• No they shouldnt be allowed

Votes: 118 66.3%
  • Really dont care, people can do whatever they want

Votes: 41 23.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
I dont see how people can do it.... hopefully its just a matter of time before TBA introduce a rule stopping this like they have done overseas some International events.

There are also Workplace Health and Safety issues to take into account, not to mention the frustrating point when bowlers have to be nudged to bowl because they are off with the fairies and you cant speak to them.

Do you think they should be allowed during competition?

This same question was an issue several years ago.

Voicing ones opinion back then got many peoples back up.

Workplace Health and Safety DO NOT allow headphones for tradies when working on Goverment sites.

Mrs P

G'Day,

OK, I will probably offend here. Again not my intension to do so just voicing the opinion from a frustrated father's point of view.

So, like I say to my 17 year old son. It is rude to ignore those around you if you are part of a group, so share the company you are with.

If you don't like the company then don't turn up or go to another room and don't make us look at you ignoring us and showing a complete lack of respect for the people around you.

It is just good old fashion common courtesy and respect to your fellow bowlers.

So again, sorry if I have offended, it is not my intension just my point of view.

Ron Spitiri always bowled with a radio in his ear. Who cares, This is so old, its before most of you were born , you are worried about it now?.Its been going since 1968 in Australia just ask Ron he lives on the Gold Coast.
Andy Mckay

Hi Andy,

I remember Ron being pinned for gambling and lock up for a few hours. When given his one call. He did not ring home, he rang the bowl to change his squad.

On a personal note I could not do it. I wouldn't be able to concentrate on bowling while listening to music.

Others.... Well they can do it, doesn't bother me so much. I mean if I'm thinking thoughts like "how annoying is it that this guy is listening to music" then I'm not focusing on my own game. As long as they are up to bowl when it's their shot I simply do not care.

I find it very extremely rude if this case go like that. Bowling as in a team and group is always interact. Lack of social interaction is common issue on my side personally.

I think I read somewhere on a Tournament notice here in Australia that Headphones and the like will not be tolerated as by the rules of the tournament set down by the TBA.
It should be on the same line as mobile phones... Switched off during play.

I am like John and I hope I don't offend anyone.

Cheers
Lyndon

I dont find it an issue at all. Those who wear them dont create any unfair audible noise which could put people off so really its not a problem.

cheers
Paul T

A few trivial reasons why they shouldnt be I guess, voids contact with others bowlers, possible OHS issues and could be listening to mental assistance tracks to help their game to gain an advantage, much akin to bowlers using wristguards I suppose.

Few trivial reasons, but I honestly dont see what purpose they serve especially when worn whilst bowling. IMO it is a sh*t look and if bowling is that boring they have to be listening to music instead of talking to other bowlers or concentrating on what they are doing, best idea is to look for another sport to play.

A few trivial reasons why they shouldnt be I guess, voids contact with others bowlers, possible OHS issues and could be listening to mental assistance tracks to help their game to gain an advantage, much akin to bowlers using wristguards I suppose.

Few trivial reasons, but I honestly dont see what purpose they serve especially when worn whilst bowling. IMO it is a sh*t look and if bowling is that boring they have to be listening to music instead of talking to other bowlers or concentrating on what they are doing, best idea is to look for another sport to play.

As far as I know the motivational tapes cannot be converted to an MP3 format, but who would listen to that rubbish anyway.

Depends on the genre of music the player listens to, the beat of it can calm or work up a player. I guess it really takes practice over time to better understand why it can be useful.

As far as I know the motivational tapes cannot be converted to an MP3 format, but who would listen to that rubbish anyway.

Depends on the genre of music the player listens to, the beat of it can calm or work up a player. I guess it really takes practice over time to better understand why it can be useful.

You would be surprised at what people listen too, but if bowlers want to listen to music to calm or pump them up, do it before you bowl and if they cant keep focused, pumped or calm whilst actually bowling, then whoever needs to work on their mental game.

As I have said, IMO it is a sh*t look and also doesnt do the sport any image favours either, much like a bunch of supposed athletes hanging out the front puffing away on their ciggies. Dont see golfers walking around with headphones in or just about any other sport whilst actually competing.

I have to admit that I did try it for a while last year, but there were several other issues going on in my head at that time last year and while I enjoyed bowling, I didnt really want to associate with some people and the music helped me to tune them out. It actually didnt really help with bowling at all and I am not sure what some people do get from it. I found the headphones annoying while getting ready for bowling and having to tuck them into your shirt, which then was annoying because it would start to rub on your skin and make it itch. It looks bad and people start to avoid you, which is fine for some people but not myself.

As Michael said, if bowling wants to be taken seriously, we cant allow this to happen during competition. Other sports dont do it, sure you might see atheletes using the music before a race but I have never actually seen another sport where a competitor is using outside tools while in competition.

Its not about offending people, and if I have, thats not my problem. It might actually be worth it to take this to TBA and see if there is anything in the rules or try and put something in the rules like other sports have. Its time to get serious about showcasing bowling as a viable sport, both for marketing and possibly trying to get inclusion into the IOC's list of choices for the Olympics.

Just my two cents, as I said, anyone who doesnt like it can raise it with me but you arent going to make me change my mind. Before you jump down my throat, as I said earlier I have tried it and it made no difference at all, in fact it was probably detrimental to me because I was focused on singing the music while I was bowling than actually paying attention to my game and the flaws I was picking up from not focusing.

Eh, let them do it. 95% of the time subconciously they'll be following the tempo of the music they are listening to, once a song changes, along with the tempo - OOPS, they wonder why they didn't strike. O: Advantage to their competitiors really.

I have always had a view similar to John's in that it is bad manners in my view to shut yourself off from others around you.

Surely part of bowling for all of us, in both tournaments and league is the social interaction that should be able to take place. Just imagine if no one spoke to anyone, we would never make friends.

One measure I put on these things is.......What would it be like if we all did it?...

If the answer is it would make things worse then we should not do it. Simple as that in my book.

Finally, I don't think it is a positive in the way we should be trying to promote the "sport" of bowling.

Cheers all.

I remember bowling against Jay Nephew in the A Game in 2007 which he went on to win wearing headphones after the Megabucks changed the rule that you couldn't wear headphones as it made the game look unprofessional. Anyone who has bowled the Megabucks would know that if they think that its unprofessional than it must look really bad cos you can pretty much do whatever you want in those events!

You don't see any other players in sports wearing headphones, and bowlers wonder why the game can't grow...

It doesn't usually bother me so much, if others are wearing headphones, I don't use them myself. But I do tend to have a song in my a lot of the time when I bowl, no song in particular, it may just be one i've heard on the radio on the way to the bowl, or I may see a music video while bowling, and then begin singing/humming along to that song in my head whilst I bowl.

I find it helpful in that regard, as I tend not to worry about the scoreboard, just focus on my next shot. Again, it doesn't really bother me if others are using headphones, as long as they have their shot in time, etc...

But, I did vote no to the poll question, as I do believe they shouldn't be allowed in a tournament, not for distraction reasons or anything, I just feel that tournaments should also be about interacting with your fellow bowlers, and if they have headphones in all day, it can make for a boring 10 games....

Back
Top Bottom