• Yes its ok with me

Votes: 19 10.7%
  • No they shouldnt be allowed

Votes: 118 66.3%
  • Really dont care, people can do whatever they want

Votes: 41 23.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As far as I know the motivational tapes cannot be converted to an MP3 format, but who would listen to that rubbish anyway.

Sam, any data file of any kind, can be converted to any other format at all. There is also plenty of equipment around that will let you convert cassette tapes, VHS Video Tapes, Vynil Records, etc, to MP3/MPEG, or whatever you like.. Nothing's impossible when google is around lol

A few trivial reasons why they shouldnt be I guess, voids contact with others bowlers, possible OHS issues and could be listening to mental assistance tracks to help their game to gain an advantage, much akin to bowlers using wristguards I suppose.[/quote]

I love the little jab given there by Mick regarding wristguards...little disappointed there was no bite back to this...especially from the mastermind behind this thread :)

As for the topic at hand....my only opinion on the matter is how it makes bowling look as many have already outlined.

A few trivial reasons why they shouldnt be I guess, voids contact with others bowlers, possible OHS issues and could be listening to mental assistance tracks to help their game to gain an advantage, much akin to bowlers using wristguards I suppose.[/quote]

I love the little jab given there by Mick regarding wristguards...little disappointed there was no bite back to this...especially from the mastermind behind this thread :)

As for the topic at hand....my only opinion on the matter is how it makes bowling look as many have already outlined.

Mate I was quite dirty noone picked up on it, especially ol Georgio, robocop arm Frilingos, aside from headphones looking bad, that was the main reason for my post.

Wristguards / Coverstock Composition / Weightblocks designed to roll out of balance while maintaining static balance, Easier Pins / Fancy Flat Gutters and Kickbacks.
And we haven't even touched on lane conditioning.

Get with it, I'm told, " the game has changed, Jim."

OK then, let's be consistant.

Surely we can't critisise any of these things without critisising all of them.

By the way, does anyone know what brand of cheater ball any of these top people use? Surely they shouldn't go to such lengths to hide it from us?

Sam, any data file of any kind, can be converted to any other format at all. There is also plenty of equipment around that will let you convert cassette tapes, VHS Video Tapes, Vynil Records, etc, to MP3/MPEG, or whatever you like.. Nothing's impossible when google is around lol

Well...I got nothing to reply with that :)

It doesn't affect the way I bowl so I couldn't care less. Ok... I'll be the first to bite about the wrist guards, I would rather bowl without one but need to at the moment after wrist surgery until I get the strength back in it. Would that still be an unfair advantage or not?

It doesn't affect the way I bowl so I couldn't care less. Ok... I'll be the first to bite about the wrist guards, I would rather bowl without one but need to at the moment after wrist surgery until I get the strength back in it. Would that still be an unfair advantage or not?

Lol, was just having a friendly dig at my mate George, both Jarrod and myself have this discussion with him on our travels just for a few laughs, I am sure there is a place in the game for a wristguard and it would be very difficult for those that currently rely on wristguards to suddenly learn to bowl without one, harder to correct poor muscle memory at a later age etc.

I would think that in your case, it could be useful as a training aide for practice and league to build up strength again, especially if you dont want to stop bowling altogether atm, but probably not for tournaments. Everyones opinion will be different and it will probably never happen. The only off shoot is to possibly remove the robo cop style ones where they provide instant hook by changing the dial and the only ones allowed are the straight wrist support with no adjustment available, a compromise of sorts I suppose.

But until they put headphones into wristguards like some sort of Ipod set up, then it probably isnt really relevant to topic haha. (Maybe I should patent that before Apple does lol)

But until they put headphones into wristguards like some sort of Ipod set up, then it probably isnt really relevant to topic haha. (Maybe I should patent that before Apple does lol)

You could call it the Rock & Roll Wristguard (roll as i 'Roll' the ball, for the slower people) ....... Made me laugh anyway!

As for the headphones during play, i voted "I dont care" but i've come across 1 or 2 fellows who will remain nameless, who completely ignore their surroundings and people, with the exception of friends between games.
As a new bowler to tournaments and the like, it made me feel out of place bowling a block with somebody who didnt even look at me.

