ATTENTION ALL NORTH QUEENSLAND BOWLERS.....

Shadows Fall

Prince of Darkness
The North Queensland area has always been something of a bowling heartland, with tournaments always well supported. Over the years the North Queensland area has also been a nursery for some extremely talented bowlers, with many overcoming the tyranny of distance to represent North Queensland, Queensland and Australia.

So this year with a bit of spare time on my hands, I re-visited an idea that I had a few years ago, to create a North Queensland tournament circuit, that had it’s own rankings system, prizes and created a means to really promote the wealth of bowling talent in North Queensland.

After a lot of thinking, talking to people and more thinking, the Northern Series of Bowling was born.

The main objectives of the Northern Series of Bowling are;

* Increase tournament participation
* Strengthen and promote NQ bowling
* Support northern bowling centres who hold out tournaments
* Celebrate, recognise and nurture the wealth of bowling talent in NQ

SO WHAT TOURNAMENTS ARE INVOLVED ?

* Cairns Open
* Innisfail Open
* Kirwan Open
* Adult Inter-City Shield
* NQ Open Masters
* Mackay Open
* NQ (Burdekin) Open
* Sun City Open

** Kirwan Open is a new tournament that will be run for the first time in 2010.

SO HOW DOES IT WORK ?

At the conclusion of each tournament, bowlers will be allocated points depending on their placing. These points will be updated after every tournament, so that bowlers can clearly see where they are placed in the rankings. After the last ranked tournament of the year, the male and female bowlers with the most number of points will be crowned the 2010 North Queensland Bowlers of the Year

SO HOW MUCH WILL IT COST ME ?

For bowlers wishing to take part in the 2010 Northern Series of Bowling, all it will cost is $30. This is a one off payment which is made before the commencement of the first tournament in January.

All bowlers who register to take part in the 2010 Northern Series of Bowling will receive a prize pack for their participation. There will also be a male and female encouragement awards, the winners of which will receive a new Ball.

WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO COMPETE ?

Bowlers must be permanent residents of the North Queensland area to be eligible. The North Queensland area includes all bowlers who are registered members of the Cairns, Innisfail, Mt Isa, Mount Louisa, Kirwan, Burdekin or Mackay associations.

Attached to this post is an application form, so to register just fill out the form, attach your $30 and send it to;

Northern Series of Bowling Coordinator
81 Greenwood Drive, Kirwan
Townsville, QLD 4817

Please email me at [email protected], or drop me a PM if you have any questions.

Let's get behind this and make it a huge success.

Cheers

Steve :D

Attachments

• NORTHERN SERIES OF BOWLING APPLICATION FORM.doc
    109.5 KB · Views: 38
just wondering on how u gonna rank the womens division...r we still in the rankings if we bowl against the men ???

Kerri,

Just like your cheque, it's in the mail :D :D :D

Bren,

Trust you to ask me a hard question :D :D :D seriously though if a lady bowls open rather than ladies division and is still the highest placed lady in the field then she will recieve the 100 rankings points etc.

Cheers

Tubby :D

Okay Tubbs here is the next hard question, similar to the ladies after a fashion. There are two tournaments on that list that Juniors are not allowed to participate in at least I dont think they are. The NQ intercity and the Open Masters, where are you going to go with that?? Not that I think that the idea is not without merit, but as you can appreciate there is a lack of Junior events in NQ. No I am not critizing any person, bowling centre or proprietor it is just a fact. But why would you pay the required amount if the bowler cant participate in all the available tourneys. I do have a suggestion how about your best say 5 results out of the listed tournaments to determine the bowler of the year.

Congratulations to North Queensland with the announcement of the 2010 Northern Series of Bowling!

Bowlers must be permanent residents of the North Queensland area to be eligible. The North Queensland area includes all bowlers who are registered members of the Cairns, Innisfail, Mt Isa, Mount Louisa, Kirwan, Burdekin or Mackay associations.

As the mayor of NQ I was wondering if I would be exempt from the above criteria?

Seriously though, is there any reason why it cannot be opened up to bowlers who reside outside of NQ?

First of all to Mayor Qualischefski, :D

Mate obviously it would be great to have the likes of yourself, Quailly, George, Walshy, Carl and Mick to take part in this concept. But the main purpose of it is to get more North Queensland bowlers attending our local tournaments. This includes trying to get low to middle average players who don't usually bowl tournaments to have a go, and get some experience.

Unfortunately if this was opened up to outside NQ, then local participation may not be that great which would defeat the original idea. In saying that though, things may change in future years depending on how things go.

Greg,

In answer to your question I take your point, but the truth of the matter is that this concept is designed primarily for adult bowlers, and increasing their participation.

Juniors are more than welcome to take part in the 6 tournaments that they are eligible to bowl in (with the exception of Inter-City Shield and NQ Masters), which will no doubt still make them highly competitive as well as gaining invaluable experience.

If there is a lack of junior tournaments in NQ then perhaps you can take this up with the respective NQ and local junior committees and try and get something off the ground.

At the end of the day the choice is 100% yours and I totally respect that, but $30 is a very small price to pay for the wealth of experience that Jarrod and other juniors who take part will gain. To put this into perspective when I was a junior we couldn't bowl in any adult tournaments until we aged out. Talk about a culture shock when I bowled my first adult tournament. :eek::eek:

Cheers

This is a great concept and it would be great to see all the local NQ bowlers attend this events. Maybe you can host a pro-am at the Kirwan, Sun City, Burdekin, Cairns, Mackay Opens if the stars that reside outside the area attend they can help the average players and juniors at the pro-am event.

Not opening the rankings up to outsiders means we all have to move to Townsville :D :p

I really hope this works for the NQ area and the proprietors as they are great people and tournaments should be organised like this right across the country.

Cheers
Christian

Point taken Steve about juniors not being able to bowl in Senior tournaments but for a financial standpoint at this time it is better to bowl in NQ than to travel great distances to get to the big junior tourneys down south. However Jarrod will be in as bowling with the big boys in the NQ tournaments gets him the experience which will undoubtedly stand him in good stead in the years to come. Count him in I have to come to Townsvegas for the B & T at Mt Louisa any chance of you stopping in so I can give you the cash.

The Never Was

Just a point of clarification, all of the nominated tournaments (except Inter City Shield and NQ Masters) are open to bowlers from all over Australia and we welcome and encourage as many as possible to come and compete. It just means that only NQ bowlers receive rankings points towards the NQ Bowler of the year.

Cheers

Steve

PS - Christian you guys would totally fit in as North Queenslanders, we'd have you say 'ay in no time :)

Ay? But seriously Steve, this is a great idea and I wish you every success.

I noted your comment about the series may change in future years but you have to remember for some of us those future years are dwindling. (At a rate of knots I might add)

Hey Guys/Girls,

Almost all of the applications forms have gone out now, and there is a steady stream of people registering.

Just remember that there is only about 6-7 weeks until Cairns Open so make sure you register as 2010 is going to be a big year.

Application forms and money can either be given to me in person or sent by mail to the Northern Series of Bowling Coordinator - 81 Greenwood Drive, Kirwan Townsville 4817.

Cheers

Steve

Excellent John, it is really great to see the entries starting to come back in.

I have replied to your PM

Cheers

so i forgot eh? well uh maybe but ill give them out today, and purdue up here i cant afford the stubbies otty.

Hey Steve - I have a couple of entries and money - I will leave them in townsville for you when I am there over the weekend

Leanne

Thanks Stormy,

I have a few forms for some other Cairns bowlers, so if I leave them at the bowl can you taken them back to Cairns for me??? :D

Thanks Heaps

Steve :D :D

Back
Top Bottom