"Damage to bowling balls on Flights"

How much of the damage should the company be responsible for??

• Total voters

}-Adam-{

iLuZoN
A person who i know has recently had damage to there bowling balls on a flight, they were carrying a storm 2 ball tote bag with 2 balls in it. sometime between checking them in and recieving them, both balls had a chunk out of them. 3-4 inches long 1/2 - 1 inch wide and 1/4 inch deep... but strangely enough no damage what so ever to the tote bag.. I ask how is this possible, and if it isnt possible why is it that "the company" will take no action to replace or even help in the replacement of there gear.

The way i see it, there is no way that the balls could have taken a blow with the force that is required to damage them to this extent without cutting throught the bag!!

My question is should the "company" be responsible for the cost of repair or replacement, either full or partial, of there bowling balls. I leave it to you guys to decide.

The way i see it, there is no way that the balls could have taken a blow with the force that is required to damage them to this extent without cutting throught the bag!!
Interesting comment Adam....... Consider this, Is the pressure difference and temperature change the balls are subjected to while in the cargo hold significant enough to cause this sort of damage?
I have read many aticles on the effect of bowling balls from temerature changes, in short, they don't like it. I can only assume that pressure could do the same thing.
Food for thought.

}-Adam-{ said:
My question is should the "company" be responsible for the cost of repair or replacement, either full or partial, of there bowling balls. I leave it to you guys to decide.

I think you've answered your own question Adam. As I see it, there are only two ways in which these bowling balls could've been damaged in the manner you described.

1) Balls could have come out of the bags and either rolled on a rough surface or fallen thus causing the damage. Bowling bags need to be securely LOCKED!
2) There were already damaged before being checked as baggage.

In either scenario the airline is NOT responsible and should not have to provide compensation.

A helpful hint to everyone who checks bowling equipment onto an airplane...Fill up all empty space between the balls and the top and sides of the bowling bag with towels or other clothing as cushioning, thus limiting your chances of sustaining damage to your equipment

PS...Not exactly sure about how the airline rules work here in Australia, but in the USA your checked bowling balls are transported at your own risk.

Agreed, but what happens if the baggage handler opens up your luggage to check for illegal cargo and accidentally drops one of the balls onto hard concrete?

Is it possible to have people check your bag while you are watching? This way there is absolute proof that the equipment wasn't damaged beforehand and everything therefore rests with the company. Unless there is an 'at your own risk' clause.

Interesting topic though

}-Adam-{ said:
sometime between checking them in and recieving them, both balls had a chunk out of them. 3-4 inches long 1/2 - 1 inch wide and 1/4 inch deep... but strangely enough no damage what so ever to the tote bag.

Were both balls damaged in the same way (eg shape, dimensions)?

i dont have a photo of the damage. as they arent my balls, but i can try and get my friend to send me some, the damage wasnt there before he got on the plane, i know that myself. temprature change didnt cause this damage, as that would have sepearted the different layers of the coverstock. they are roughly the same width but the depth and length are different. i have the same sort of tote bag and i know that i cant just roll the balls out of it, u have to use a bit of force to get them out, and also you have to have the zippers absolutely fully open to get a ball out of it.

If you have an old ball at home, try using a metal object such as a chisel and hitting the coverstock with it, just with you hand, and see how little damage that it does

wchester said:
1) Balls could have come out of the bags and either rolled on a rough surface or fallen thus causing the damage. Bowling bags need to be securely LOCKED!
2) There were already damaged before being checked as baggage.
In either scenario the airline is NOT responsible and should not have to provide compensation.
Thats all well and good to say lock your bags but in this day and age if your bag is locked Customs or AQIS will distroy the lock the zipper or even the bag itself to check what is inside. The airline should be responsable for the damage they cause. It is called "DUTY OF CARE"

Great question & I am sure there are 50 different answers.....My answer is to have the appropriate insurance cover (personal effects under your contents policy)...You will find most will cover sporting equipment whilst not in use...

