Rachuig S.A.

Valid Comments Nic,

As you put it that our juniors/youth only have one tournie to compete in and that is all that is keeping it together.... (I believe that the under 25's tournament was set up originally for the 18-25 year old bracket).

As many bowlers would know this has not been the case for probably the last 4 years (18-25 year olds I mean).

Basically the under 25's tournament has now become a shield exercise and I for one would like to see the rules enforced and the original format for which it was designed returned.

If you don't have the bowlers (18-25) in your centre (that bowl for your centre) then so be it.

But this is branching off into another subject isn't it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the question we really need to ask is why don't juniors continue on after they turn 18? What are we doing wrong? Can we fix it?

It use to be an honor to bowl Rachuig, maybe some of the reasons that is has lost it's importance is the fact that it cost's a considerable amount of money, you have to spend a minimum of 7 days with people you may not know or even like, you bowl your bum's off for what? You know certain people may make the team, be it even if it is not in the teams best interests, but what do you do (7 past the post) thats the rule......

PS: to all those bowlers that are going to be bowling in trials , may the best bowlers succeed , may we send the best TEAM away!

icon_razz.gif

Hi Folks,
I gather by all the comments this is just one of many topics people appear to be passionate about yet somewhat disillusioned with the current arrangements.

May I make a suggestion...what do you (or anyone else in SA for that matter) think about holding a Forum with the purpose to discuss such matters but at the same time, come up with some POSITIVE suggestions that the State Administrators can take away?

If this were to be done, I would suggest having an INDEPENDENT Moderator to keep everything "on track".

I understand it is sometimes difficult to understand why certain things are done the way they are, however, if those making the important decisions are not provided with any feedback,guidence or constructive suggestions for improvement, they believe they are doing the right thing for the sport. If in practice that were not the case, they need to know why and what can be done to improve matters.

Just a suggestion..

Please post your comments.

icon_confused.gif

The Sth Aust roll off's for Rachuig selection
is nearly upon us and this years topic (in the mens division) is who will replace the one or two regulars that are rumoured not to
be trying out this year. As luck would have it any male who wants to try out for the National team will know his fate before the S.A. Rachuig nominations need to be returned.
This in effect means they can give Rachuig a
miss this year (if they dont make the National team) and put their hard earned dollars toward an interstate tournament instead. Kinda makes you wonder where their
heart is in the first place.
Not all of this States top male bowlers look at Rachuig as being a "required" event in their bowling schedules and to the 4 guys who continue to support Rachuig despite the
very ordinary treatment you recieve from some quarters in this State I salute you for
your dedication to the sport.
Perhaps this year some of those male bowlers
who WANT to bowl for their State will make
the team. This would give us a mixture of
both talent and determination. That to me sounds more like a winning formula than some
previous years where spots have been filled by bowlers who are only doing what is required of them.
Now for the womens team. The question here is
will they have enough nominations for the second stage of qualifying or will it be a matter of did seven women nominate and can we
keep them together long enough to get them to Sydney.
As for managers and coaches. Well I have no
doubt the committee will be forced to make some damm tough decisions here too. Unless they can talk a few allies into nominating for the available positions they may well be
forced into a situation where by they are forced to select managers with new ideas and
zest for the actual positions.
What then. New look teams and managers. Players smiling and looking forward to the challenge ahead. Managers prepared to work with the teams and leave the "in fighting"
to those on the committee who cant help themselves and love creating drama.
Wow. That was one helluva dream and for one
small moment in time I actually thought this
State had got it right.
Keep em rolling.
Agro.

OK Agro who are you?

I for one am pretty sick of reading all this rubbish on this site especially about our Rachuig team.

Don't hide behind your alias name!

Everyone should take a long hard look at what ALL YOUR comments are doing to our state as well as our state teams, which MOST of us are proud to be members of regardless of whether it's compulsory to compete or not.

THINK ABOUT IT! Maybe this is why those who have to bowl do so and when they don't have to they won't!

