How to get sponsored!

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
Alot of people ask me how to get recognised from a ball company and get sponsored. Having been in that situation myself I thought I'd pass on some details on how to do it and what companies are looking for.

The biggest thing you got to remember is not what the company can do for you, more so what you can do for the company. What value do you offer the company? What sort of return do you offer if a company sponsors you? It's like any business, if a company commits to giving you $3000 worth of free product a year, what sort of return can I expect?

When I first started out I bowled my first ever 300 with a Track ball (1999 - Cairns, Triton Elite :D). I then took it upon myself to email Track and tell them of my success with this great ball. Track responded with a congrats email.

I then decided if this great ball delivered great results maybe other Track equipment would so I only purchased Track equipment from then on. This helped me alot with product knowledge of the brand and what balls did what.

I then wrote ball reviews on every ball I purchased and sent it to Track. They responded everytime (sometimes it took weeks) telling me to keep up the good work.

After I won another local event I emailed them about my success, they replied and said they would send me something. I then received a set of number plate frames :D and a Track Green Stomp. I then drilled this ball based on there recommendations and finished 3rd at the Koolfoam. I email then about this great result.

I continued to purchase Track equipment for the rest of the year and submitted my resume to Track in October that year(knowing quite well they finalise contracts for the next year in November). Included in this resume was a cover letter which said, 'this is what I can do for you if I was on your staff'

* bowl 20 events per year
* use Track bowling equipment exclusively
* wear Track apparell at all times whilst in bowling centres (bowling or not)
* provide quality advice to other bowlers on Track products
* complete detailed ball reviews on every Track product released
* provide advice to other bowlers on websites (such as totalbowling and ballreivews)
* visit pro shops and talk to them about Track products, etc, etc

You get the idea, I was basically saying, 'If you invest in me, this is what i'll return'.

I then received my first ever contract for the 2001 season. I was of course over the moon and have done my best since being with them to promote the Track brand through out not only Australia but the world!

I now have progressed with Track into a Sales Manager / Technical Advisor role with Tracks mother company ' Columbia Industries '. This position gives me the ability to throw a variety of equipment to allow me to test it and pass on information to my distributors and other bowlers. I am always on the look out for bowlers who offer 'value' to the Columbia family of brands.

I really hope this helps any budding bowlers out there who are looking at getting sponsored. If you have questions please feel free to post them here or PM if you want to ask me something private.

Good luck!

George Frilingos
Sales Manager / Technical Advisor
Columbia Industries

I should probably add, I am not the person to email about sponsoring bowlers in Australia. Everything needs to be sent to the USA who collate all the information.

As for age, I'd say anyone aged 14 to 70 is a chance if they offer value!

Thanks for the detail, it really does open your eyes as to what companies look for.

What sort of average do you think is required for sponsorship?

Thanks George for that detailed post, much appreciated.

Average means a lot less than tournament results and achievements.. and dedication to a particular brand.

GeorgeF said:
Alot of people ask me how to get recognised from a ball company and get sponsored. Having been in that situation myself I thought I'd pass on some details on how to do it and what companies are looking for.
The biggest thing you got to remember is not what the company can do for you, more so what you can do for the company. What value do you offer the company? What sort of return do you offer if a company sponsors you? It's like any business, if a company commits to giving you $3000 worth of free product a year, what sort of return can I expect?
When I first started out I bowled my first ever 300 with a Track ball (1999 - Cairns, Triton Elite :D). I then took it upon myself to email Track and tell them of my success with this great ball. Track responded with a congrats email.
I then decided if this great ball delivered great results maybe other Track equipment would so I only purchased Track equipment from then on. This helped me alot with product knowledge of the brand and what balls did what.
I then wrote ball reviews on every ball I purchased and sent it to Track. They responded everytime (sometimes it took weeks) telling me to keep up the good work.
After I won another local event I emailed them about my success, they replied and said they would send me something. I then received a set of number plate frames :D and a Track Green Stomp. I then drilled this ball based on there recommendations and finished 3rd at the Koolfoam. I email then about this great result.
I continued to purchase Track equipment for the rest of the year and submitted my resume to Track in October that year(knowing quite well they finalise contracts for the next year in November). Included in this resume was a cover letter which said, 'this is what I can do for you if I was on your staff'
* bowl 20 events per year
* use Track bowling equipment exclusively
* wear Track apparell at all times whilst in bowling centres (bowling or not)
* provide quality advice to other bowlers on Track products
* complete detailed ball reviews on every Track product released
* provide advice to other bowlers on websites (such as totalbowling and ballreivews)
* visit pro shops and talk to them about Track products, etc, etc
You get the idea, I was basically saying, 'If you invest in me, this is what i'll return'.
I then received my first ever contract for the 2001 season. I was of course over the moon and have done my best since being with them to promote the Track brand through out not only Australia but the world!
I now have progressed with Track into a Sales Manager / Technical Advisor role with Tracks mother company ' Columbia Industries '. This position gives me the ability to throw a variety of equipment to allow me to test it and pass on information to my distributors and other bowlers. I am always on the look out for bowlers who offer 'value' to the Columbia family of brands.
I really hope this helps any budding bowlers out there who are looking at getting sponsored. If you have questions please feel free to post them here or PM if you want to ask me something private.
Good luck!
George Frilingos
Sales Manager / Technical Advisor
Columbia Industries
great read george

Your willingness to offer advice and share stuff like this is awesome.

Your a great advertisement for our sport.

Great post George, thanks for the tips!

Also well done on being top avg. for the lefties on that tough shot at Melbourne Cup ;)

Back
Top Bottom