Is this a TBA rule ? Men can not use 6Lb bowling balls

happychicken

Staff member
I was bowling in leauge the other night and was bowling really bad so i thought stuff it. I picked up a 6Lb house ball and through it down a few times just to have some fun, I was the approached and Told that an adult man is not allowed to bowl with a 6Lb ball. So I hought that was a little strange so i went and printed out the TBA rule book just to check and rule
601 BOWLING BALL SPECIFICATIONS

Weight and Size
1. The new ball will not have a circumference of more than 27.002 inches or be less than 26.704 inches. The
corresponding diameters are 8.595 inches (218.3mm) and 8.500 inches (215.9 mm) respectively.
2. The weight of the ball will not exceed 16 pounds. There is no minimum weight.

So by this rule it seems i was allowed to bowl with it. Even though i stoped bowling with it because i was just mucking around i thought it sounded strange.

Does any one know of any other rules regarding men using 6lb house balls

I think what they meant was that only kids are allowed to use 6lb bowling balls. Some centres have a policy of keeping those behind the counter and only taking them out when there is a birthday party on.

What about the big kids cant they have fun too. If he was not bowling it silly or doing any thing wrong. It was just fun. And looking at the rules you have stated as long as the dimensions are within specs there is no minimum weight. I just think whoever said this to you don't know how to have fun .

It's not a TBA rule.

Aspley is one center that keep their light balls hidden from adults which is why we don't take our son there who through no fault of his own has a muscular condition that doesn't allow him to use heavy gear, but because he's 22 years old he had to struggle with a 10lb ball.

The main reason why Adult Men cant use 6LB balls is because the force that a adult puts on it. sometimes when they hit the pins they can actually crack and spilt in half

Mick,

If the ball doesnt exceed 16lb then there is no illegal minimum weight. you can bowl with any weight you like.

the rule is as per the book mate :)

hope this helps

jase

NO there is no TBA rule on 6lb balls being used. However as a past Manager of several centre it was always policy not to let Adult bowlers use the 6lb or 8lb balls as these would crack or shatter if force higher than a child would use. It is a costly exercise to replace these light weight balls to keep our juniors happy. I am surprised that the 6lb balls were readily available for you to use. As other have mentioned most centres that I have been associated with in previous years kept these balls behind the counter.

What you must also remember TBA rules are a guide and Centre Management / Owners have the right to implement any policy to safeguard their equipment and safety of the bowlers within that centre.:cool:

......I am surprised that the 6lb balls were readily available for you to use. As other have mentioned most centres that I have been associated with in previous years kept these balls behind the counter.
.:cool:

HAPPYCHICKEN just happens to be the bowl manager/proprietor. Which would explain how he was able to get his hands on the six-pounder in the first place.

There are 5 and 4 pound house balls if you really look!!! 6lb balls are a good way of sparing a 5-7-10 believe me!!

Picking up a 6lb ball in the middle of league play & for a bit of fun.

This might have been covered in an earlier thread on Totalbowling under "SANDBAGGING"

There are 5 and 4 pound house balls if you really look!!! 6lb balls are a good way of sparing a 5-7-10 believe me!!

Thats Right! 6lb balls are the only way to skillfully (if thats the right word) to pick up the 3 wisemen. Because of the weight the ball will bounce off the five and turn left or right onto the 7 or 10 (Depending on the bowler).

I saw a little kid do it one day at about 2 miles an hour. I also saw a 'bigger kid' spare the 2-10 off the right of the 2

Back
Top Bottom