10 Minutes with SA Lefty Brenton Davy

Jase

Admin
Staff member
TB So of all the sports you could have done as a youngster, why Tenpin Bowling?

BD I tried a bit of everything and found I was of middling ability in everything I tried. Being ultra competitive, even as a kid, I kept looking for something I could excel in. Bowling was only a 3 year fling for me in juniors as I concentrated more on golf. But I always wanted to get back into bowling for some reason.

TB What was your first game as a youngster?

BD All I remember was my first sanctioned game was 39 at Norwood. I couldn't understand why the ball kept hooking in to the right gutter. I was 13.

TB How long was it before you realised you were special and had a real talent for the sport.

BD Not until I moved to Sydney in 1979 and I started bowling again to meet people. I hooked up0 with Andy McKay at the old (and sadly missed) Rockdale Bowl. He took what was my old crappy game and developed something I could be ultra competitive with. What you see now is nothing at all like what it used to be.

TB Some people really have to work at bowling to become talented junior players and others seem to be born with good hand eye coordination which do you think you were?

BD I have always needed to work ultra hard and put in heaps of practice. Anything less than 12 games a week and my technique falls away alarmingly.

TB Which was the first tournament you won as an individual?

BD D Grade Junior All Events in 1973. I still have that trophy too LOL. My first significant win in adults was in 1984 at the Leichhardt Cup where I beat Gary Kee then Steve Lovell in the stepladder who were ranked nos 2 and 3 in Australia at that time. It was a major upset.

TB Do you still get the same buzz winning an event as you did when in junior bowling?

BD Winning never gets old, unlike me. I still get a great buzz out of it.

TB Now you are a top Australian player and one people keep their eye on in events, does the pressure of being who you are to some people affect you in any way.

BD I love being the centre of attention, especially when it’s me and one other in a stepladder. You have the place to yourself with people watching, I love it. I know some people get self conscious and withdrawn in that situation, but I live for that.

TB It’s not known too much but you do a lot within tenpin bowling to help raise the profile of the sport and you also coach beginners. Is coaching something you think you will do more of in the future.

BD I love coaching and plan to do a lot more once my current work load is reduced. 60-65 hours a week at work makes it tough to fit it in but i love working with kids especially because they take you totally on trust.

TB What tournament do you still want to win the most?

BD Without doubt, Rachuig. I am a bit old fashioned i guess, but I still get the greatest buzz out of pulling on the Red, Blue and Gold of SA and would love to win it again before i hang up the Tour Ultras

TB Having played at the highest levels already do you have ambition’s to take it further say maybe the USA Professional bowlers tour or PBA as its known in America.

BD I have played one PBA event, the 2003 US Open. I was competitive on the toughest shot the PBA puts out and I would dearly love to go back again one day, but, realistically I can't see that happening unless i get a chance to give the new Generations Tour (Seniors) a shot in a few years time

TB Would you consider being shrunk into a mobile phone game or a next generation online game?

BD HAHAHA. I would that option no-one would ever use! I mean who would pick *Lefty* - *5 Revs* *Straight*. That would be boring, well except maybe for Frilingos ha-ha.

TB An idea is to have a Pro celebrity Bowler showdown on TV to raise the profile of tenpin bowling and to make Australians aware that we are world leaders in the sport. Who if you had a choice would you love to bowl with.

BD If it were possible to bring him back, Earl Anthony. I bowled with him in an exhibition in about 1989 and that was a great experience.

TB You are a very handsome Man ever thought of a bit of modeling?

BD Only my wife says that! And even then I think it’s only to say the right things.

TB Besides bowling what did you want to be when you were growing up?

BD Gee whiz, I had all sorts of delusions of grandeur, lawyer, sports star, all sorts of things

TB What do you do outside the sport for fun?

BD Spend time with the family. I love playing with my 2 kids, Jay who is 7 and Lee who is 3. I really don't have time for anything else right now.

TB If you were to tell anyone why should they tenpin bowl what would you say?

BD Its a great healthy pastime, you can meet great people and anyone can succeed if they want to put in the time and effort.

TB The sports given you some good friends and let you travel the world, would you say it’s been worth it?

BD Absolutely it has been worth it, I’ve met great people and had some life changing experiences

TB What would be the highlight of your career to date.

BD There has been 2 really. Winning Rachuig in 1987 still ranks as a great milestone in my career from a personal satisfaction. Winning $200,000 at the Manhattan Super classic in 1999 obviously rates up there as well, financially as well as being able to execute under the gun.

TB Boxes or briefs or free for all...

BD Only my wife knows that............

TB Who has been your driving force in your career

BD Two people in the main, firstly my wife Shelley. She has been so supportive of my career in the last 15 years and Andy McKay who persisted with me when everyone else thought I was a lost cause.

Thanks for talking to us next time we do this it will be in the USA in your Hotel room traveling across America on the pro tour we hope.

My pleasure.

Watch out for TotalBowlings next interview

Back
Top Bottom