X Games Bowling Mini T'ment @ Tenpin City 9th March

Mistagear

www.xgamesbowling.com
X Games Bowling will present a mini eliminator tournament on 9th March 2014.
Entry open to only 16 competitors on first to pay 1/2 deposit basis.
Host Centre is Tenpin City Lidcombe. Check in 8.30am, matches start at 9am.
(Bowling will conclude approx 12 midday.)
Cost to enter is $80
Winner receives $350, Runner-up $200.
In addition there will be a draw at conclusion of matches,where 6 entrants will receive $25 cash-back (must be present at final to be eligible )
Competition will consist of 5 rounds XGB Pro Score© matches.
8 Competitors eliminated after 2 rounds.(0 wins/ 2 losses)
4 more eliminated after 3rd round, (loss in Rd3)
2 more eliminated after 4th round (loss in Rd4 )
Final will be contested between the 2 remaining undefeated Bowlers.

XGB Pro Score© is very different scoring system to traditional game. This mini tournament being run to invite feedback from bowlers and anyone wishing to spectate this new way to bowl competitively.
The winner of this event will also receive free entry in the next tournament series, which is being planned. We are looking to showcase XGB in several States, then bring the winners for each State to a final where we have plans for an unusual and unique reward for the finalists.

Further information on how XGB Pro Score© works and more details on this current mini tournament available on request.
Inquiries to mistagear@gmail or message me here.
Please nominate here on Total Bowling if you would like to participate in this new and different competition.
All open questions regarding XGB or this event, happily received

HI Pete...

can you just clarify this bit... how many games and how is it reduced to 8 people unless u play everyone once? Sorry im just confused.

HI Pete...

can you just clarify this bit... how many games and how is it reduced to 8 people unless u play everyone once? Sorry im just confused.

Roysa,

Think of it as a tennis draw.

16 reduces to 8 after round 1,
8 reduces to 4 after quarter finals
4 reduces to 2 after semi finals
2 play off in the final

It also scores like a tennis match. In the shortest format (1st to 2 pts = 1 game, 1st to 2 games = 1 set, 1st to 2 sets wins the match) the match can conceivably be over in 8 shots each (the equivalent of 6-0, 6-0 in tennis).

Alternatively, a match in this format can also take over an hour with 2 evenly matched players so it is impossible to determine how many traditional games will be required.

Hi Brenton

Thanks for your reply. I understand how 16 is then 8 then 4 etc that's not what I'm questioning.

I'm asking how is the 16 culled to 8 players? How does one make the cut?

Also 5 rounds? (16 8 4 2 = 4)

Sorry I'm not being deliberately painful I just don't understand the tourney format.

Thanks for the questions, more the merrier.

First round of 16,
Second round is also 16, where the field is split into 8 winners / 8 losers from Round 1.
This is so every entrant will have opportunity to experience a greater number of XGB Matches on the day (minimum 2 matches)

Yes it is theoretically possible to have a match completed in a minimum of points contested, but that has not been the norm so far, and will possibly only occur if 2 bowlers of vastly different skill levels bowl against the other.

Round 1: 16 bowlers in 8 head to head matches
Round 2: (8 winners fr Rd1 in matches) (8 losers fr Rd1 in matches)
Round 3 : (8 winners fr Rd2 play matches) 8 bowlers eliminated after Rd2.
Round 4 : (4 winners fr Rd3 play semi finals) 4 bowlers eliminated after Rd3.
Round 5 : (2 winners fr Rd4 play final ) 2 bowlers eliminated after Rd4

A Player can have a loss in Rd1 and still make the final, a loss after Rd1 and you are eliminated.
Every entrant will receive free,an XGB Pro Score App to suit their iPhone/Pad or Anrdoid Phone/Tablet, prior to the event. This will allow all participants to try an XGB Match before the tournament.

Hey Peter,

We would be interested at looking into one of these events down here in Canberra. I like the idea of a change up.

Question on this current format ... essentially, is there no advantage to winning your match in round 1? In fact, I would see it as a disadvantage as you would come up against another bowler who has just won their match. It looks very similar to the "double elimination" style set up but there would be 4 people from the winners group that get eliminated from their first loss, with 4 winning in the losers group going on to round 3.

Michael.

