X Games Bowling Demo Match this weekend @ Rooty Hill

Mistagear

www.xgamesbowling.com
I'd like to demonstrate XGB Pro Score to Sydney bowlers on Sunday 1st Dec, after the Sports Series has been concluded. I've cleared it with Rooty Hill Bowl and as long as Sports Series Organisers are cool with it.
I will offer the 2 highest non cashing bowlers an opportunity to play a match of XGB Pro Score ( $70 to the winner/ $30 to the other contestant ) and hope some bowlers will stay back to watch the demonstration which will probably run for approx 30/40 mins.

XGB is a new way to score bowling, has been designed to be more exciting for bowlers and interesting for spectators. At every point in a match, you know exactly who is leading and by exactly how much.
Players bowl ball for ball against each-other to win a frame, winner is awarded 1 point.
First player to win 2 points, wins the Game.
First player to win 2 Games, wins a Set.
First to win 2 Sets, wins the Match.
(the number of points and/or games and/or sets can be changed to suit desired )

To win a Point,
a X strike beats everything else,
a 9 spare beats an 8 spare and so on,
any spare beats an open frame,
highest count wins if both open frame.
If both bowl same (eg X v X or 9/ v 9/ etc) players bowl again without changing lanes, until one wins the point.

With the traditional game strikes or spares carry over pins, making it difficult to get interested in a contest until the very last frame, as well it's difficult to know who might be winning. This makes spectating lifeless, especially for non bowlers its more like a math's exercise than a sport, even at the highest levels of the traditional game the same problem exists.

XGB Pro Score is different, you win a point, no carry over of pins. Every ball you bowl becomes more important, you can win with a 5/ if your opponent leaves his frame open or you might go strike for strike while pressure builds and builds.
Points build into Games, Games into Sets and winning sets will win you the Match. There is about ten times as much winning to be had in an XGB Match, that's ten times as interesting and ten times as exciting.

Thanks for reading,
Pete

For a tournament to work you would have to have several rounds of repechage or else No-one will want to pay the entry fee for a chance to be eliminated in 8 balls

Thanks for comments,
I've not had a match go totally lop sided, but theoretically is possible if bowlers were absolutely mis-matched.
XGB will always be graded, and none of the tournament formats have single match elimination.
I've been mindful to give similar time/value when putting formats together
Cheers, Pete

Reactions: CT
Thanks for comments,
I've not had a match go totally lop sided, but theoretically is possible if bowlers were absolutely mis-matched.
XGB will always be graded, and none of the tournament formats have single match elimination.
I've been mindful to give similar time/value when putting formats together
Cheers, Pete

Especially given the demonstration match we taped at Salisbury (which is being edited as we speak!) went for over an hour! On the shortest format of XGB!

Pete, I hope you have a big screen TV and a microphone so the spectators can keep abreast of how the match is proceeding. Lacking that at Salisbury made it difficult to keep track of where the match was at.

I'm down for the SS on Sunday. Interested to see if anyone wants to give it a go.

How are you proposing to announce it to those competing in the SS peter as most just go on their way after 10 games.

Agree, I will be there but have a date with lunch afterwards. Would be keen to see what this is all about though.

Well worth a look and supporting something different. Hat's off to you for the effort you are putting in, i could see this scoring being great for pot nights.

Pete, count me in to have a crack at your scoring system, I will be at SS#6.

Hi Guys,

I would like to say a special thanks to Pete for putting on the Demo after SS#6. Lindsay and myself had a crack. I have to say it was a lot of fun, the format puts a lot of pressure on each shot.

The good thing is the entertainment value of the format, both bowlers are engaged in each others shots. You have to watch the other bowler to know what you need on your next ball. Well worth having a crack at, I think this could be a great format for the spectator to be a part of.

For me I really enjoyed the badger and sledging factor that you can get away with as both bowlers are up and involved at every moment.

This could be the next big thing in getting bowling back on TV, get behind it bowlers and have a go. Pete deserves our support on this venture, not just for the effort he has put into the XGB Pro Score so far, but for the fact that it may very well be what saves our sport.

Good one, John. Hope the others enjoyed it also ----- PLUS, especially the onlookers.

Any comments from anyone watching ?

The Wide Bay Tour in QLD is interested in exhibitioning this format at one of our tour stops next season if this interests you Peter.

