X Games Bowling Mini T'ment @ Tenpin City 9th March

Good post Jayboy.

Jay seemed to put a lot of pressure on himself. Presuming the cameras didn't help Brenton?

But as Pete said it's about introducing people to the sport in a new way then converting them to the traditional form unless of course XGB takes over the world.

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.
I'm happy with that criticism,
there was some sub standard audio and that was not due to Tenpin Bowling Show, was entirely my fault.
The video was meant to represent a local match, when we cover real events, content will be vastly different.
On the App, scoring is always visible, it's no problem to see where the match is at. (We'll make it always visible on future video's, thanks)
Happy you think you might like to play a match. Entries are open for 9th March, why not try it out ?

At this stage, I can't confirm my availability for the 9th March. As soon as I find out if I'm available on the 9th, I'll likely give it a go

I'm in Ipswich mate, but Batesy from Caboolture has flagged that he would like to host one and that centre is part of the Qld Wide Bay Tour so I will be playing that for sure.

By the way Brentons commentary is brilliant.

We set up the contest and filmed what we got. If you compare to traditional scoring, please look at how both bowlers were getting into the XGB contest, then realize traditional scoring was something like (150 v 170), then (170 v 190) and think if they would have been as involved all the way through.

We have been through this before. It all depends Pete. If it's 170v190 in the 9th and I'm 170 on a double then I'm pretty engaged.

I think people have to expose themselves to this format and make and decision based on their own feelings about it. Until then I will just comment on what I can see.

I like Playing Tennis but can't stand watching it for too long, same as field hockey but I see this XGB as the 20/twenty of bowling, the shorter the game, the better chance of the lowers average bowlers beating higher average bowlers.

The other end of the scale is the frame keeps getting tied & you bowl for 30mins for one point! (that's extremely exaggerated, but it could happen)...

Maybe not the 1 point but 2 out of every 5 could be tied for a few frames each. 2 x 200+ avg bowlers could go strike for strike or 9 for 9 for over 20 mins.

Maybe not the 1 point but 2 out of every 5 could be tied for a few frames each. 2 x 200+ avg bowlers could go strike for strike or 9 for 9 for over 20 mins.

2 bowlers going head to head, shot for shot, we call it a "rally" and it's good to watch, as pressure on each bowler increases exponentially every ball.
Not sure if you are saying these rally's are a bad feature, but every match I've watched, I've enjoyed these when they happen.
As a feature match on TV, I think this would add to the spectators enjoyment and increase their empathy towards the skills of the athlete. A longer hard fought battle between two equal competitors is my personal preference, regardless of what sport it is I'm watching OR playing.
When there is no real personal satisfaction due to winning too easily or alternately being beaten easily, playing has little to no value for me.

Pete, im not saying its good or bad, merely discussing the format.

How many points will I get if I throw 7 strikes and my opposition goes 6 strikes then 9, 1 point?

GraftonGez said...
I like Playing Tennis but can't stand watching it for too long, same as field hockey but I see this XGB as the 20/twenty of bowling, the shorter the game, the better chance of the lowers average bowlers beating higher average bowlers.

Maybe for one game but not the match, as Peter said, a "rally" plays into the hands of the better bowler in my opinion.

Pete, im not saying its good or bad, merely discussing the format.

How many points will I get if I throw 7 strikes and my opposition goes 6 strikes then 9, 1 point?
I'm happy someone is willing to talk about it. Thank You.

Yep 1 point.... 1 bloody great point that would be more satisfying than 7 points in a row against an easybeat.
XGB is about the contest and far far less about the score. Thats why people are liking it when they try it and because the difference between the two scoring methods is a psychological shift, that's what is hard to convey until bowlers actually try it.
The traditional bowling game is about the score and hardly anything about the contest. In other "real" sports, its about winning and how you won and how tough the battle was. Whether your footy team won by 20 points or only 2 last week/month does not make it memorable, its the contest between equal foe's which makes sport, sport. In fact I'd suggest the close result was probably considered a better and more memorable match for both teams.
I know bowling has been primarily about the score for over 100yrs, so my approach is going to take a big effort to have bowlers try something different. I've been doing it 2 bowlers at a time at every demo match we have played.
I'm keen enough have people try XGB to say this.
Any bowler who starts in my event on 9th March and after their first match, does not want to continue bowling, I'll refund them $40 ($80 entry) and be happy to listen to their reasons why they dont like it

This sounds interesting, I will be going to see Dragons play Tigers at ANZ Stadium in the afternoon so this could be something to try in the morning. Throw my name in the hat.

Thank you,
Roysa, Iwolf, Amagill, Trixmclaren.

So far, its good to know there are at least 4 spirited, adventurous and forward thinking Bowlers in Sydney who are not afraid to be pioneers of the bowling world.
I will run this tournament, I will pay the prizemoney and I will stand by my offer that if you play and decide you dont like it after the first match, I'll give you $40 back.
What does it take to fire up another 12 Bowler's curiosity ?

Thanks Roy. fixed it.
S'pose its possible Roy, depends HOW "spirited and adventurous" the competition gets. lol.

Back
Top Bottom