It's sad that in today society that people have no respect for anybody elses property these days...

Towie said:
Thats all well and good to say lock your bags but in this day and age if your bag is locked Customs or AQIS will distroy the lock the zipper or even the bag itself to check what is inside. The airline should be responsable for the damage they cause. It is called "DUTY OF CARE"

This depends who is carrying the luggage in my view.

Why?

Because Virgin don't charge excess for sporting equipment. This is a pretty good reason to me for not taking ANY responsibility. If you don't want this policy to change, then I'd recommend not mentioning it to Virgin.

If it was Qantas or Jetstar, by all means have a go at them, because they DO have excess charges on sporting equipment.

I personally had a brand new tote bag damaged on a Virgin flight, one Zip was smashed and can't be opened at all. But I didn't take it up with Virgin because they do us bowlers a pretty sweet deal, and I'm not willing to take a chance sacrificing that.

Yes in your friend's case it was different damage, but still, to me same sort of policy.

Easy tiger how often do you fly ?

As I am sure there are bowlers who travel a fair bit that will tell you they have been charged for excess by Virgin, its the luck of the draw sometimes you get chaged, sometimes you dont.

Kellie said:
As I am sure there are bowlers who travel a fair bit that will tell you they have been charged for excess by Virgin, its the luck of the draw sometimes you get chaged, sometimes you dont.

All you have to do is call Virgin after you have made your internet booking - tell them what you are taking and they will NEVER charge you excess baggage for your bowling gear. You can take 6 balls, roller bag and tote and they class it as 5kg total - if you tell them in advance.

I'm with you Timmy, for what they do for us, for the sake of a tote bag, let it go. I might be inclined tho' if there was extreme damage to several balls, but if they could be repaired - again, be thankful.

Max

If any gets charged by Virgin for excess with sporting equipment they should simple suggest that the check-in person to refer to their own policy. It clearly states each piece of sporting equipment accounts for 5 kg of the luggage allocation. (regardless of the actual weight) So, carry two double bowling bags, 5 kg for each. You are allowed 20 kg, so you've still got 10kg for other luggage. That policy is on the Virgin website, and I just happen to carry a copy of the appropriate page with me when flying by Virgin. But they are generally pretty good I find.
Getting back to the topic of damage to equipment, I had some damage to my bags when flying with the other major air carrier last year when going to Perth. I pointed out the damage and was given authority to get it fixed when I got back to Adelaide. All fixed - no charge.

The only airline I'd never travel with for a bowling trip would be Jetstar. After hearing of the NQ youth team this year being charged a total in excess of $600 for excess baggage after Qantas swapped their flight. Virgin are great with sporting equipment. I've had my non bowling bag weigh more than 10kgs before, and Virgin have classed ALL bowling bags as a total of 5kgs. They're great for travelling etc.

Even Qantas is a good airline to travel with for tournaments. Sure they might charge excess baggage, but its only an $11 fee. $11 is a small price to pay for the free meals on the plane, and the best, and safest, service on offer in Australia!!

If bowling balls are supposedly damaged during a flight, unless there is a huge amount of proof that damage was done during transit, then the airline is NOT responsible for any damage sustained... Their argument will be that the damage was there before take-off and no responsibilty will be held on their part!

Easy Tiger said:
I personally had a brand new tote bag damaged on a Virgin flight, one Zip was smashed and can't be opened at all. But I didn't take it up with Virgin because they do us bowlers a pretty sweet deal, and I'm not willing to take a chance sacrificing that.
Yes in your friend's case it was different damage, but still, to me same sort of policy.
I also had a tote with the same problem after returning from Perth. I did take the matter up with Virgin though, because I didnt think it was fair that I fork out another $60-$70 for a new bag when I was not the one that broke it.
When I took it to the 'Baggage Blues' dept at the airport, and we busted the bag open, we found that my Bronze had in fact been damaged due to the bag being smashed up. They got me a new bag, however the ball was not covered. Aside from that Virgin are certainly the best in regards to carrying bowling balls, I have never had a problem with them, and highly recommend them.
I flew with Qantas to and from Melb for Camp, and was done excess on the way there. Had to fork out $22. The person who checked me in on the way home however, was much nicer about it and let me off. With Qantas it depends on the person on the day I reckon.
And as people have already said...never fly with Jetstar!! Talking to a few bowlers this past w/e for Hobart Cup, prices such as $280 in excess were charged.

