Looking for Brenton Davey?

In the old days of wood lanes they were made of 39 separate boards. Count from the right gutter for rightys, there is an arrow every 5 boards (1st arrow = 5 board, 2nd = 10 etc). Synthetic lanes still have the 'boards' printed on them. So 10 board = 2nd arrow (from the right gutter).

Nev,

I'd definitely do everything you can to get him out of that particular habit. When it comes to sparing, straighter is greater in almost every possible way. Not only that, but throwing it back up in that area means misses left result in less reaction due to the heavier volumes of oil in the middle of the lane (almost always) and more hook when missing right.

I had this exact conversation with a very competitive right handed bowler the other day regarding throw 4 pin spares down 30, using a urethane. I explained how he was reducing his area on the lane due the general lane oil characteristics of where he was throwing it. Straighter truly is greater.

Cheers, Cow

Nev,

I'd definitely do everything you can to get him out of that particular habit. When it comes to sparing, straighter is greater in almost every possible way. Not only that, but throwing it back up in that area means misses left result in less reaction due to the heavier volumes of oil in the middle of the lane (almost always) and more hook when missing right.

I had this exact conversation with a very competitive right handed bowler the other day regarding throw 4 pin spares down 30, using a urethane. I explained how he was reducing his area on the lane due the general lane oil characteristics of where he was throwing it. Straighter truly is greater.

Cheers, Cow
I've got to say that I totally disagree. As I said earlier, if something works for someone, but is unconventional, then ANY coach should be very careful before interfering.
Just as well Belmo's early coach didn't insist he do it the same as everyone else ? ???

I see your point Jim, however it is causing the bowler pain in the wrist. I say try and change if the junior feels the need... If its hurting, he obviously knows its not good for him. Show him different styles of sparing etc (even pure power) and see what they think!

I see your point Jim, however it is causing the bowler pain in the wrist. I say try and change if the junior feels the need... If its hurting, he obviously knows its not good for him. Show him different styles of sparing etc (even pure power) and see what they think!

Ryan, he must leave an awful lot of 10 pins, for that to be the cause of a sore wrist. Probably not a few 10 pin shots, that is causing him that problem. Learner bowlers, left strictly to their own devices, in majority, naturally produce a 'backup' delivery. Especially females, many of whom get very effective with it. IN MY VIEW, a good coach takes good points that a bowler has and improves on them, whilst correcting those things which the bowler does less than well. Sure there is ( or was ) a standard - 'copybook ' way to bowl. Just watch any round of any pro-tour tourny, to see how many 'right' ways there are. In my view a good coach modifies the structure given him, rather than demolishes, and builds a new structure. If it doesn't work - fix it. If it does, leave it alone.

I say demolish it! There are far too many bowlers out there, myself included. That could be bowling at a much higher level and more consistently if they built their game from the book as opposed to building their own game and then having their game tweaked by several coaches.

I wish my first coaches changed my entire game when I was younger. I have too many bad habits to be a top bowler now. Sure I did well for myself in the US for a few months but it ends there for me. Just another league bowler these days.

I am giving a very special 2 Toon Thumbs Down to Backup bowling at spares!

I see your point Jim. I'm unsure where to go from; if the cause of the sore wrist IS the backup spare, then I support trying to coach him out of it. If the backup spare ISN'T the reason for the sore wrist, keep it up!

I'll rephrase then. If the young bowler has any intentions of becoming competitive at a higher level, then hooking a back up ball down 10 board at the 10 pin is highly unlikely to get him there. It's one of lowest probability shots there is for it. I'm working purely with the numbers here. On a house shot, you've got lots of oil from 10-30, and not very much oil outside 7. They miss left and the ball just keeps on skating, they miss right and the balls reads earlier. Both lead to potential misses. What happens on Short or dry patterns, will he adjust to down 20? Or on long? down 5?? Straighter is Greater. I wonder how many pro's have potential 15 board shifts for the 10 pin? I'll take the under on 5.

Also, using Belmo isn't really a relevant counter argument. What he does is different, granted. Not advisable? At the time of his growing up, yes, but definitely not the case these days. However, that's where the similarities end for me. Belmo and Osku have created highly efficient ways of creating power and revolutions. Something which probably wasn't truly understood 3-4 years ago, let alone 10+ years ago when Belmo was growing up. However, the simple math of throwing back-up down 10 at the 10 pin shows us that this, especially on a house pattern, is a low percentage shot. Especially when compared to other, and in my opinion, much simpler, methods. I'm happy to be proved wrong here, and for that junior turn into the greatest tenpin shooter I've ever seen, but I don't like the numbers behind it.

I have no problem with people striking their own way. It's one of the best part about this game. However, when it comes to sparing, there is no where near as much leeway.

Cheers, Cow

Just as a side point, don't tell Brenton you have spelt his surname with an 'e'. People have been killed for less =P

Back
Top Bottom