Australia withdraws from hosting 2009 World Champs

How long ago did TBA get the rights to host the 2009 World Championships.

They have already run the Commonwealth Championships with a $50K loss & they put there hand up AGAIN.

The cost was expected to be around $280,000 US, or thereabouts.....

Return...... not much.........

I think there are some realities people need to consider.

1. Previous TBA management had great vision to look to host the event and along with that vison they no doubt had cemented a great deal of support to underwrite the event. At the time of the bid I have absolute confidence they had everything in order.

2. The world changes and with it comes commercial reality - with this reality comes change. Here's one example - and this HAS NOTHING to do with the state of play in support of this event - I have NO idea what the logistics or numbers were - but as ONE small example of how things are today compared to not so long ago................ Brunswick are a great company who have supported bowling - always - however here is their reality - their best stock price is something over US$40 per share - their best price in the past 52 weeks is just under US$35 per share - their CURRENT share price is US$15.20!!!!! Do you not think this company as one single example has had to make some sizable adjustments to their spending? Including no doubt drastic cut backs in outside funding? What impact will that have had as a knock-on across bowling and the marine world - I don't know - I couldn't even guess - but I'd bet it's sizable.

3. The current TBA Management no doubt make this determination with care and regret - but based on today's realities the outcome is what it is.

4. Nobody should be in the gun - the original bid no doubt stacked up - but who has a crystal ball - if you shot everyone that had vision and then had to alter their plans because of changed circumstances - you'd have a lot of bodies.

5. Move on

It was minuted at the CTBF AGM that the cost to host the CTBC was in the vicinity of $50K. My understanding is that TBA did have some minor sponsors for that event so the loss may have been less.

However, that same year TBA hosted the Asian Youth at a significant profit, from what I can recall so much so that it covered the CTBC loss.

So with some hard work and supportive sponsors these events can be revenue neutral.

$280,000 is a lot of money to host something like this. I am really sorry to see Australia lose this but what this shows is that we need to get new bowlers participating in this country if we are gonna have any chance of rasing the money needed for something like this. I should also say that sponsorship is so crucial and unfortunately we just dont have enough of it in this country for this sport.

I believe the number and variety of comments posted here in relation to TBA’s withdrawal from hosting of the WWC in 2009 underscores the degree of interest, and concern, that bowlers across Australia feel regarding the sport’s national governing body, and its survival – this is surely a positive and encouraging sign.

Having attended, and been involved with the media and communication aspects of numerous Zone, Commonwealth and World championships, I can confirm that the role and responsibilities of hosting these events is extremely large, and very costly. However, there should be no surprise to a bidding country when the criteria, and budget estimates are readily available from the international organisations that call for bids from eligible federations.

As Secretary-General of the Commonwealth Tenpin Bowling Federation, an honorary role I’ve held since its inception in 2002, I would like to correct the impression that’s been made previously on this site that the staging of the Commonwealth Championships automatically means a loss to the host federation.

As Peter Coburn has stated earlier, the staging of any major event can be revenue neutral, or produce a profit, depending on adherence to its business plan and budgets, and funding sourced from sponsors and other revenue-producing activities related to the event.

I am not privy to the budget or actual expenditure by TBA in Melbourne when the event was held in 2006, but based on the formal bid presented by (then) TBA Chair Peter Coburn, CEO Alex Popov and centre proprietor Kevin Brawn who all travelled to the previous event in Cyprus in February 2005 to lodge TBA’s formal bid, the CTBF Congress accepted the assertions by the CEO that Australia had the financial and operational resources not just to host the 2006 Championship, but also to be actively involved in the lobbying process for the sport’s inclusion in the Commonwealth Games in 2010.

Here is an excerpt from the official Minutes of the Congress meeting in Cyprus on 16 February, 2005:-

“Selection of Host Federation/Rotating Vice-President:

Julian summarised the current situation with the 2010 Commonwealth Games that will be held in Delhi and recommended that the CTBF participate actively with India in the lobbying process. He also explained the opportunity for our sport to benefit from funding and training opportunities if we can resume our place as a Commonwealth Games sport.

(India delegates arrived at 7.35 pm)

Alex Popov from Australia overviewed the proposal for Australia to host the 2006 Commonwealth Tenpin Championships – discussion ensued with delegates re possible dates, etc.

Alex Popov agreed that a sub-committee needed to be formed with regard to the 2010 Commonwealth Games and advised that it will definitely be a joint venture with the CTBF Executive Committee, not just Australia. Australia should lead this sub-committee, as it had the necessary funding and resources to do this, plus, it was naturally in the right geographic region.

Thereafter, Australia was unanimously confirmed as the venue for the next Commonwealth Tenpin Bowling Championships and Alex Popov advised that TBA Chairperson, Peter Coburn will take on the role as Roving Vice-President of the CTBF.

Julian Pace-Bonello suggested the possibility of chartering or amalgamating travel to Australia (from, say, London) for a large number of participating countries to be able to take advantage of possible fare benefits, etc.”

I would also like to clarify the misunderstanding referred to in a previous post that “from all reports TBA ran the Commonwealth Championships with a $50K lose… and this was tabled and minuted at the CTBC Congress…”

Again, quoting from the Minutes of the Congress meeting held in Melbourne on 7 July, 2006 here is the official record :-

“10. Selection of Host Federation/Rotating Vice-President:

Julian advised that no formal bid had been received to host the 2008 CTBC and discussion ensued regarding possible venues. Kevin Brawn from Australia mentioned an expression of interest that had been made from South Africa, where there is an 18-lane Centre that could be suitable and Monique Leary from The Bahamas advised that while there is only one 24 lane Centre at present, there are 2 more Centres coming online in the next 18 months on Nassau that may enable their Federation to host a Championship in future. This was a popular suggestion with delegates.

Julian Pace-Bonello explained that following deliberations by the EC, it had been agreed that it would be desirable for the next Championship to revert to Europe, in anticipation that the 2010 Championship may be able to be held in India, subject to the stage of development of this Federation. Further negotiations will be held with potential hosts in this region, including Gibraltar where a new Centre will also soon open.”

I can confirm that there was no tabling of any document or statement to the effect that a $50,000 loss would be involved in the Championships which, at the time of the Congress meeting, were still underway. As these Minutes verify, there were indeed several expressions of interest to host the following event and further negotiations with member Federations resulted in the tiny Federation of Northern Ireland launching what has become a successful bid to host the 2008 Championship.

Having worked closely with the NITBF bid committee, I can assure you they were very careful to ensure they had the necessary funding and partnerships in place before submitting their bid, and their success in attracting corporate support was considered fully by the NITBF Board before authorising the bid and signing the hosting agreement.

This bid process is a very valuable guide and clear way for any potential Championship host to assess its viability and capability of fulfilling the commitments involved in staging a Championship.

Finally, it is important to note that the Minutes of all Congress meetings are circulated to each member Federation following the conclusion of the tournament for the information of member Federations. The normal practice is that a report, specifically referring to issues affecting a national Federation is also prepared by any representative who has attended a Congress meeting on behalf of a Federation but I am unaware whether this practice was observed in recent years.

As many people have noted already, it appears that on assessing the available data Gillian Thompson-Rogers has moved swiftly to minimise the financial risk to TBA and inconvenience to potential participants by giving sufficient notice to enable an alternate Federation to take on the role for 2009. There are precedents for this occurrence and TBA’s standing in the global community will, I believe, be respected for these reasons.

Lynne Clay
Secretary-General
Commonwealth Tenpin Bowling Federation

Back
Top Bottom