Looking for Brenton Davey?

Sorry Dave, can you clarify?

You stand left; left of what arrow? (number them from right to left).
You dont bowl backup; how do you bowl? as many revs as you can?
Can you state what arrow/board the ball goes over?
Where does the ball start to move left (the breakpoint, what board does it move when it hits the pocket)

If you could answer these questions, maybe we could help more.
Also; more than 2 people saying its incorrect really does nothing... The two people could be as unaware as yourself, no offence intended.

@Jim; I'm a little confused what your post means however I'm going to take it as a positive ;)

" & I do know which side of the he's pin I'm aiming for.Thanks "

Well, at least that's a start............................... Righthanded - second arrow from the left- not a backup bowler - what's lofting?

Why am I feeling dizzy? Think I'd better stop reading this, I've got to bowl league to-night, and I need time to recover.

@Jim; I'm a little confused what your post means however I'm going to take it as a positive ;)[/quote]

I am agreeing that if a bowler has a reliable way to consistantly spare the 10pin, even if it is unconventional, then DON'T change it.

G'day Ryan,
Sorry mate I must have a different understanding to yourself meaning back up bowler.
Yer I'm right handed when I'm lining up working right to left with the arrows I aim for to roll the ball between the 1&2nd arrows from the right by the time it's mid lane my balls generally heading toward the 4&6 pins if I'm a bit off or the 1/2 1/3 pocket. I try for a 4/5 step approach and my speeds usually about 22-25kph.
Sorry what's bak up bowling? I try and put as many revs as possible on the ball but doesn't generally work out I don't think I release properly but I'm having some coaching for that this w/e.
When my ball hits the break spot generally more so toward 1/3

Wow your feeling dizzy John, sorry to cause this to you maybe some of us aren't as experienced as yourself no need to put others down because of it making them (myself) feel stupid .

1. Max is out of the Tenpin business and yes things went very sour, there's no need to bag him out. Let bigons be bigons. Also, try and restrain from calling names or startinmg any sort of conflict. Even if you think they are not on the forum. This is a friendly environment. let's keep it that way.

2. Clearly Dave is fairly new to this side of bowling, give him a break. Everyone started somewhere.

Dave,

Lofting...generally is when you chuck the ball done the lane a bit before it hits the lane.

Bowling back up - For a right handed bowler is when you hook the ball towards the gutter istead of towards the pins. If that makes sense. some people bowl backup because they physically can only bowl that way. Generally if you bowl backup and try and increase your rev rate, you can do some serious damage to yourself. Highly not recommended IMO.

Kinda like this....

Just asking for injury.

As you are new to bowling with reactives etc. It's hard to get your message across to bowlers with alot more experience and skill level unless you know exactly what's wrong with your release/layout/balls etc.

Best get in contact with Brenton or any other good driller in SA. Sort your balls out, get some coaching advice and expand your knowledge and experience. Then the more experienced bowlers here can help you when you have a better understanding on what the problems in your game are.

And lastly, Welcome to Totalbowling.

Stealing the thread fo a min
I had a young kid come in for some coaching last night
Bowls Fingertip righthander right down 10 board nice reaction into the 1-3
Bowls backup to pick up a 10 pin?????

When you say bowls back-up, do you mean covers a fair amount of boards at the tenpin bowling back-up? Or simply get's one or two rotations that barely influences the ball direction??

Cow

Dave84,

Back-up bowling is when a right hander bowler, such as yourself, makes the ball hooks from left to right. It doesn't have to be aimed at any place in particular, just the revolutions on the ball are turning clockwise, as opposed to the anti clockwise revolutions that a majority of right handers get, which cause the ball to hook from right to left.

Lofting is placing an upward force on the ball to get it further out onto the lane then normal. The videos I posted are very extreme measures of lofting. It's an advanced technique usually used to combat drying oil patterns. Some professionals loft all the time (Mika K) while others such has Fagan, Osku and Belmo are very very good at it and can call on it at any time to get a few more pins.

