Orange Sports Star attracts international fans….

Jase

Admin
Staff member
Orange Sports Star attracts international fans….
“I have only come here to see Belmo bowl”

Orange, New South Wales: For the third time since 2002, Jason Belmonte has been named as SPORTS PERSON OF THE YEAR by the City of Orange. The announcement of the Award coincided with the athlete’s 23rd Birthday, celebrated last week on the other side of the earth while competing in the 9th World Youth Tenpin Bowling Championships in Berlin.

The ‘Outstanding Achievements in Sport’ Perpetual Trophy is a valued addition to Belmonte’s impressive trophy collection – born and educated in Orange, Jason Belmonte was inducted last year into the Orange Sporting Hall of Fame.

Belmonte returned from Germany yesterday with another World Championship Gold medal, bringing his tally to 7 Gold, 4 Silver and 3 Bronze medals won while representing Australia at Asian Zone, Commonwealth and World Championships in his chosen sport.

Described by a UK television commentator as “the hottest sports person to come out of Oz since Ian (‘Speedo’) Thorpe”, Belmonte has notched up a win, two seconds and a third placing in international Open tournaments in Kuwait, Istanbul, Denmark and Bahrain in the past four months, recently establishing a historic lead in the sport’s prestigious European Zone rankings.

Selection in the Australian team for the forthcoming Men’s (Adult) World Championships in Korea will soon see Belmonte packing his bags again but in the meantime he’ll be enjoying the cooler climate of Orange after unprecedented heatwave conditions in Europe that caused logistical hurdles with lane conditions at the World Championships.

Undeterred, a couple of Irish lads travelled to Germany for the World Youth Championship wearing T-shirts that read, “I have only come here to see Belmo bowl”.

I am sure we will see these shirt's in the Grandstands before to long here in Australia...;)

Courtesy of Lynne Clay

Back
Top Bottom