Greatest Australian Lefty of all time?

Thank for pointing that out Susanne...I'd never heard fluent used in that context before. You learn something every day..,
many apologies to Jonesy911 for my error.

Jack Kavan - by so far it wasn't funny. But then you need to be very "old" to remember him! But if you must - then for entertainment value alone add - Lovell, Eric Miles and Steve Bell - for good old fashioned heart Romeo - for class George and Fred - for grace to the line Hart - for best "look at me" Roderick ..mind you Zambelis was close - for longevity Davey - for 5 minutes of fame Manning..for the one you'd always want in your team Hamer and probably Alan A too.

Eric Miles!!! damn he was in Mt gambier for awhile, had the centre record with 288 and a 193 leauge average. Great stuff to an 11-12 yr old kid who loved annoying the 180+ av guys(when that was a damn good average!!)

Well after some research on the weekend (4hrs with Lovey and Ron in the car) I have come to the conclusion that Lovey has the most titles (and runner ups). I never started the post for myself, I was just curious. I was chasing stats, Lovey has more titles than the other lefties mentioned according to the record books.

I looked up and tried to model my personal game on Fred Allsop when I was growing up, always the smoothest and calmest on the lanes, he certainly was a crowd favourite for many reasons :D Lovey has shown us entertainment and showmanship on the lanes for 4 decades, this weekend was no different (lucky you didn't throw your hip out mate with this hip thrusts).

It's safe to say, Australia has always had a long and solid list of lefties over the years. With Porto being the 'choosen one' of the next generation of lefties, god help us all!

My first response was "Who cares?" But then I had a cup of coffee and got more civil. ;)

At last, George and I agree on something!

Lovell, without a doubt. A title list that is truly staggering with wins on Australia and overseas, FIQ Gold and Lord knows what else. Fred's next in my books, but I always loved watching Tony Rodrick (no "e" in it folks) for pure ability to manipulate a bowling ball. Tony's also the only left hander I ever saw who could throw backup on the right and score!

And yes, Australia has long history of left handed champions. (Grumble, grumble...) ;)

Fred is up there for sure! Don't know exactly how many titles Fred has won in the past, but I know it's lots...

I remember a few years ago, fred turned up to bowl the scratch league on a Thursday night, & he forgot to bring his gear with him. So he borrowed a pair of shoes & some bowling balls of another lefty in the house, and he shot 970+ !! with borrowed gear!!!

He makes the game look extremely easy!!

Why would a lefty want to try and score on the right for?:p

Oh wait, maybe just to prove to all you whinging righties that its not that hard:p

Exactly. If only we whinging righties could throw it with all the power of a backup ball, we could play all those fried heads easily!

God, WE MUST BE SO STUPID! :D

It was over 20 years ago. Bowling was another game altogether.

Exactly. If only we whinging righties could throw it with all the power of a backup ball, we could play all those fried heads easily!

God, WE MUST BE SO STUPID! :D

It was over 20 years ago. Bowling was another game altogether.

Oh GOD!!!!!!!!!!

So many lines.......

So few hours........

LOL;)

Out of all bowlers mentioned, if and I say IF all were on good days, Tony Roderick would take first place. When Tony was on song he was untouchable.

GrantO

I would have to say Atkins, considering the conditions and the equipment he played on i think he would have kicked all yr asses. RIP

Manning and Stoppel are always enjoyable to watch at x-roads, but allsopp seems to take the cake for oz

What about the lefty cranker from Tasmania who could put spectacular turn on the orb his name escapes me at the moment.I reckon he was the biggest hooking Australian lefty i have seen. Not the best lefty but for viewing a ball turn sideways fantastic.

I know he hasnt won heaps of titles but for a young guy Anthony Morell was pretty impressive. Has a high strikes per game average. Is he still bowling. Was very different watching a 2 handed lefty.

Deano

In hindsight I would say Cara Honeychurch and then daylight..........

She was an absolute machine, dominating both here (against men and women) and overseas.

Back
Top Bottom