Lol, was just having a friendly dig at my mate George

It's all good... Was more asking than biting and I'm sure it's been flogged to death on here before as well... ( the whole wrist guard debate) But the idea about the iPod wrist thingy sound like a good one, you could even have a flip up screen to watch crap on in between shots.

This same question was an issue several years ago.

Voicing ones opinion back then got many peoples back up.

Workplace Health and Safety DO NOT allow headphones for tradies when working on Goverment sites.

Mrs P

And just where does it say they are not allowed? According to OH&S Acts/Regs etc you have to assess the risks and deal with any issues appropriately. As far as I am aware it does not deal with specific issues.

And just where does it say they are not allowed? According to OH&S Acts/Regs etc you have to assess the risks and deal with any issues appropriately. As far as I am aware it does not deal with specific issues.

Individual job sites seem to police stereos and iPods on job sites their own way. They are a definite no, no on any real job site. It is an OH&S issue and relates to an individual’s ability to identify a risk and their inability to hear the risk.

As far as bowling with them in, personally I think it is a bit rude and a little condescending.

Rob

You should definitely patent that Mick! I don't use a wrist guard, but if it had iPod connectivity & a little screen.... Who knows!!! lol

It could just take off! :p

The social changes for the young in Australia are reflected everywhere, including on the lanes.

Get on a bus for the city and you will see half the commuters with ipods /players on, same on train, plane etc. People use earpieces for the phone, and don't take them off, use extensively during running, studying and learning - the list goes on.

I have instructed all tournaments, especially the junior/youth, that only one earpiece will be accepted for safety reasons. I am hoping TBA will make a ruling for tournaments and solve the problem for me.

Some feel there is an advantage with headphones but the same can be said about wrist guards, eye covers etc.

Leanne

The social changes for the young in Australia are reflected everywhere, including on the lanes.

Get on a bus for the city and you will see half the commuters with ipods /players on, same on train, plane etc. People use earpieces for the phone, and don't take them off, use extensively during running, studying and learning - the list goes on.

I have instructed all tournaments, especially the junior/youth, that only one earpiece will be accepted for safety reasons. I am hoping TBA will make a ruling for tournaments and solve the problem for me.

Some feel there is an advantage with headphones but the same can be said about wrist guards, eye covers etc.

Leanne

This is true, however people have been listening to walkmans, portable cd players, then ipods forever, but people never bowled with a cd walkman hanging off their hip, it has just made it easy and more portable with the size of ipods etc at present to now do so, however the descriptions as above have been generally accepted in day to day life for many years now, noone really cares if you dont talk to the person on the bus or plane next to you whereas it is a perceived as a bit anti social if you never interact with your fellow bowlers on the lanes because you are tuned into whatever you are listening too.

So it can be seen as a bit different competing in a sporting event. With the purpose of this topic, I think it should be looked at as a comparison thing compared to other sports, some general common sense applied and as a sport on the whole, what is acceptable standards and what image does the sport want to present?

Another question to ask I guess, and at this stage a hypothetical one at that. To those that wear earphones whilst bowling, say bowling found a place on prime time television, would they then continue to wear the earphones on a tv telecast if bowling on it? How would that image be portrayed by the general public and what effect would this have in promoting the sport?

I can imagine it would be hard as a tournament director to enforce anything at the moment Leanne, would be nice if there was a specific ruling to make your life easier, wonder if anyone has directed this onto John Coxon or anyone else in the TBA if they have genuine interest or concern about it?

You're not allowed to listen to ipods at events such as World Womens, Youth & Men or really any of the international events so the rules should be kept the same everywhere.

Hmmm... I used to wear a Walkman cassette player as a young bloke, but to be honest, it just got annoying. Troyza is on the money regarding rhythm disturbances. And, yes, I'm with the guys who find this behaviour to be socially ignorant. I know a fellow who wears them all the time and I feel it's a shame, as he's a nice bloke.

But the wristguard with built-in mp3/dv player and screen, Farcebook access and SMS capability and integrated 360 grit Abralon pad might get George on side.

Ron Spitiri always bowled with a radio in his ear. Who cares, This is so old, its before most of you were born , you are worried about it now?.Its been going since 1968 in Australia just ask Ron he lives on the Gold Coast.
Andy Mckay

Not always I saw him throw one up against a wall at Hurstville one day
Must of lost that horse race

Back
Top Bottom