X Games Bowling Mini T'ment @ Tenpin City 9th March

I haven't personally tried XGB, but my old coach & I would play a very similar game. Highest pinfall for the frame won a point (ties are re-bowled) first to 7 points won the game, & the match would be best of 3. If I won, I was allowed a free treat from the café, & if he won, I wouldn't get my free practice game for the day. We did this as an activity to learn how to deal with making shots under pressure.

Whilst describing the format sounds dull, actually bowling it is quite enjoyable.

I'm not sure it'd be more interesting as a spectator compared to normal bowling though - I personally only watch bowling on TV if there is a bowler I enjoy watching on, as do others that I know.

Good luck with it all, Pete. I'll try it out once my circumstances have changed to give me more time.

I haven't personally tried XGB, but my old coach & I would play a very similar game. Highest pinfall for the frame won a point (ties are re-bowled) first to 7 points won the game, & the match would be best of 3. If I won, I was allowed a free treat from the café, & if he won, I wouldn't get my free practice game for the day. We did this as an activity to learn how to deal with making shots under pressure.

Whilst describing the format sounds dull, actually bowling it is quite enjoyable.

I'm not sure it'd be more interesting as a spectator compared to normal bowling though - I personally only watch bowling on TV if there is a bowler I enjoy watching on, as do others that I know.

Good luck with it all, Pete. I'll try it out once my circumstances have changed to give me more time.
XGB is bowled ball for ball, everyone will always know, who is winning and by exactly how much. This way, players feel the additional competitive tension in every shot and spectators can share the excitement of a match, the same as they can in every other sport.
Additionally, an XGB match will ALWAYS be won on the final shot. In many conventional scoring games, the winner has already been decided well before the final ball, this really spoils any chance Bowling has, to excite viewers to become regular fans of the sport.
I suspect the scoring of bowling is the major cause of the decline in Bowling. At one stage in history, Professional Bowling had prize funds were the equal of Golf. The difference between the past and present is a direct result of Bowling's lack of ability to attract spectators/viewers/fans.
Bowling MUST change whatever is possible, to attract fans to the sport. To be successful, every modern sport HAS to attract fans, more than it needs to attract competitors. If you attract fans, you attract sponsors and then you will easily attract players. This is what bowling needs to aspire to, not continue to push for "pathways for athletes" or " more coaching program's . Bowling has been pushing the same tired and worn out barrow for 50 yrs, when will we say, "enough is enough, we have to do something totally different"

Back
Top Bottom