Youth Teams to Beijing for Asian Youth Championships

Jase

Admin
Staff member
Congratulations to the selected Teams to compete in Beijing for Asian Youth Championships...

After what was described as a very successful camp the youth teams are as follows…

Boys
Ben Coupland
Stephen Cowland
David Porto
Marc Triulcio

Girls
Cassie Staudinger
Bianca Flanagan
Kerry Ann Klop
Louise Ingoe

congrats ben mate you have waited so long to be there truely deserve it. i know you will bowl well over seas..

congrats to mark aswell no you will bowl well over seas

Great result for all, well done, but I have to say a special congrats to Marc. Best of luck overseas for the team.
Leanne Triulcio

Well done guys, you will represent us well. Also a big congrats to Queenslander Ben coupland, very nice indeed, once again congrats

Well done to all. Do your best, and enjoy the experience.
congrats.
Lawrie ( Animal ) Hill

Big congrats to all who made the teams.
Especially to Cow, Ben and Cassie.
In there like bedhair...hahaha!

A great achievement by some great bowlers.

All the best.
Jen.

Congrats to everyone for making the Aussie Youth team. All are awesome bowlers and all deserve it immensly.

Give em hell in Beijing.

Well done Stephen...
Congratulations on making the team...
:bullrider:GO COW!!!

John,Janelle and Georgia

Congrats to all the other bowlers...

Well done to all bowlers who made the team.

Having said that, I heard this team was not selected, but top 4 in a roll-off was taken.

If this is so, I'm not sure this was the right way to decide a team. You could get in if you had a really good weekend. I'm in no way implying this is what happened, but a really good consistent bowler may have had a bad weekend and missed because of it.

If this was the case, why was the team decided solely on a roll-off basis?

Michael,

The team was selected... it was not decided by a 'roll-off'.

The boys first had to nominate to participate in a selection camp that was held over the past weekend. The camp was comprised of fitness testing, a written test and bowling on sport patterns in order to test the boys current ability and knowledge.

The girls who nominated did not have to participate in a selection camp as there were not as many nominations. Also, there were a few girls that just previously completed the women's selection camp at the end of april. However, the team was decided by a selection panel.

Also, bowlers are observed during the year when they are participating in ranked events throughout Australia.

I hope this clarifies the selection process for you.

Regards,
Cassie Staudinger.

P.S. Congrats to everyone that was selected. It was well deserved by all.

Well said Cassie, I couldn't have said it better myself
Congratulations to the other people who made both teams. Especially to the 3 other guys who made it this weekend following a very mentally and physically tiring weekend

Porto

Thanks for the clarification Cassie.

But if I can have one further question answered.....I'm under the impression the 'selected' team consisted of the top scoring 4 guys and girls on the sport patterns you were tested on.

Was this the case? And if so, was this coincidence that the top 4 scorers were selected?

Thanks

You've been misinformed because we, the bowlers, weren't actually told who the top 4 scorers were.
We were tested on a multitude of things, one of those being scoring on the long & short patterns. Not just the scoring but the way we actually played on the conditions.
The best bowlers, the ones that were chosen, are inevitably going to be the ones who score the highest, or close to the highest. Therefore it is no coincidence that the people who were selected may have been the highest scorers.
We weren't just tested on scoring, we bowled for only 20% of the weekend. This is our Itinerary for the whole weekend

GIVE ME A C
GIVE ME AN O
GIVE ME A W

Way to go "COW" must've been the phone call right before the team got picked. You'll have to take us along as your good luck charms :p

Congrats to everyone else that made the team. Go away and make us proud.

Brad, Rachel, Shontay and Khynan

I was at the weekend camp & it was definitely a selection process but not a selection on the scoring last weekend- there were some excellent bowlers who scored extremely well over the weekend who were not selected. So the answer to the roll-off question is a definite "NO".
The bowlers who were selected were the most experienced in the field and if you check the selections with the TBA rankings you will see the correlation
(i think). The guys who are going to China will make a great team & we should all follow their progress proudly. The camp was a great experience & I think everyone who attended would have gained skills and a valuable insight to our sport and the hard work necessary to make it to the top. It was a very tiring and enjoyable weekend and I'm sure everyone gained from the weekend!

well said potter. Was most definately a selection process. A very enjoyable weekend and very tiring but i gained a lot from it and will be better prepared for next time.

To Cow, Porto, Marc and Ben, you all deserve to be in that team and im sure you will do australia proud in China. Congrats also to Cassie, Bianca, Louise and Kez on their selection.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom