2009 Melbourne Cup planned for June

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
Sat 06 Jun Mon 08 Jun Epping VIC Melbourne Cup

Direct from the TBA site, does anyone know if this is going to be on. Seems a little strange after last years debacle, I hope it gets off the ground and some sort of support.

I'm guessing EPPING is not an AMF centre and part of the 'Altona, Greensborough, etc group...

Altona isn't Oztenpin anymore, it is simply Altona Tenpin Bowl. Epping is the newest built Oztenpin centre.

Melbourne Cup will run this year with a completely different organisational committee, A brand new format, and a better prizefund. Combine that with the event being ran in one of the most state of the art centres in the country, and it should be a great event.

i use to bowl at altona and i think its not very well situated . will b looking forward to the bowl opening at watergardens if it does???

I would hope the entry form is released very soon, a bit of forward notice and planning will ensure its success. We've all learnt from previous tournaments,

Pre
Planning
Prevents
Pi$$
Poor
Performance

:)

"Prior" George..it's PRIOR Planning etc, etc.....is it a lefty deal mate this getting things wrong.....often? I have had a standing bet with Dave Davis on the outcome of the Super Bowl for about the past twenty five years - and I guess he's cashed twice - so at least you're in pretty good company.

On serious note - is the MTC now "owned" by any one oganisation or group - I'm a little out of touch these days and having had a bit to do with one or two of these things in a previous life I just wanted to know purely out of interest sake...perhaps Tonx you can give me a heads up when you have a little time - if that's OK?

Thx in advance ,

Steve

i use to bowl at altona and i think its not very well situated . will b looking forward to the bowl opening at watergardens if it does???

From what I've heard (not sure of the accuracy), Watergardens bowl has been put on hold indefinitely and the Sunshine bowl is going to remain operational for another 3 years or close to it.

"Prior" George..it's PRIOR Planning etc, etc.....is it a lefty deal mate this getting things wrong.....often? I have had a standing bet with Dave Davis on the outcome of the Super Bowl for about the past twenty five years - and I guess he's cashed twice - so at least you're in pretty good company.

On serious note - is the MTC now "owned" by any one oganisation or group - I'm a little out of touch these days and having had a bit to do with one or two of these things in a previous life I just wanted to know purely out of interest sake...perhaps Tonx you can give me a heads up when you have a little time - if that's OK?

Thx in advance ,

Steve

Hi Steve,

As far as I am aware, the MTC isn't owned by anyone. The Oztenpin group have seen that no other centres have offered to put up a Melbourne Cup this year, so they saw this as a great opportunity to help keep a once great event alive.

As far as I can remember, the event was ran in independant centres and the Oztenpin Group putting their hand up to run the event keeps that tradition alive. Epping is their showcase centre, and has a great reputation with supporting the Victorian Sports Series events every year. The centre is anvilane pro with gsx pinsetters, a very open layout great for spectator viewing area and staff who know how to run tournaments efficiently and effectively, not to mention a great proshop ;)

When the bowlers come, they will enjoy the centre and the tournament.

With some luck this tournament may become a success again. After last years debacle, it will remain to be seen how that affects things this year around.

Thankfully as stated, different people are running it and the bowlers hopefully won't be ripped off this time around.

Thought it was strange last year when there were basically more interstate bowlers than locals.

Hopefully an entry form comes out within the month and will allow some time for bowlers to plan a trip HINT HINT.

Cheers
Mick

Tonx thx for the update appreciate it. From my experience if Zikman's involved it will be a great event....and I understand the Epping Centre is 5 star all the way - sounds like it's covered..break a leg with entries.

Thx again

Steve

Hi Steve,

As far as I am aware, the MTC isn't owned by anyone. The Oztenpin group have seen that no other centres have offered to put up a Melbourne Cup this year, so they saw this as a great opportunity to help keep a once great event alive.

Just be careful what you call it as Melbourne Tenpin Cup was a registered name owned by Ed Fleming Lanes. Even though they have ceased trading, the name might still be registered. hence the reason i beleive that last years event was the Melbourne International Cup or something like that.

As far as I can remember, the event was ran in independant centres and the Oztenpin Group putting their hand up to run the event keeps that tradition alive.

Tonx

Thought I might comment on this part of your post as I remember bowling in the Melbourne Tenpin Cup at Moorabbin in the late 80's and remember Dave Davis won it at Ringwood in 83 so until Mooroolbark opened it was held in AMF centres I believe.

Steve, George, Michael and all other members

The MTC being taken up by Epping will save a tournament that deserves to be on the ranked calendar and regain the prestige that should be associated with this title.

Epping provides their bowlers with a first class experience no matter what the skill level they possess. I would urge all to pencil this one in on their must attend list and not let one bad experience stifle the resurrection of this event.

No matter what happened at Altona last year this is still the title outside of the SPC and AO that any genuine bowler wants to be able to list on their CV.

All things going well work wise I will definately not miss this one.

Tonx

Thought I might comment on this part of your post as I remember bowling in the Melbourne Tenpin Cup at Moorabbin in the late 80's and remember Dave Davis won it at Ringwood in 83 so until Mooroolbark opened it was held in AMF centres I believe.

on this i am pretty sure ed fleming started the melbourne cup at ringwood before ringwood was bought by amf?i am sure someone like adrian might be able to shed some light on this?

Ed Fleming and Bob Hinton started the Melbourne Cup at Ringwoord Lanes in 1973 when Ed and Charles Zannon owned that centre. Interestingly the winner was Steve Mackie who then went on to develop the Sydney Cup [one amongst many tournaments Steve promoted and ran - now there is someone we owe a great deal to Steve Mackie - as well as Ed, Bob and Charles] Ed and Charles sold Ringwood to OBC who ultimately sold on to AMF. The ATBA [later to be the VCBA] took on the running of the MTC not long after the first event. My involvement with the tournament started in 1978 and ended about 1985 I think so I don't have any knowledge of what happend after that - other than to understand it went to Morrabbin [I have no idea when that happened] then on to Moorolbark and - well I have no clue since then Mac.

As to U.S players who bowled the MTC - they were Glenn Allison, Steve Neff, Dave Davis, Mike McGrath, Barry Asher - and Donna Adamek.

Oh - and for some of the years I was involved we charged entry fees to watch [a Richard Froebel concept to try it - and what a success] and - frankly we packed the place - sometimes having a line outside waiting to get in when seats became available.

Ahh -for the "good old days".

Hey Jonsey,
I'm surprised you could remember that far back. Wasn't the scotch great. It was good memories back then with all the Yanks coming out.Fond memories of Donna,what a great bowler she was.She beat all the best Aussie guys.I think she beat Allsopp then Bradford,then knocked me off in the final.I mean she beat me.As you said Jones they were great days of bowling.Bring back Steve Mackie.
Cheers Lovey

It should be noted that the MTC is registered to another party and has been for several years. And correct me if I am wrong but did not Oz Bowl originally take on the tournament before leasing Altona and leaving the tournament in the hands of Inexperience people to run it. Maybe this event should be run by the bowlers for the bowlers.

And Lovely talking about Joney having a good memory, surprised you remembered getting beaten by a Female.(must admit she was good to watch):cool:

The "Melbourne Tenpin Cup" is a registered name. With the end of Ed Fleming Lanes the tournament moved on while the name seems to have been packed up with the machines and moved elsewhere.

It is now the Melbourne International Tenpin Cup and this year is being run by VicTenpins together with Oz Tenpin Epping. Exact format/costs etc shouldn't be too far away.

Yes i remember that Melbourne Tenpin Cup well the participants got a pass so they could come and go and not get mixed up with paying spectators.That was one of my first major tourny"s i competed in heady days indeed alot has changed over 15 to 20 years.

Hey Joe,didn't mind running 2nd to her.Yes she was a female.By the way I don't think I remember playing you in the finals.Did you bowl,if you did I beat you as well.
Cheers Lovey

I can remember paying to watch the Melb Cup at Ringwood.

It was run like a tournament should be.... They even turned the amusement machines off so they didn't distract the bowlers. Like to AMF do that!!

Back
Top Bottom