Hope that helps to clear up some of terminology that you hadn't heard before.

And as for incorrect layouts. Unless your friends know your Rev rate, axis, tilt, PAP and ball speed, they really have no place to comment on the correctness of your layout. Everyone is different, Every release is different. Every ball drilled is different. What works for you, may not work for me. Doesn't make it wrong. Makes it different.

Cheers, Cow

Dave;

Fantastic! You are a 'stroker' :). You bowl down the right hand side of the lane and the ball moves into the pocket. Great!

So you want to move your feet further left? Get something which moves a little bit more? Brando can definatly help you with this by hooking you up with a polished ball, pin up, with a nice snapping movement at the breakpoint. :)

@Jim; exactly what I am talking about! :)

Good question cow.

Do you mean Nev he almost bowls straight at it? Surely he doesn't rev it up like a lefty shooting at it?

Dave84 said, 1. “I’m a 22-25kph, right-handed bowler. I aim for the second arrow in from the far left and aim to hit the 1/2 1/3 pocket”. 2. “Also I am not a backup bowler and I’m not able to get enough rev’s on the ball”.
I suggest to you, Dave84, not to be disheartened by the few, taking the Mickey out of you but instead, feel elated and overjoyed at seeking the advice of Brenton Davey, which by the way is an excellent choice to make for having a bowling ball drilled….But wait….there is more. I do recall hearing of an American bowler - I think his name is Shane Sprints and comes from Tennessee - he by happenchance also bowls right handed, aims and hits about the second arrow in from the far left and hooks the ball into the 1/2 pocket. He is not a backup bowler. He does not loft the ball over the capping and holds an average of about 190….But wait….there is more. This amazingly hard to understand and also very mysterious and extra- ordinary event occurred, as a dare one day in his hometown bowling alley. He was a right handed bowler with an average of about150 for a number of seasons when he accepted the dare. He moved to the left on the approach and aimed at the 1/2 pocket….Lo and behold instant success. He liked the change and has been doing it ever since.

Hi Dave,
Sorry if my comments offended you, especially if you are new to the sport. Unfortunately you will see more instant experts in bowling than almost any other sport, which is a shame as there is a huge amount of info available on drilling and layouts available online if you want it. The fact is, until you learn to hit the same area of the lane consistently, a layout won't help you. As others in the thread have noted, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with the pin placement you describe; to determine what this layout will do for you you need your rev rate, axis rotation, axis tilt, PAP measurements and the lanes and conditions you bowl on.
Brenton is an excellent driller (especially if you're a lefty, lol) with a great deal of knowledge about the sport. If you want to learn more about the sport under your own steam, I recommend the bowling chat website (google it), which has a great deal of technical info and some very patient people willing to explain it. There is also a section where you can post a video of yourself bowling and be analysed by some very good coaches. Many other online resources are also available, including this site, and another with a lot of tips for all levels of bowlers is Ron Clifton's 'bowl4fun' site.
Don't worry about revs until your accuracy improves. Work on that first.
Good luck.

Thanks very much Rob, no was really too offended just a bit like I'm ok I did nothing wrong. It's all good mate no sweat! Hope your well- ye I been a straight bowler for 4-5 years now making the transition- that's awesome I can post a video maybe ill send it to your self a few other friends I've made here.
Your spot on that's what in practicing on at the moment just trying hit the same spot everytime :)

When you say bowls back-up, do you mean covers a fair amount of boards at the tenpin bowling back-up? Or simply get's one or two rotations that barely influences the ball direction??

Cow

Good question cow.

Do you mean Nev he almost bowls straight at it? Surely he doesn't rev it up like a lefty shooting at it?

No He actually bowls the same line just rotates his wrist clockwise

Creating Bad Muscle memory IMO

Then complains of a sore wrist

But hes a 16 yo Kid I'm just a coach what would I know ( Just ask Him) LOL

Back
Top Bottom