I hope AGRO you are a Rachuig bowler yourself, you seem to be so informed of what goes on!!

Hi everyone in SA. Boy you guys could move over here anytime and fit right in. It seems we in the sunny West aren't the only ones having problems when it comes to Rachuig. Firstly dont forget Rachuig is still ( I believe) Australias premier event. I have been fortunate enough to bowl in 4 Rachuigs during the 90's and enjoyed them immensly even with our limited success. When Rachuig is finished regardless of where you finished you leave there with a sense of achievement and in some cases a bit of soul searching. The moment you lose that its time to give it away. This is what I reckon keeps the kids interested in going on to Rachuig. All the stories they hear, experiences and some good team bowling thrown in for good measure. Last year we had the good fortune to have Alan Stax and Amanda take over the reigns of running the State Committee. Sadly Alan has gone on to better things but Stax and Amanda are still here and as said in a previous post its a thankless task. As Jo says your damned if you do damned if you dont. I never realised how much is involved in trying to run both Shield and Rachuig. As far as I know it top 7 once again as no selection criteria has been discussed and I dont mind top 7. Just a word of advice. As great as this forum is try and keep the negative remarks to a minimum. I got a please explain last year over similar circumstances so just thought I would mention it. Anyway I hope it all works out it always does and it wpuldnt be Rachuig without a few hiccups along the way. Looking forward to giving our old enemy a hiding in September.
icon_wink.gif
icon_wink.gif
Baron

Jo,
I take it your comment "MOST of us are proud to be members whether it is compulsory or not" does NOT include those members who would
rather whinge over petty issues and refuse to
take directions from people they see as unsuitable in their roles as captains and managers.
I am amazed at how quickly everyone wants to forget what has happened over the past few years. Lets not try and fix the problems before they happen again. No make a larger sand pit so everyone can bury their heads a bit deeper each year.
Like it or not this is the new millenium and most sports are moving forward. Watching the
Aussie cricketers celebrate with a beer in one hand and a smoke in the other is part of
this countries culture. But not if you want to bowl for S.A. Nope instead you must sign a
contract and god forbid if you dont comply.
Not even our high schools run such stringent rules and I bet half the teachers out there will tell you that if you want respect then
treat kids like adults. The power breakers in this state are living in the dark ages by
reversing that to treating adults like kids.
Why have so many big names in this state simply walked away from the sport they pursued with passion for so long? Why does our state find it difficult to get nominations for managers when in reality the
list of candidates should read like the whose
who of the bowling world? The simply answer,
like it or not is politics. The cracks started to appear years ago and have just widened with each passing year.
To all those who read this and prefer the sand pit that is your choice. I have grown tired of that road and if people cant take constructive critism then that is not my problem. I prefer fact and what I have written is ALL fact.
It is probably irking some people that I have
so many of the facts. I make that my job.
As a final thought on this post I make this suggestion to all those trying out for Rachuig this year.
Stand back and look at why you are doing it. If you cant find the desire and passion to want to be a PART of a TEAM then why waste your time and that of those who do.
Maybe this year we will see a different attitude within the teams. If not we will just have to rely on that old saying.....
"THE STUFF DREAMS ARE MADE OF".

Keep em rolling
Agro.

TIME OUT!!!!
I am sick of all this arguing over a contract i know i am a junior and havent bowled a Rachuig, but I DO KNOW what is going on. Here is my two bobs worth.
With all the bitchiness and childish behavior going on then i think it is a valid that there is a contract. The Junior Shield Team has to sign one similar. Over the past three months, I have been the victim of bitchiness nad backstabbing and it hurts, and the womens team knows how much it hurts too.
Just something to think about
Brad Tanner

PS I AM NOT AFRAID OF HIDING BEHIND AN ALIAS

TONY

Notice ONE thing about this topic of SA RACHUIG.....

There are no Bitchy comments coming from the women! My comments are based on trying to stick up for what I believe in.

