X Games Bowling Mini T'ment @ Tenpin City 9th March

Funny how you lose track of things. When I lived in Sydney - admittedly some time ago, I feel fairly sure there were several million people living there, and quite a few of them bowled. Can't be many there now. 4 Starters - FOUR?????
Wish I lived there still - Oh, well, I s'pose it's safe and cosy in a cocoon. Maybe not. Don't worms and things live in cocoons?

Winner $350
Runner-up $200
6 additional cash @$25ea

Thats a 1 in 2 chance to cash back, the minimum amount of bowling will be greater than the 6 game block format at NSW Sports Series.
Every point is like a 10th frame decider in the conventional game, therefore represents greater value per ball than anything you have bowled in previously.

In no way is this meant to criticize the Sports Series, merely using the other event available to Sydney bowlers as comparison , however I'm at a loss to understand the resistance to this event. Thought I had presented something which offered value for money to bowlers who want to enter competitions.
If its only lack of understanding the concept, please ask any questions, otherwise please tell me what is the problem ?

Hi Pete,

I am just bummed out it is on that weekend as I have family commitments. I was really looking forward to having another crack as it is a lot of fun and I admire what you are trying to achieve.

In all honesty, Total Bowling is probably not the best forum to promote the event. If you look at the main commentators on Total Bowling I would have to say that there would be maybe 8 regulars on here.

For example, NSW Sport Series, done through Face Book these days with a lot of responses, NSW ATBSO again Face Book. Holt, Face Book. The list goes on. Total Bowling may not be the best avenue of promotion and the reason for the poor response.

Again, really bummed out it is on the 9th.

Nearly 2 weeks out Pete... at what point will you make a decision on if it goes ahead?

A quick THANKYOU to Superstrike Centres in Newcastle for hosting XGB Pro Score matches as part of their inter-centre Championships.
Superstrike management allowed me to run a squad at Maitland over the weekend. Also a big THANKYOU to all the bowlers who competed and were willing to give the new scoring a go.

Due to time constraints we ran Time Limited matches, bowlers and spectators seemed to enjoy the competitive head to head aspect of X Games and comments were very supportive of what we are trying to achieve with this new scoring system.

Looking forward to the next event at Tenpin City ,this coming Sunday, 9th March. Hope we have a few more bowlers nominate for this coming event

Have been in contact with Tenpin City, they have bowlers interested in trying the X Games Concept if we turn it into a try-out rather than a tournament.
So I've decided to change format to $30 entry, every participant will bowl 3 Matches, 2 Bowlers play a Final.
Medals for Winner, Runner-UP and 2 Semi- Finalists will be awarded rather than cash.
That represents extremely good value, especially that XGB is the most competitive form of bowling possible.
If you would like to experience the best way for bowlers to compete, nominate today.

As a thankyou to Roysa, TrixMclaren and Shaun 24, their entry will free

I appreciate the sentiment Peter but I will be honest and tell you it's not that important to me to play for a medal.

I've been away from my wife and baby a few days this week for work so I'm going to spend the weekend with them as I have an away trip to Orange for state league next weekend.

Sorry Pete. I hope those that take part enjoy it.

I think we can all stop wondering why a sport which once had a high public profile, regular TV tournaments, and Pro bowlers who earned mote than Pro Golfers, has, effectively, NO profile at all to-day. I really think I can see who is basically to blame, and it's not the associations, nor the centre owners, nor the equipment manufacturers. Let me see now-----------Who's left ? Woops - looks like it's me !!!! AND YOU !!!

I think we can all stop wondering why a sport which once had a high public profile, regular TV tournaments, and Pro bowlers who earned mote than Pro Golfers, has, effectively, NO profile at all to-day. I really think I can see who is basically to blame, and it's not the associations, nor the centre owners, nor the equipment manufacturers. Let me see now-----------Who's left ? Woops - looks like it's me !!!! AND YOU !!!

Hi Jim... cant disagree with you on who is to blame. This event organised by Peter is clear evidence that player participation isnt good enough. Im 100% comfortable with my decision to withdraw and i dont take any of what you said personally, at least i was willing to throw my hat in to begin with.

The real question is, and this isnt a stab at Peter's efforts as he should be admired for his passion and willingness to put his own money into something like this but is it the format of Xgames bowling that people are simply not interested in??? There was 2 squads full for last weeks Sports Series, that was bowling wasnt it?

A fair question that deserves a poll in my opinion.

Of course there will always be good reasons why individuals can't enter something in the first place, have to withdraw later, and so on. All perfectly legitimate and natural. In any case you may not like some new innovation or whatever. Be a good idea to try it first, before endorsing or rejecting it.
It is obvious that bowling, comparative with other sports is in the doldrums. If something just might have some good effect, wouldn't be a real bad idea to give it a go. I'm addressing those 1140 plus people who have just read this thread, rather than those who have responded in some way.

Hi All,

Is it really the bowler or the simple cost of living in Australia? How much is a practice game in the US/Asia compared to Australia?

If I only want to bowl tournaments and not league I can't get league practice rates. So you are forced down the league path that generally equates to approx $10+ per game.

Life has changed for many sports, but league and a few practice games a week requires upward of $60 spare in the family budget.

Not every one has that budget to spare, last year I took 4 months off bowling because the budget was not there. With current working conditions in Australia, family budgets are getting smaller, more people work weekends.

For me the issue may not be the scoring type but the format of events. The sports series last weekend was great, $80 per bowler, 45+ bowlers and very sudden death once the top 15 were cut. Most of the bowlers hung around to watch. First time I have seen that for a number years. It ws entertaining to watch because it was sudden death. Exactly what Pete is trying to achieve.

My personal opinion is that events need to be one day events so that more people may attend.

The whole Ranked event TBA process would cost how much per event. Air flights, accomodation, entry etc etc, maybe $2000 per weekend for 10 games if you don't make the cut. Really not good value for money for all but a select few with a chance to win and get their money back.

Why are the ATBSO events attracting numbers, well firstly most have the budget to bowl as they are at different stages of their lives, but because they are one day events. It might cost $150 for the event including petrol, entry fee and some lunch and a coffee at the bowl. That makes for a good day out for the seniors.

For me more one day events run as a series in each state that then equates to State winners that then go into a national weekend event final. Brief description but i think the idea is understood. Sure, have you two day big tournaments but do they need to be ranked events that only a select few may attend all of. Is that the best way to have a national points system when the cost of bowling in Australia is so high?

Any hoot, type to draw this post to an end before i start a bomb fire.

At last, at last. Finally I know why so many other sports attract thousands of spectators / followers. Finally.!... It's cheaper for the competitors in those sports to participate! Why didn't I think of that?

Back
Top Bottom