Hey Peter,

We would be interested at looking into one of these events down here in Canberra. I like the idea of a change up.

Question on this current format ... essentially, is there no advantage to winning your match in round 1? In fact, I would see it as a disadvantage as you would come up against another bowler who has just won their match. It looks very similar to the "double elimination" style set up but there would be 4 people from the winners group that get eliminated from their first loss, with 4 winning in the losers group going on to round 3.

Michael.

Thanks Michael,
For me, this more about having people experience XGB, than about having a serious tournament. I do however accept your point and did ponder that same issue when I was deciding the format.
My hope for this time is, people will see value in the competition itself and not want to lose a match intentionally, which then puts them in a position where their next match will be less satisfying.
I'm thinking that someone who needs to go that route, will probably not win through to the final anyhow, so the exercise will be futile and a waste of opportunity to have some good competition.
I have been working on many different formats to suit tournaments as well as league situations.
I'd be happy to arrange something with you for Canberra . 0439 333 300

Thanks Roy,
Appreciate you willing to give something different a try

Have had a couple of messages, also questioning the point which was made by Michael Craig.
So I'll change the format to accommodate. (double loss elimination)
Rd 1. 16 bowlers in 8 Head to Head Matches.
Rd 2. 8 (1W/0L)winners bracket , and 8 (0W/1L)losers bracket. 4 bowlers (0W/2L) eliminated after this Rd
Rd 3. 4 (2W/0L)winners bracket, 8 (1W/1L) bracket. 4 bowlers (1W/2L) eliminated after this Rd.
Rd 4. 6 bowlers with 2W/1L) play a single conventional game for positions 3rd to 8th.
Rd 5 2 bowlers with (3W/0L) play the final .

Winner (4Win/0Loss) $350
Runner-up (3W/1L) $200
3rd Place (2W/1L) high score $75
4th Place (2W/1L) next highest $50
5th Place (2W/1L) next again $25

Pete... so far its you and me.... least i will have the right side to myself, you're left handed aren't you?

Cmon people... throw your hat in.

Hi, I am kinda interested in trying this scoring system as it does sound fun and very different but is there going to be a way for a lower average bowler to compete with a high average bowler?

Hi, I am kinda interested in trying this scoring system as it does sound fun and very different but is there going to be a way for a lower average bowler to compete with a high average bowler?

Come give it a try, I'm sure you will win some points and games even if you dont win your matches.
You'll be one of the first to try this new way to compete,,,,, that's new
You'll have a bowl in a contest where every ball is interesting,,,, that's different
You'll win some points/games even if you come up against a tough competitor,,,, that's different
You'll leave with some positives to win a few more next time and incentive to come back,,,, that's different.
So far, you only have to beat Roy to take home the major title of the first X Games winner in Sydney... once only offer lol

I tried watching the XGB video this morning on my way to work. Much better production, although there were still some snippets of bad audio. I managed to watch about 15mins of the show, before I got bored & decided to not watch any more. From what I saw, it looked like the bowlers were enjoying some good competition, as a spectator, I found myself wondering how much longer will this match go? I then looked at the scorecard & saw it was 1-1 in the 2nd game of the 1st set. That's when I realised, that's why I rarely watch tennis, it just goes forever. Whilst I feel I would enjoy bowling that format, as a spectator, (my personal opinion here) I prefer the traditional scoring method. For me, it's easier to see who is actually leading & I don't need to think to myself, "What game or set are we in?".

In summary, I reckon I'd enjoy bowling matches like this, particularly against someone of similar ability (could have really long rallies), and the idea of a single match, potentially going for a long time, is kind of appealing to me, as a bowler, as a spectator? Not so much.

Again my personal opinion... but it seems that being a good traditional bowler isn't a huge advantage... you can throw a brooklyn strike or go thru the nose a few times and carry and be rewarded in this format, whereas in a traditional context these bowlers will be found out because they can't compile scores. In this game it looked like jay was struggling more but he won... that would frustrate me. Don't get me wrong I'll try it, but I'm possibly less excited now than I was before watching. Sorry Peter

I watched 9 mins of the video and was confused as to where the match was up to. I put it down to not being able to see the scoring and not understanding the current state of play. Figured it would be easier to follow if I was there. Agree Andy I'd prefer to play tennis than watch it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom