Anyone know AMF Macarthur - Sydney ?

G

grahamh

Hi all.
I am a blind bowler in the UK and MAY be coming to Oz to play in the International Blind Sports Tenpin world championships in November.
It is taking place at AMF Macarther, Campbelltown. Sydney and I was just wondering if anyone here knows the lanes ?
Regards
Graham

Hi Graham
Welcome to TotalBowling
I joined this site as result of similar search for info for a bowling event in Adelaide earlier this year.
The members are brilliant and will answer all your questions, they will even suggest were to stay and eat.
Ask the question and you will receive the answer.

How blind are you? :confused:

Hi Graham
AMF Macathur is a 24 Synthetic Lane state of the art centre.It is situated in Macathur Square Shopping Centre,with access to fine restaurants and public transport.Access to the bowl is available via lifts and escalators.You could also log onto www.amfbowling.com.au Hope to see you here cheers Geoff

and no steps at all in the centre (unless you want to walk down to the back of the lanes)

Enf...

<quote>AMF Macathur is a 24 Synthetic Lane state of the art centre</quote>
Thanks for that Geoff. That was basically what I wanted to know. I was a bit pussled because the IBSA rules say it has to be a 24 lane house but the listing on this site says its 16......

I dont know why it should but seeing 16 lane made me think it might be quite an old house.... which made me think it might be wooden lanes.... dont know why, they are just thoughts that popped into my head :)

Do they tend to oil lightly, or heavily ? ( dont care which but it might affect which balls I bring if we are limited.

And to answer Finspin's question..... I am not totally blind, although many of the bowlers will be. I can still see the pins but they are somewhat blurred. If you know about the system, I am a B3

Many thanks all of you, nice to see so many answers.

regards
Grahamh

Usually light to medium.Buffed Back End.A Plastic Ball could be handy.Ball choice depends whether you bowl down the line or across the lane.
cheers
Geoff

Thanks for that Geoff.

I have always used a plastic ball straight down the middle but for the last few weeks I have been trying a Storm Tropical down the five board and I think I will use that for our summer league which starts next week. If I get on all right with that I was thinking of trying the Storm T Road which rolls longer and hooks sharper which might be better on longer oil....... I cannot see the dots and arrows unless I stand still and concentrate, using the edge of the lane seems to allow me to look at the gutter and gives me a focal point and it has increased my average by over 20 pins in just the few games I have played that way.

Have to see how it goes I guess.

regards
Graham

Ah... I thought it might be something like that.

Hopefully I will be there in November and see it for myself, hope to meet some of you there !!!

Hi Graham,

Welcome to the site! :welcome:

I think you will really like bowling at MacArthur. The centre is less than 12 months old and I believe it to be possibly the newest AMF centre in the country. If it helps, my best mate is also B3 blind just like you and he bowls in a disabilities league at MacArthur every Saturday. He will tell you that MacArthur is his favourite centre and he bowls there to good success. He only started bowling with me in early 2006, after having lost most of his vision less than 6 months earlier. There is a strong chance he will compete in the World Championships you speak of. I'm sure it is a goal of his, having competed successfully in his first two tournaments.

I'm sure my friend will be more than happy to answer any further questions you may have about MacArthur or bowling in general such as equipment selection. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you would like details on how to contact him.

Yours In Bowling,

Rob :thmbup:

I cannot get over the level of response to this simple question. Thank you all.

I said in my first post that I MAY be coming to the world championships. There is a gap in the team UK squad coz someone dropped out. Three of us were asked if we were interested. One, ( a great bowler who plays in the same team as I do ) didnt feel fit enough to go so the choise is down to two. The team manager is waiting to see the results of new sight tests and will then deside who to select.

I will let you know how it goes. Its an agonising wait :)

regards
Graham

You're most welcome Graham. I really hope you get selected. You must be excited about finding out. I hope you get good news.

I hope to see you compete at MacArthur. I will no doubt attend the event as a spectator if my friend competes. I'll be the maniac wearing an Arsenal shirt! :rofl:

Arsenal ? Who's that ? :)

I feel for your friend. If I get selected I will be travelling half way round the world. If he gets selected he will be playing in his home centre. Knowing my luck I will miss out this year and get selected next year...... and I bet it will be held in Oxford :) :) :)

Back
Top Bottom