Where to next for Ball Companies?

Troyza, If you can accept for a moment that every modern sport needs TV to widen its spectator base ( and every modern sport NEEDS spectators) then
Spectators at a footy match or golf or whatever sport held outside, feel the unseen wind and factor that into their opinion along with other facts. This allows the attending spectator a chance to share the emotional experience with a participant so he feels part of the elite group (home team or favourite player etc). In short, this empathy and sharing of feelings is what attracts spectators to a sport.
When TV broadcasts this match, a good Director will show plenty of evidence of these things, showing flags being blown and Commentary team talking about the wind etc so the viewer at home can also gain the same empathy and sharing.
This is in part, the reason why sports commentators are usually past competitors, because they are passionate and because they are seen as being part of that elite group, so for a viewer to have things explained by one of the inner group, it feels more like the viewer is being included in the inner group.
Now...back to Bowling, if TV could show the oil to the viewer, it would go a long way towards turning casual viewers into avid fans.

Sorry, that's a very brief answer to a complex question but probably a longer answer than most here are interested in receiving.
I think Bowling needs more of this fan/spectator based innovation ! ( I declare a vested interest in the subject)

No, I agree completely. I had never given thorough thought about the idea until the last 2 days. At first I believed that it would make things easier - but in reality, bowlers still need to make shots. This could be used as a tool to train bowlers as well. I also came to the conclusion that the highest level competitors don't need coloured oil to know transition & where / when it's occurring.

Once one gets past the 'in the box' thought process about this ruining the sport, one begins to see the possibilities. I've seen a lot of golf analogies being thrown around the webs in regard to this - a viewer can see a golfers obstacles, & now viewers can see ours. It's great!

I still think there are implications, no one really knows how this stuff will affect machinery & pins - will the dye over a long period of time dis-colour our pins? Will the additives ruin our lane machines? What will this mean for pinsetter cleaning? These questions can be answered & fixed in time. I am glad to see the industry at this level still trying to innovate! It means there may still be hope for the sport.

In response to several posts here, I am currently in Las Vegas and just witnessed the first WSOB stepnladder finals (filmed for ESPN) all bowled on blue dyed oil.As a spectator, this really gave you a great look at the pattern. The shows will be seen from 1st December on ESPN, so be sure to watch out for them. I am positive we willl see a lot more of this new Brunswick oil used for these big events anyway. I can also tell you it did not give any bowlers more of an edge that others.Some top names struggled today including our own Belmo..... Great event to watch and be a part of.

From an amateurs perspective, I have always struggled with the 'transition' stage during a tournament, and visualising the breakdown or carrydown was also difficult to me. For this reason I think the colored oil would be a great training tool. I think being able to see these transitions and associated reactions, and apply appropriate corrections would help many who are trying to make the step from league to competition.

Back
Top Bottom