The Wide Bay Tour in QLD is interested in exhibitioning this format at one of our tour stops next season if this interests you Peter.

Am very happy to be offered the opportunity, when dates for next year are finalised, please let me know and will make arrangements.
Thanks very much
Cheers, Pete.

PS;
To John Velo,
Thanks for your kind review and for posting, very much appreciated.

WBT 2014

Gympie Grand Slam 2-3 Feb
Maryborough Open 5-6 Apr
Bundy Rum Classic 17-18 May
Caboolture Open 5-6 July
Suncel Cabo Doubles 6-7 Sep
Charlie Greyson Alex Heads 29-30 Nov

Jay, email me with your ideas on what you would like to do. Will do my best to be available when you require.
I can tailor to suit, demo match and/or stepladder final for one or several rounds ?
Also have plans in progress to be capable of running an elimination tournament using XGB Pro Score format or a combination of XGB and traditional scoring if required. Initially this will be possible using a series of iPads connecting via a database, and later in 2014 to have a plugin available to bowling centres to run through the centre's monitors and automatic scoring.

[email protected]

Sounds like could be some fun on a Saturday night Jay - perhaps even a top 2 new format for Stepladder.

:)

Cheers
JK

Thinking of a XGB mini tournament Saturday evening at Gympie...Peter Walsh would be up for it and we will have a big presence there. Low cost buy in and something new will be beneficial to both us and Pete (mistagear)

Jay, I have Feb 2nd a Sunday? I have an event scheduled for Mayfield Superstrike in Newcastle on that date, part of a 4 week demo/ event for Newcastle bowlers. I will try to arrange for someone to attend your event for the Saturday evening if that suits you. Otherwise I could possibly do your show on Sat night and make a flight out of Bris on Sunday Morning in time for Superstrike on Sunday. That might work ?

Sorry Pete yes its Feb 1-2 not 2-3. Saturday evening at Gympie or the following tournament in Maryborough would be the best time as it's right in the middle of the event and anyone staying up at the location will be available to compete. Last year we had a last man standing event on the saturday evenings so XGB could take the place of that at either stop.

Sounds like you are getting some traction Pete.

Since Sunday I have been thinking of tournament options, short format.

My thought to keep the traditional and add the new would be something like this:

1: Sat qualifying - six traditional games, maybe even five or four. Changing lanes after every game.
say A,B and C squad depending on numbers.

2: Sat evening have a retry squad - three traditional games, were you choose three games to drop from you first attempt, you bowl the three game and what ever you bowl is added to the scores you keep.

3: Sunday morning the top 12 bowl one traditional game to decided the order for match play based on that game not the previous days qualifying. This would also be the warm up session.

4: Match play via XGB format, 12 plays 1, 11 pays 2 etc, looser drops out until the last two play off for the title.

Short enough format, put more pressure on every shot from qualifying through to match play.

Any hoot, just a thought.

C:\Users\Valued Customer\Pictures\img058
img057.jpg Thanks John,
I have a few formats, some with traditional games included as this one.
32 bowlers start,
3rd loss elimination.
after round 3, (4 bowlers eliminated)
In 4th round, 6 more bowlers eliminated,
5th round 19 bowlers eliminated,
that leaves one bowler undefeated and through to the grand final, and 2 bowlers with 4:1 win:loss who play preliminary final to decide who meets the undefeated player in the grand final.
Once bowlers have lost 2 matches, they go into a group who bowl a traditional game. After that game bowlers with lower scores are eliminated.
This format could be run on a single day (approx 5hrs to get to grand final)

I see this type of format as giving reasonable value for money to bowlers and helps the Centre with lane allocation by reducing lanes required in latter rounds.
Biggest problem I envisage is directing bowlers to the correct lane for next round depending if they won or lost their previous match. It's not simply a matter of moving left or right.
I hope, at some point, the most prestigious tournaments would become single loss elimination. That would automatically enhance the prestige, simply by being far more difficult to reach a grand final. To have made it through to finals, bowlers would need to have competed constantly, at a very high standard and very few get the chance. This would raise the level of respect shown to individuals and the sport of bowling by other bowlers and in turn the general public.
You may have noticed, in sport, the most prized titles are those which are the most difficult to have won and usually only the most elite competitors from the sport are given opportunity to even compete. Bowling needs to look at how other sports structure competitions to enhance the prestige of their sport...then copy that.

Back
Top Bottom