What is AMF doing to the game?

Looks like a great invention for social houses. If you care about the integrity of the sport of bowling or the rules that go with it, then this setup isn't an option.

I fully understand that the purists will rebel against this direction, however they have to understand that the operator of the venue is there to make money, otherwise why do it? ...

You are right. Why play any sport, the purists only get in the way of making money!?

Ardent Leisure seem very happy to rake in the coin by charging high prices for everything and offering somewhat stingy "specials" and are always woefully understaffed but won't spend a cent on upkeep of their AMF Bowling Centres.
Exactly like their pathetic lack of maintenance at Dream World under their ownership which resulted in a tragic accident and the loss of four people which is, ironically, one of the reasons why they've been through four CEO's in a year, taken a massive financial hit and been closing centres left, right and centre and have now sold AMF Bowling to some new company.
Hopefully when the new owners take over very soon they'll put some much needed funds into basic maintenance and proper upgrades.
I know that the bowlers in my home centre are becoming very disgruntled at the way they are being treated by AMF and with the constant price-hikes and constant breakdowns, computer scoring failing, patchy lane conditions, lack of working air conditioning etc it's bleeding obvious that nothing's been spent on the place.
Recently we lost one of Australia's oldest leagues after 54 years due to lack of interest.
On their facebook page they're too busy talking about how many ice creams and Chupa Chups they sell and have no idea about bowling. Speaks for itself.
The poor old staff are copping it from angry bowlers but are being given no help from the owners at all.

If bowling was an Olympic sport would this be different?
I understand after the Souel Olympics, where bowling was included as an exhibition sport. It had been accepted to continue as an Olympic sport.
However, the appropriate paperwork from competing nations had to be signed off.
One of those nations was Australia.
To my knowledge whomever had that responsibility failed to do so.
As a result bowling was not included and "the rest is history".
In addition "Ardent Leisure", the TBA, QUBICAAMF, bowling centre proprieters', bowling equipment manufacturers, bowlers and so forth are all "Custodians" of the sport.
The great sports remember their history whilst embracing development.
I believe the "Custodians" need to work on marketing and customer focus rather than compromising its values in the pursuit of a quick buck.
Many sports which have attempted to cut corners only find themselves on a downward spiral to thier demise.
Bowling in the USA seems to be on the resurgence after some less than popular times.
However, I would not think this was on the back of "string pins" and cutting corners.
Bowling seems to be growing quite well across the globe.
Australia currently has the best bowler in the world. Breaking records which have stood for years and whose records will probably stand for years to come.
Might be the first Australian to be included in the pba hall of fame, (not sure about this one), yet receives very little exposure in Australia.
I could go on.
Already been on my "soapbox" too long.
Look forward to comments.
Cheers.

I have no idea where some of you people get this rubbish from. In 1988 in S E O U L..bowling was a Demonstration sport not an Exhibition sport...there was a sizable difference between the two protocols. This was a one time only opportunity - there was NO - let me repeat so it sinks in...NO determination for a continuance in any future IOC event in any capacity. There was no "paper work" to be signed - after 1988 the global bowling community became a united force to lobby the IOC and it's various entities for bowling's inclusion as a full medal sport. The primary target being inclusion in Sydney 2000. Despite significant efforts and a sizable expenditure - over US$12million by Brunsick Corp alone - the lobbying did not succeed. Others are now doing whatever they can to focus on Los Angeles for the sports inclusion - may they have better luck than we did 20 years ago - oh, and more money - because above and beyond everything else THAT is the key!

My mistake Steve,
Excuse my ignorance on the IOC protocol difference between "exhibition" and "demonstration".
I was working off information which I had heard from what I thought to be a reliable source and very well connected at the national and international level.
Thank you for the clarification.
I will certainly have to reprimand my "source" and thier "fake news"!
I sometimes get a bit frustrated with the apathy and politics in and around the sport of bowling and the effect it has on the sport.
When I heard this about the Olympics. I thought it was another example of that.
Didn't mean to offend you or anyone else.
I hope that the new venture is successful and bowling is soon included as an Olympic sport.
I would certainly be interested in your thoughts and comments on any of the other points I made.
Cheers.

I make it a habit to almost never communicate to anyone who uses only a pseudonym - however in this instance let me just say that you would find it impossible to offend me but there are many good people, some now dead, all elderly, who did extraordinary work and gave enormously to bowling's Olympic inclusion efforts without success. These people don't need to have their names or reputations sullied by ignorance or - as you correctly call it "fake news".

I have been in this sport, business, industry for 55 years - as a result my opinions are now totally irrelevant - those of a younger generation are critical.

Good luck to you.

Surprised it hasn't got a mention here but the mail is that AMF Bowling (the name) will be completely gone from Australia as of 1st May 2018 after more than fifty years.
Ardent Leisure's recent sale of AMF Bowling to Timezone and Timezone's refusal to pay for the rights to continue use of the AMF brand name will see all former AMF centres be renamed Bowl Zone in the coming weeks.

All AMF insignias and branding within the centres on any fixture (ball returns, masking units, house balls with AMF on them, signs, uniforms etc) are to be replaced with Bowl Zone signage effective immediately.

Wonder what the outcome of this may be?
More of the same - a-la charge extortionate prices and put little into facilities and further alienate the competition bowler - or will we see a genuine improvement?

Your thoughts?

Surprised it hasn't got a mention here but the mail is that AMF Bowling (the name) will be completely gone from Australia as of 1st May 2018 after more than fifty years.
Ardent Leisure's recent sale of AMF Bowling to Timezone and Timezone's refusal to pay for the rights to continue use of the AMF brand name will see all former AMF centres be renamed Bowl Zone in the coming weeks.

All AMF insignias and branding within the centres on any fixture (ball returns, masking units, house balls with AMF on them, signs, uniforms etc) are to be replaced with Bowl Zone signage effective immediately.

Wonder what the outcome of this may be?
More of the same - a-la charge extortionate prices and put little into facilities and further alienate the competition bowler - or will we see a genuine improvement?

Your thoughts?
Timezone will butcher the sport just like ardent leisure and then sell the business for less than what they paid when they realize they can't run a bowling operation

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

... when they realize they can't run a bowling operation
I was under the impression that the group who are taking over from Ardent ran bowling centres in the US. Perhaps I have the wrong impression?

I was under the impression that the group who are taking over from Ardent ran bowling centres in the US. Perhaps I have the wrong impression?
Look I certainly hope they do know what there doing but do the care about league bowlers?

AJD - Ardent Leisure own the sizable US chain Main Event - they own/operate US based centres not Time Zone. Time Zone has significant wins on the board in their development over decades - substantial growth in Australia and overseas has been the core of their success. It seems illogical that they have acquired the business [one owning substantial cash flow] to drive it into the ground.

We have just made a video featuring our string pinsetters:
Please check it out and it will show you exactly how it works and how simple and uncomplicated the machine is.
I am not saying that all centers should change over to this system, but if the venue is struggling to keep afloat, they should consider the change over. I converted the Noosa Tenpin center from the old Brunswick machines over to strings and the owner has not looked back. He told us that he repaid his outlay within 18 months. It was a matter of trying this changeover or closing the center down.
I fully understand that the purists will rebel against this direction, however they have to understand that the operator of the venue is there to make money, otherwise why do it? In the last 18 month's or so, the cost of power has increased considerably, good mechanics are nearly impossible to get and the machines getting older and breakdowns more frequent. The other important issue in the near future will be the requirements of safety cages around free-fall pinsetters.
If the centers I bowl league and tournaments in go to string ill give bowling away so will alot of others

Back
Top Bottom