Wearing Hats while bowling

From my understanding there was a TBA rule that bowlers where not allowed to wear hats while bowling

We had an incident in league last night where a bowler refused to remove his hat
League president allowed it this week to be discussed at a meeting next week

I just did a search of the newly released amended rules
VERSION 8.4 – 4-10-11
And couldn't find anything regarding this

Does the rule still exist and does anyone know the history behind the rule

Is this a gee up?

Its a hat at league on a thursday night. Does anyone really think this is an issue?

Nev what was the reason this person was asked to remove his hat?

Nev what was the reason this person was asked to remove his hat?

Because its is/was against TBA regulations

Trying to determine if it still is and why it was in the first place

I personally don't have an issue with it but I do have an issue with bowlers not following regulations
One rule for all not for individuals

OK... im all for following regulations as well but surely it should be confined to Tournaments or something of more significance than Thursday night league.

I just feel even bringing it up at league would cause more harm than good.

this has to be a joke, ur going to tell us that is a handicap league, Seriously i think u need to get alife,
This turns ppl off bowling, Have a hard look at ur yourself,. it's not the world tour,
about head phones? or using phone apps that ppl use to keep they scores and stats ,
I am glad i don't bowl in ur league
bowling= fun , ur going behind on a joke

shakes head

I am reasonably flexible on this 1, Dazz is a hat wearer and I think people that wear hats sometimes forget they have them on.
On the is this joke thing, A league is a tournament and if you want to bowl in a league of any sort there are rules that apply, if not being allowed to wear a hat is 1 then it should be obeyed and respected, you don't want the foul lines turned off or other things weakened.
To be able to respect the rules of any sport is a discipline and it is all part of participating.
There is nothing wrong with people wanting the rules being respected, it all depends on how the question was asked and how the reply went.
Life is a ***** but rules are rules!!

this has to be a joke, ur going to tell us that is a handicap league, Seriously i think u need to get alife,
This turns ppl off bowling, Have a hard look at ur yourself,. it's not the world tour,
about head phones? or using phone apps that ppl use to keep they scores and stats ,

shakes head

As I said

Because its is/was against TBA regulations

Trying to determine if it still is and why it was in the first place

I personally don't have an issue with it but I do have an issue with bowlers not following regulations
One rule for all not for individuals

shakes head

And I'm glad I'm not your English teacher, wow that was hard to read. Probably best to have a think about an issue before blowing up on a forum.

I can't see anthing specific to dress in league, in the rule book, however it's not 'beyond a joke' to ask for hats to be removed indoors, it's a common courtesy. But say it were against the TBA regulations to wear hats while bowling league or to bowl in sneakers, wear sunglasses etc., would a league allowing such not be sanctioned? Ramifications being unrecognised achievements, 300's and the like. Now tell me being told your 300 isn't registered because the league isn't sanctioned "=fun".

As dad said up there, Im a hat wearer. I understand the rules, and respect them. BUT i will always try and wear it untill im told otherwise, with the obvious exception of Tournaments.

Pity though, im much more untidy to look at without a hat on!

And I'm glad I'm not your English teacher, wow that was hard to read. Probably best to have a think about an issue before blowing up on a forum.

I can't see anthing specific to dress in league, in the rule book, however it's not 'beyond a joke' to ask for hats to be removed indoors, it's a common courtesy. But say it were against the TBA regulations to wear hats while bowling league or to bowl in sneakers, wear sunglasses etc., would a league allowing such not be sanctioned? Ramifications being unrecognised achievements, 300's and the like. Now tell me being told your 300 isn't registered because the league isn't sanctioned "=fun".

Hate to rain on your parade but there is no such thing as a sanctioned league any more.
Bowlers are either registered or unregistered, Bowling centres are either registered or unregistered, but leagues are just leagues. Registration/Sanctioning no longer applies.

So therefore my understanding would be that if it was league the only "rules" that would need to be followed are that of the leagues constitution.

I used to wear hats/bandana's/beanies due to a receeding hair line. I didnt feel comfortable being so bald at such a young age. I dont wear a hat anymore due to hair transplants BUT i did wear one for many years and i was constantly asked to remove it indoors and i came to the impression that it was mainly the older generations that were asking this. Im quite sure the younger generations dont really care or make any point of it being obeyed. The only league i was ever asked to remove it in was the NCC and i believed it to be petty then as i do now.
Its not always a arrogant refusal, for my case (and others im sure) it was simply a confidence issue.

