Who would have been if they could have been?

Brett Hall

Who do you reckon could have made a big difference if they had of stuck with their bowling instead of giving tournies or the whole game away? Personally, I think Matt Smith from QLD was a genius on the lanes, now he's just a one league wonder ;)

I think you'll find that Matt Smith has just put bowling on the back burner since he is completing his final year of secondary school. Give him a few months of partying and he'll be back!

i think my brother Phillip Astill would of been a great bowler he just made the game look so easy! but now because he works 7 days a week as one othe head tec's in a bowling alley he is very unhappy with bowling and only bowls a league once every 2 weeks... but he still manages to make it look simple.
another person would of been Evan Brastings he had a great shot but he, like everyone else, has their reasons i still think he would of been a fantastic bowler..
seeya's!
luv shellbs

Are Michael Frazi & Chris Warner still around, cause they were awesome bowlers when I used to see 'em around.
Nah George, I wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt come back to bowling, we're good mates & feel the same way about bowling nowadays.

frazi and warner are still round i dont know if they are bowling much though..

Not a bad question actually - you could probably write a book on the subject.
There's been a lot of bowlers from Tasmania who - if they had of kept on with the game could have been anything.
Joel Wilson - Got sick of the crap that goes with bowling - whingeing, whining, politics - and retired in 1993-94 after a few years at the top - made a brief comeback in 1995-96 but quit again weeks later.
What most likely could have been one of Tasmania's best ever was gone for good.

Andrew Tylutki - Big, fiery and aggressive. Andrew was Captain of our Boys Shield Team team for a number of years including our 1990 Champions.
Had 8 years off and came back only recently at the age of 29 - averaging around 190 in league at Moonah but has appeared to have lost that "spark" he once had.
Possessed a huge shot which could have seen him go one to very big things - had the shits with the game after a while and left.

Todd Russell - An outstanding local player who won heaps of tournaments as a junior and was also a member of the 1990 Squad.
Would have probably done very well with good exposure to mainland competition on a regular basis - but lost interest in the sport - as many do here - with the isolation, lack of competition and great expense to come to the mainland. Retired about 1992.

Gavin Hawkes - Possibly a little under-rated outside Tasmania but from what I saw of this guy he could be a machine when he got going.
Possessed many shots - this lefty had a beautiful arm-swing and powerful shot but unfortunately fell into the trap many bowlers of a youngish age fall into - trying to crank the ball too much, which is not advantageous to ones game on the very dry lanes here.
Gavin had as much potential and mental toughness as anyone I ever saw from here to beat anybody on his day and, would have done very well in big tournaments but sadly lost interest in the game and now quite frankly, wants nothing to do with the sport becasue of the politics involved in it.
A talent definately wasted.

Adam Johnson - Big AJ as he was known was a huge man.
Standing at about 6'6" and weigh about 110kgs, AJ had the ability to tear a centre apart when he got going.
AJ was a team mate of mine in the 1992-1993 Shiled Squads and was our best player in the 1993 Shield.
My last memory of tournaments with AJ will be the 1993 Under 21 Coke Classic at Moonah.
The big fella's rocked in and absolutely blown Moonah to pieces averaging well over 240 to win the tournament. With that, he walked casually into the pro-shop grabbed his other gear sitting in there, grabbed his trophy and walked out of Moonah - not to return for another seven years.
Came back in 2000 to bowl Sponsors League as a part time player but never really got the "bug" back and quit again.
Business interests and being sick of the politics was mostly the reason why AJ gave it away - this guy could have been anything.

Matt Burtt - This guy had talent to burn. Won many tournaments around the country, was (Correct me if I'm wrong) an FIQ rep as well and went to America and bowled College Bowling, was a Shield Captain in 1993 and also shot a 300 as a junior - he was awesome.
Then in about 1994 he left Tasmania for good and hasn't been back since.
Haven't really heard of him since which is a great shame because he's another that would have been a "big-time" player.

I can also think of guys from the mainland such as David Brooker, A-J Foxford, Brad Hampson, Leo Di Benedetto, Danielle McAdam.
The list goes on..................

well i think that the south australians from the dream team (Matt draper, Matt branson, Peter Readett,craig solotuchin) would have been stars they where the best juniors to come out of this place!!!

paul longayroux and jason mooney are still bowling but i personally think they should bowl more tournies because... simply there champs

cheers thats my opinion

You got that right Paul. Matty Branson blew the Qualifying apart at Barossa cup a few years ago. James Godfery had game but footy took over. Ben Mudrakovic, Wayne Nelson and Martin Longayroux faded away too.

one guy that comes to mind is akira miani..
he stills bowls but if he had of kept on goin all the way he could of been huge i reckon.

i don't know if it's the same akira but an akira did bowl at east coast.
And if it is the same guy, then yeah, he can bowl!!!

personally i think the best bolwer to come from SA was Paul Longaroux he has an awesome shot that seems 2 use lil effort and has massive results.

and just to clear things up it was MATT GODFREY who bolwed sheild, not james, james was his dad who might i say was also an awesome bowler. but yeah ppl like craig and both the matts, jason, also peter were sum big names 2 come from sa. i mean they won sheild (boys div) once so they must have been doin sumtihng right!!! anywasy ppl i was also like 2 say a BIG congrats to michael chugg who bolwed his 2nd 300 on tues night.

well im outta here ppl
take it e z 8)

Geez, my memeory is going in my old age. Akira can still bowl, he should have stuck to that HUGE power shot he had in juniors though.

Back
Top Bottom