All the bitching is coming from MEN....Go figure!

Go stick your head in the SAND, if that is what you like to call it.

TONY,

Once again your facts are very shady.

I have never said that I wasn't going to bowl due to others being allowed to bowl???

Your informant is again letting you down.

Will I bowl, you'll find out on the day I suppose!

And for your information, I have bowled Rachuig since 1990, in my books that is a long time, possibly even the longest record from this state (I am not sure) and I have been in the WOMENS team since then, I go back year after year. So don't tell me about what "YOU have to put up with".
Tony, this is my last post in response to the Crap you are posting. It's not worth the skin on the end of my fingers nor the time it takes me.

Give it up, maybe some positive stuff might come from your fingers one day.

Jo

Jo,
I take it from your last post you are assuming I am male. Now I could take that as
an insult or a compliment.
I do like your comments though and have printed them out for framing. That way not if
but when the women go off this year as they do EVERY year I will personally present the entire team with a framed copy of your last post.
One last item for our mate Brad. As juniors
you may see the advantages to signing a contract but I dont see how that applies to
the Adult ranks. I struggle to find anywhere
in the history of S.A. Rachuig any person who
turned up for actual Rachuig blind drunk or
in fact degraded the teams whilst away. That
sort of carry on is usually done BEFORE the
teams even get out of S.A.
Enjoy your Easter Boys and Girls.

Keep em rolling
Agro.

Tony having seen some of the adults practice for the state team,it surprised me that that there is still a state team,i saw the couches waiting for male bowlers who did not even bother telephoning to say they wont be there,the practise dates were set very early.
So my opion is if you behave like a child you get treated like a child.that might explain the contract.

Brad Tanner,you have a habit of putting mouth in foot,You should not brag to other junior bowlers about how well you bowl in the trials,yep they did someting about it just to prove that they can bowl as well as you.
Also you should tell anyone else that youre trying out for something on the night at the same time your leage is bowling,when in fact u sub for someone at noarlunga bowl,
i think that is all.

strop, i was only agreeing with jughead about what he said about Brad, not with him on the main subject being Rachuig, sorry if it was a mix up.

i agreed with him because Brad happens to be in my wed night team as anchor and he has let the team down by being at "other places".

sorry for the misunderstanding,

matty kanafa

Hello all,

A few things before i start, My name is Stuart Roberts, I live in NSW and my only experience of bowling in south Australia was bowling there for the 1999 Junior nationals. Yes i was a junior. NOt now i have just turned 18. ANd no i didn't even represent the central zone shield team let alone high level adult competition.

However here is my opinion, and hopefully after that first paragraph you are still willing to read it.

In my opinion what you are describing aligns very closely to the trends which we are experiencing in society as a whole. The introduction of explicit contracts (which was the original issue if i am not mistaken) reflects strongly today's nature of requiring legal awareness. From the small extracts which i read most of the clauses appear to me as S.A managements attempts to "cotton-wool" themselves in the event of a boisterous or disorderly bowler.

It is sad that bowling has taken this turn, and no i never saw bowling in the 80's let alone most of the 90's, but what can you do about it???

i think this is a more important question.

Some others have tried to address this question although it seems that if they haven't previously bowled then they are not qualified to comment. Perhaps that makes them more qualified??? Perhaps the fact that they aren't personally involved means that they have the objectivity to be able to sit back and look at all the fact without personal issues clouding their judgement.

Lets use this post as a chance to sit back and think. Not argue, complain, complement etc. But think about all possibilities? If the 80's bowling was soo much better, how then did it deterioate within such a short period of time, moreso, what can be done to improve the situation???

In regards to your issues with contractual agreements in representing South Australia. Does the contract really affect you that greatly? Were you one to drink before a tournament? If you beleive it to be a limitation what can you do to change the situation?

These are just a few ideas as from my opinion it seems to me that initially some very good point were made, but it appears that alot of bickering within your own bowlers has caused these initial ideas to be lost.

Back
Top Bottom