This thread shows what this forum and 80% of bowling has become.

Who gives a f.. is someone wears a hat. It doesn't affect your game and it is not performance enhancing.

Get rid of the pedantics and start bowling to enjoy it.

So therefore my understanding would be that if it was league the only "rules" that would need to be followed are that of the leagues constitution.

Absolutely correct.

Of course if the governing body had the fortitude to reinstate compulsory membership things would be very different.
Instead they are leaving it to the proprietors to do their work for them.

Glad u weren't my english teacher, U have taken it to far, I won't step down to ur level, Make it a personal attack. Just keep in mind not all r great spellers or writers of the English language, considering it's the hardest language in the world to speak and write.Some of the most successful ppl more know to Australia little around the world, can't read and write, I ain't perfect and make mistakes and admit it, I get the msg across that's all it matters, i don't have time to put up with complainers like u.

I more in shock of ur shocking attitude.

As previous said no such thing as a sanctioned 300..
Y do u bowl?? or u don't ?

u want a sport be that of bowling? Ur the type would complain if the lane didn't suit ur bowling, if there a hair out of place, or something different that gives u something to complain about, that's y bowling is where it is today.
What's normal??
u out to be da fun police? We are not in the 70's, times and technology change, as does fashion get with the times or be left behind.
Rules r there to be broken? Trouble is the rules don't get updated and probably made back in the 50's or earlier
U drive? All drives break the road rules, lairing if u say u don't

Ppl can get all sort of Sponsor's from clothing and fashion, not to mention technology so i suggest bowling changes with the world or get left behind even further, So is bowling going to knock back money in the sport because of rule??
stop complaining about the little things and let u speak on the lane with good results!!!!!!! Or do something good for bowling instead of being a pain....

All of the tournaments I run include two rules which do cover this, the first being "All TBA Rules and Regulations will apply" (which isn't actually that relevant), and the second that says "Hats are not to be worn whilst competing", which is listed straight after "No jeans, track-pants, tank tops". I don't believe there has ever been anything specific in the Rules of the sport about it.

Personally I'm a fan of hats off indoors, but for me I think it's about eye contact - I'm 6'4" and if you're wearing a hat and shorter than me (shorter is likely, although not always obviously) then I can't see your face. I've never asked anyone (except in the tournaments where the above applies) to remove a hat inside because I'm all for making your own choices, I just chalk it up to learning a facet of your personality.

On the side note about leagues - I'm fairly sure AMF agreed that with compulsory membership and player registration, all structured competition conducted in their centres would be as per the NSOs rules which is what makes it a "sanctioned" league. It is true the league itself doesn't sanction any more, but if it's in a registered centre and using the NSOs rules, it is honorarily sanctioned as such. You won't get a 300 award for bowling in a no-tap league, even if you are a member and it is a registered centre. Plus, last time I bowled in a league the first or second real rule in the constitution was "The league shall use the rules as set forth by Tenpin Bowling Australia" or something to that effect.

This thread shows what this forum and 80% of bowling has become.

Who gives a f.. is someone wears a hat. It doesn't affect your game and it is not performance enhancing.

Get rid of the pedantics and start bowling to enjoy it.
Would it be be pedantic to mention that some one who is pedantic is in fact, a pedant? :p

But yep, who cares about hats in league? Un-block your house shot first, then hat-boy might need to see to score. Could fix the problem for you! :)

Yours Pedantically,
Jason

G'day All
Just common curtsey or general good manners would demand that a gentleman would take his hat off when entering inside anywhere but alas today's generation are probally not conversant with either one of the above.
Cheers
Mick............................................whoops incoming......

I agree Mick. Common courtesy is nowhere near as common as the name would suggest these days though. A lot of guys wear hats to cover their thinning locks. I remember the first time I reached for my scalp in the Canberra sun and thought "Ow! Ohhh...! It's happened to me!" One more reason to bowl. No sun damage!

On that note, ever notice that there's a lot more bald guys around these days? Chinese medicine puts it down to the high levels of sugar in western diets and stress. Interesting stuff...

Cheers,
Jason

Back
Top Bottom