A very interesting article for the "curious" among

R

Redfox

A most interesting article has been posted that may be of interest to some of the more "passionate bowlers" amongst you....so please view it on my site under SOUTHERN NEWS....

http://home.iprimus.com.au/redfox13/

In my view it certainly deserves to be read and makes one think.... :? :?: :?: :?

Who is at Fault?

As an ATBSO WA member I would like to respond to Bill Thorpes article.

I attended the ATBSO National Body AGM last year and listened to the proposals put forward for both of the 2003 Nationals. A vote was taken and unfortunately Townsville missed out, so the Nationals would be split for this one year.

I remember the following was tabled to consider for voting delegates:

TBA presentation supporting Townsville

Both centre managers supporting the TBA proposal with some financial insentives.

Queensland ATBSO membership is 99% Brisbane based.

Queensland ATBSO not willing to hold the challenge outside Brisbane.

What Kedron Bowl had to offer as a venue.

The Rugby World Cup would have an impact on the availability of accommodation.

The extra cost of travel etc to a non-capital city destination.

Moving the dates of both nationals to September or November to avoid clashing with the Rugby World Cup.

The unwillingness of TBA to officially recognise ATBSO as the body representing over 45's

Negative comments about the bowling venue ATBSO was being offered.

Members dissatification with TBA policies.

There were many more for and against that I cannot remember at this time.

As far as I am concerned at the time the ATBSO acted in the best interests of its membership regarding the 2003 venue for the ATBSO Nationals and to date still support that decision as correct.

A "very interesting article for the curious"...

This is my personal opinion and is NOT to be construed as representative of ATBSO Queensland.

I was not a delegate at the AGM last year, however I was an observer during the segment of the meeting which discussed the ATBSO Nationals.

Having been involved for the last 6 months in organising the nationals this year, I have to say I had no idea of the amount of work that would be involved for our committee in organising this tournament. There is a lot more to organising a tournament than entering a few names into a computer. We have no members in Townsville and no contacts. I remain convinced we made the right decision.

If it was the wrong decision, then why is our post box over flowing with entries, why am I sitting up until the wee small hours trying to fit everbody in - you would think people would pass us by on the way to the Nationals in Townsville if that is where they want to be!!

I note the author of the "very intersting article" has chosen to enter the ATBSO nationals. I expect he freely made that decision and it was his own choice. I can also make choices, shall I go to Townsville or not? Shall I help organise this tournament or should I go and see my new grandchild. Should I go to work today or should I stay home and sort out the tournament. We do have freedom of choice here dont we.

I think we should hold our ATBSO tournament at the same time and the same city as the TBA Nationals, for the sake of the bowlers. However if TBA decide to hold the next Queensland Nationals in McKay, Cairns, Townsville or anywhere north of Gympie we will go through this whole uproar once again, and ATBSO Queensland will cop the flak.

I believe the National Championships are going to be rotated along the East Coast for the next 3 years, and ATBSO are going to be asked to follow suit. I want to know what our members in WA, SA and NT think about that. Were they asked for their opinion either as ATBSO members or TBA members, (which we are all expected to be).

Seeing as Queensland has obviously become the "fly in the ointment" I vote we should never again allowed to run a tournament in our state unless we agree to "tow the party line".

Once again, let me say this is my personal input.

Good luck to all the bowlers, I hope you have a wonderful time in Brisbane and look forward to meeting you all.

Josie

Full Support

Lefty, you are 100% right about how much it takes to organise these events, most bowlers would not have a clue about the hours that committee people put in to make the event a success.

As i said in my earlier post I was at the meeting and was a voting delegate too.

I listened to all the presenters for and against and then I voted against going to Townsville for various reasons which included:

Queensland ATBSO had no member base in North Queensland and therefore the logistics for them would be a nightmare (I put myself in their shoes)

The extra financial burden on WA to travel to Townsville (estimated at being another $600 per bowler)

The uncertainty of suitable accommodation being available to house the WA 30+ bowlers for 10 to 12 days (a few phone calls before the AGM to Townsville gave me a good insight)

Only a minority (10%) of our members currently bowl TBA Nationals
(this year I only know of 2 (6%) that will be going to Townsville)

On a positive note it is nice to see that next years TBAL venue is again in a Capital City.

Question - why is there not a North Qld branch of the ATBSO? - or at least some NQ membership of the Queensland branch? Is it a lack of interest on the part of the SE corner regarding attracting member from the north, or what? We certainly have our share of, ah, 'experienced' bowlers up here, and with NQ now a separate entity vis-a-vis Rachuig and Nationals, the problem will crop up again in the future. Might be worth investigating possibly setting up a NQ branch for next time.