I've taken my 3 ball bag on a couple of QANTAS flights now, from Sydney to Brisbane & from Sydney to Melbounre. On both times I was not charged any excess, as they told me the limit was 30kg & my bag weighed 27kgs. I neveer sustained any damage to either balls or the bag during these flights. I'd recommend qantas.

Kellie said:

Kellie I travel interstate quite often, so I think I am experienced enough at tournament travelling to make my statement, I'm usually away at least once a month.

Tell them to go and have a read of Virgin's own luggage conditions. For any that are too lazy to find it themselves, here is the link - http://www.virginblue.com.au/helpInfo/faqs/questions/73/Can-I-take-my-sporting-equipment%3F

If anyone has paid excess for sporting equipment and you have no more than 4 pieces of check-in luggage, you've been ripped off. Read the rules, state the case and show them their own rules if necessary (I've had to do that with one girl before who was quite adament I was wrong.. she had to eat her words after I made her go and ask her supervisor).

Timothy,

I must have been ripped off then, and so were the others traveling with me.

The question was I asked how often you fly, the reason why I asked is because usually when there is an interstate tournament on I look at the results, cant say I have seen your name down in many that’s why I asked, so before you go giving me your smartarse answer, read my post first, cause in my post I cant say see where I said your weren’t experienced enough to have a say on this topic, but hey you say you travel at least once a month, so I take it you are very experienced then, I dont travel interstate every month, so you must be so much more experienced than myself.

Yes, Kellie...you and the others paid for excess baggage when if fact you didn't have to.

Thank you Tim for providing all bowlers who read this forum with the actual Virgin Blue rule on sporting equipment as baggage. I for one will never worry again whether or not I'll get pinged for excess baggage when transporting my bowling equipment.

Waynothy Chester

I've never personally been charged for excess baggage either by Virgin or QANTAS. I do generally fly with Virgin and never had a major problem. I usually just tell them straight up it's sporting equipment and it's heavy. Occasionaly I tell them I would prefer this to go through oversized luggage. One girl didn't even weigh my 3 ball rollers when I asked for this to happen! Excess baggage to me seems like the Airlines money grabbing scheme, anyway.
What disturbs me though, after being in LAX with a window seat watching the luggage handlers getting luggage off a flight that just got in, is how little they care for our stuff. Bag goes down conveyor belt, bag gets thrown into holding trailer, another bag gets thrown on top. I don't want to think how many things have been broken in other peoples bags thanks to those guys throwing our totes on top of other peoples stuff. It's also probably the reason our zippers have got smashed up. They have thrown the bag, only to have the zipper be on the bottom upon impact and to get smashed between a bowling ball and some metal. Even when asking for 'Fragile' to be put on your bowling bags, you must sign to say that in case anything happens to them, the Airline is not responsible. Well hang on, whats the point of putting fragile on it?? The airline must be held responsible for damaged caused by them. The hardest part would be proving the damage occured between check in and baggage claim.
But back to subject. I personally don't think any bowler who is legitimatly going to a tournament should ever pay excess. If you have flown with Virgin or QANTAS alot before hand tell them so, and explain that when you have flown with the competeing company they have let you on no hassles. I have got out of paying once because the Virgin guy said that I had flown with them many times over the past year. Or ask them how they recommend you transfer your bowling balls to the tournament and next time round you'll take that option. Suggest rival company here.

Later Da Cowman!

Back
Top Bottom