the bull by the horns?

Obviously there are companies that have a number of brands under their control i.e. Columbia 300 also has Track, AMF and Circle Bowling under their umbrella etc.

The reason I ask is that I recently saw a sponsored bowler using a ball in a tournament that is in no way shape or form related to the company they are sponsored by.

I was thought it was odd that something like this would happen.

Cheers

Steve :D :D

Unless the company doesn't make a particular ball (I would think plastic is the only exception here as not all companies make them), or unless you haven't received all of your equipment...I would have thought they would be the only reasons (or your gear is stolen perhaps)....I would like to get the opinions of some of the staffers on this.........and some of the sponsors as well.....

G'day Steve

I will tell you how it operates from our point of view, I am not sure what other companies do.

Our staffers who were at Cairns are exactly that.....our staffers, sponsored by Bowling Balls Australia. Yes, we have part subsidy from Visionary to supply those balls to our team, but they are our sponsored players.

VBP do not have a plastic ball on the market, purely because they can not get them manufactured to their exacting standards. Consequently, our staffers usually elect to use another company's plastic ball when required. Which ball they use is entirely up to them, as is their choice to use the Lane #1 Crystal Diamond for that purpose if they wish to, as do many of our team.

Our company is the authorised Australian distributor for both Visionary and Lane #1, so whilst our staffers may not be using exclusively one of those brands for reasons mentioned above, they are still using their sponsors product.

I hope that makes things a bit clearer for you.

Regards.......Max
NB> For the record, VBP are fully aware several of our staffers are using the Lane #1 Crystal Diamond, and they have VBP's full endorsement in doing so.

Hey Max,

Thanks for your explanantion, it is good to get a sponsors viewpoint.

I can honestly say that in no way at all was I referring to any members of the BBA team.

As far as Cairns Open was concerned Kate, Pilko and Jason were excellent ambassadors for BBA and it was great to have the opportunity to talk to them about different balls, lane conditions, tournaments etc as well as important things like fishing and food :D .

It was even better that they took the time to travel north, along with Brando, George and Tony Hamilton to give the NQ bowlers a chance to bowl against some top calibre opposition.

To digress slightly, prior to 2002 before a lot of top class southerners started travelling north if you shot a 210 ave you were a pretty fair chance of winning the tournament. Since then the quality of competition has risen sharply, and it is not uncommon to shoot a 220+ave and still not win. This can only be a healthy thing for NQ bowling, and we really appreciate all the guys and girls travelling up from down south.

My question was purely out of interest, as I am a 100% staunch Hammer man and if sponsored wouldn't be caught dead bowling with anything else.

Once again thanks for the explanation

Cheers

Steve :D

G'day Steve

I fully appreciate you weren't speaking of our guys. Thanks for the feedback on how they operate, nothing less than expected - they are all great people.

We have had someone ask in the past about our VBP guys using the Lane #1 spare ball, hopefully now everyone who cares will understand.

Take care mate.....Max

Back
Top Bottom