And next time the Rugby WC won't be on - clashing Nationals with that was pretty dumb. Normally, accomodation is no problem here - and there is no way it should be $600 extra to fly to Townsville instead of Brissy.

Cheers,

Northern branch of ATBSQ?

Fantastic Robbie, I nominate you for secretary, I shall send all the information you need and I am sure you will be inundated with applications to join the Northern Branch. Call a meeting and see how many interested people turn up. Of course ATBSO Qld have attempted in the past to get it going, but as we have only one member north of Gympie it didnt work at that time. Obviously things have changed now and there are definitely people out there who want to join up, right?

Good on you mate! Your kind offer was just what we were waiting for. See you in Townsville at the Nationals.

Your Right

Robbie

You are right, it was dumb of TBA to hold the nationals in Townsville the same year as the WRC and at the same time!

They had plenty of time to change the venue especially after ATBSO decided not to go there

The extra cost of $600 included not only airfaires (extra $400) but accommodation (extra $150) and vehicle rental (extra $50)

As for country ATBSO members, here in WA we have a town 80klm south of Perth, it's on our tournament circuit, we only have 4 members that live there, there is another town 200klm south of Perth it's on our tournament circuit too, we only have 3 members that live there

If we have trouble recruiting members this close to Perth then Queensland has no show recruiting bowlers north of about Caboolture

In my opinion it would be smarter to try and get a North Queensland division up and running based in Townsville, they could then join in all the fun

May I suggest that you get your bowlers together up there and make representation to have a North Queensland ATBSO included into the National Body

If you are not a member of Queensland ATBSO then join now and you can put a motion to the AGM regarding the above

If successful you could then offer to hold the ATBSO challenge in Townsville in say a couple of years from now and I am sure that we would all love to go there and experience your beautiful city

All National events should be held in country areas more regualrly than they are now.
We have to pay heaps every time to bowl when we live in the Far North. People in the bigger cities like Melbourne, Sydney etc only pay once in a blue moon.
If this doesn't happen then we will always be considered the poor relatives. Not everyone can get a sponsor to pay like some of the better bowlers around but we still deserve the chance to participate in the major events.
And everyone is right....TBA's timing sucks this year !!

Tournament Venues

BK

Bowling is no different to any other sport, you have to hold the majors in the capital cities or towns close by, it makes economic sense and I accept that

I too lived in a country town for 5 years and had to travel to the big smoke for tournaments, it was my choice to do so

We in WA travel every year to the east to compete, its a fact of life for us, accepted by us because we like to live over here

Sandor

I too live in the country through my own choice.

But I fail to see where the " economic sense " part applies.
I bet accomodation in Cairns, Townsville and places of similar ilk is a lot cheaper than Brisbane, Sydney etc.

Do you think that not holding the Nationals in Brisbane would affect the local economy that much ? They wouldn't even notice the absence of 200-300 bowlers for a week whereas the economic input into a larger regional city would be of far greater impact.

Not to mention the promotional value of holding a major event like this to the sport itself.

It really doesn't matter all that much what you and I think though....those that run the sport won't change things will they?

Thanks for the nomination Lefty, but since I am still a dozen or so years away from oldfogeyhood, it is a bit premature. Still, if you want to send up the info on starting up an NQ branch, I'll be happy to talk to some of the 'target age group' and see if there is any interest. (email me privately for the address, or send it via Currajong bowl). And, if there really is an interest on the part of the ATBSO generally in expanding into NQ, perhaps a meeting could be arranged during the nationals to guage the level of interest of the locals. Evidently you will be up here for the Nats anyway.

Sorry Sandor, unless you have a junior membership I'll have to pass for now. :)

I assume that holding the nats in NQ will be a regular thing now that there is a separate NQ division. However, holding it in summer is not bright either - it is a bit warmish in October.

Cheers,

I BEG TO DIFFER

sorry BK but you are wrong on costs

Perth to Brisbane cost us $550 return for the ATBSO
Perth to Townsville, no direct flight $1100
Car rental $20/day, my recent visit to Cairns $50/day
Holiday units Brisbane $130/night sleeping 4-5, Townsville all booked up only motels available at $110 sleeping 2

plus there are more bowlers in the cities to attract to the sporting events so why hold it in the country

i go through the above every year and come up with the similar figures all the time for country destinations

see you in brisbane

Sandor,
Again, those prices are NOT typical, and are caused purely by the timing of the nats with RWC. Flights are normally available for $99 each way Brissy/Tville if you book ahead, and even at this stage I can fly to Brissy return this weekend for under $250.
I can understand the ATBSO decision not to run here this year, especially without a member base to provide support in the region. However, that does not change the fact that there is a one-off reason for the flight and accomodation costs and problems which will not occur if/when the Nats are here again.

Cheers,

Back
Top Bottom