• Yes its ok with me

Votes: 19 10.7%
  • No they shouldnt be allowed

Votes: 118 66.3%
  • Really dont care, people can do whatever they want

Votes: 41 23.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A few trivial reasons why they shouldnt be I guess, voids contact with others bowlers, possible OHS issues and could be listening to mental assistance tracks to help their game to gain an advantage, much akin to bowlers using wristguards I suppose.

Few trivial reasons, but I honestly dont see what purpose they serve especially when worn whilst bowling. IMO it is a sh*t look and if bowling is that boring they have to be listening to music instead of talking to other bowlers or concentrating on what they are doing, best idea is to look for another sport to play.

OMG that is beautiful !!!! Love your work

A private message also pointed out that youth started wearing headphones to block out the older bowlers whinging about the pattern, the lanes, the balls, the approach......or giving them advise on how to bowl.

Of course everyone has their own views. If you have seen your kids do homework with the computer on facebook / msn, the tv on, (music) earphone in and writing in a text book you realise they are well into multi-tasking.

I have asked John Coxon to rule on this. As tournament director you can have stipulations in the rules of the individual tournament but need to be in line with the governing body for accreditation.

Leanne

Yep. Some race horses have "blinkers" to stop from being distracted by other horses. Would love to see bowlers wearing these. :D

There is a certain bowler who has made his own blinkers & wears them all the time, i'm kinda hoping he reads this read & see's my comments, he'll know i'm only poking fun, but I agree, I don't see the harm in "blinkers" if it helps you shut out distractions, besides, the blinkers don't stop this bowler from interacting with everyone else on the lanes, so I have no issue with them, other than, they may look a little funny :p:p:p

:cool:

First and foremost I think it is an etiquette thing!

People wearing them can get lost in relation to when it is your turn to bowl.

Second and almost as important as Mick said, the image it portrays in relation to the sport and as Walshy touched on about the unprofessional look it brings, all rings true to me in my opinion.

I believe TBA should rule on these and ban this at a tournament level, setting a trend hopefully to outlaw it in league play potentially as well.

Just not professional, socially acceptable and certainly not good etiquette on the lanes!

A private message also pointed out that youth started wearing headphones to block out the older bowlers whinging about the pattern, the lanes, the balls, the approach......or giving them advise on how to bowl.
I can't help but be amused, have to wonder what sort of mental game they are developing if they need to be able to ignore everyone else in the bowl just to concentrate.

This happens in every sport in every part of the world, older established players giving the up n comers a usually good natured but hard time or being in a foreign state, country and the home supporters giving the opposing out of town players a pasting. Just look at opposing fans in say sports like the AFL or EPL.

Wonder what these kids would have done if they had of copped a Lovey spray when he was in his blow dryer spray giving heydays?

Hopefully John gets back to you, obviously from the poll response it would appear to be a reasonable issue with the tournament playing bowling community. Be interesting to find out and would make your job easier Leanne, one less bit of rubbish to worry about.

Yes, I think it's more an etiquette problem, probably on a similar level to giving other competitors a 'spray'. Probably relieves the tension, or shifts it to someone else, in either case.

If the sport wants to viewed as a serious sport then I would say no.

I really doubt that bowlers listening to music would be the first thing non bowlers would come up with why tenpin is a game and not a sport.

On the OH & S side of not wearing the headphones, I'm surprised that people aren't wearing some form of hearing protection, bowling alleys can be quite loud.

I believe there are more important issues in Australia than to worry about whether a bowler wears earphones or not.

When representing their country or bowling in an international event I would be surprised if a bowler even considered wearing earphones. When bowling in a local or national event, it should simply be their choice.

:):):)

There is a certain bowler who has made his own blinkers & wears them all the time, i'm kinda hoping he reads this read & see's my comments, he'll know i'm only poking fun, but I agree, I don't see the harm in "blinkers" if it helps you shut out distractions, besides, the blinkers don't stop this bowler from interacting with everyone else on the lanes, so I have no issue with them, other than, they may look a little funny :p:p:p

:cool:

It would be even funnier if wearing blinkers requires having a jockey on your back!!:eek:

Hey Guys,

I heard a very interesting comment on the weekend about bowlers that wear ear phones.

One bowler said the following, "you walk up to them and tell them exactly how much you dislike them and they simply smile and nod without a clue of what you have said so long as you remember to smile when you say it."

Funny...

Hey Guys,

I heard a very interesting comment on the weekend about bowlers that wear ear phones.

One bowler said the following, "you walk up to them and tell them exactly how much you dislike them and they simply smile and nod without a clue of what you have said so long as you remember to smile when you say it."

Funny...

You don't really need headphones to be able to smile when someone says they dislike you :)

Doesnt bother me in the slightest. While I do find it extremely rude ignoring everyone else on the lanes, I certainly dont lose any sleep over it.

I do however wonder about the mental game of other bowlers that do find a problem with it. Thought there would be more important things to worry about while bowling in a tournament than worrying about what someone else has stuffed in there ear.

From my observation. The people i've seen wearing earphone's while bowling are generally people who wouldn't really go out of their way to talk to you if they weren't wearing them. Whether its through being 'shy/quite' or 'arrogant' it doesnt really bother me. Personally I find it hard to distinguish between the two most of the time.

I do agree it looks unprofessional for anything above a local tournament which could attract anything from and above a public audience.

On a bit of a tangent here, but read on and you'll pick up the relevance.

Of course everyone has their own views. If you have seen your kids do homework with the computer on facebook / msn, the tv on, (music) earphone in and writing in a text book you realise they are well into multi-tasking.

Multi-tasking is a myth. For those of you (like me) who always suspected it, the latest neuroscience clearly shows that the human mind can do one thing well at any point in time. What is apparently "multi-tasking" is in fact, fragmented attention. Think about conversations you've had with someone using a computer for something unrelated to your subject. They are usually quite absent and miss whole chunks of what you say.

Your mind can switch very quickly from one task to another, to another, but this switching takes longer each time and requires inordinate amounts of energy by way of blood sugar. Only slightly less so for tasks so well learned that the neural pathways are strong.

Basically, as your mind switches repeatedly you are expending a great deal of mental energy and depleting your available stores of glucose, as well as messing up brain chemistry, leading to fatigue and even stress. The ability to absorb information from each thread is reduced accordingly.

The old adage "He who sips of many arts drinks fully of none." still holds true.

You don't need to believe me, these guys sum it up nicely...
BBC
Scientific American
Lifehacker

Cheers,
Jason

It doesn't bother me too much. It's no secret that Sam wears them, but he has never blown me off when I've talked to him during a tournament. Actually, judging by how quickly he has responded at times, I'd say he hears more then you think he does.

I personally don't think the 'ignorant' issue is all together relevant. Like I've said to some other people lately, when I'm bowling in a tournament, the first and most important thing on my mind is whats happening on the lanes, then, and only then, on being sociable. If I'm not comfortable on the lanes then I'm unlikely to be any more sociable then those wearing earphones, I'll keep to myself and people will probably think I'm an ignorant bastard for not having my hand out ready for your tenpin spare.

In individual tournaments, as far as I'm concerned, it's up to the bowler. In team tournaments, it's a different matter.

Cow

It doesn't bother me too much. It's no secret that Sam wears them, but he has never blown me off when I've talked to him during a tournament. Actually, judging by how quickly he has responded at times, I'd say he hears more then you think he does.

I personally don't think the 'ignorant' issue is all together relevant. Like I've said to some other people lately, when I'm bowling in a tournament, the first and most important thing on my mind is whats happening on the lanes, then, and only then, on being sociable. If I'm not comfortable on the lanes then I'm unlikely to be any more sociable then those wearing earphones, I'll keep to myself and people will probably think I'm an ignorant bastard for not having my hand out ready for your tenpin spare.

In individual tournaments, as far as I'm concerned, it's up to the bowler. In team tournaments, it's a different matter.

Cow

well said cow.

Back
Top Bottom